Zen Bound - game commentaries

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by NotYou, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ajd90

ajd90 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Yorkshire, UK
    I think it's because it's unique and in an app store that's becoming flooded with games that are very similar, such as all the different types of racing game, it's great to see a game with the level of polish that Zen Bound has. And when/if you play it, you'll see that the controls would never work as well on any other current platform. So it's great to see this level of originality on a platform that has, at times, seemed to be dominated by apps that offer little polish and give the impression that all the developer wants is to make a quick buck/59p.

2. SurgE

SurgE Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Singapore
    I actually bought this purely based on the reviews here. I gave in to the hype, downloading now. I sure hope it doesn't disappoint! hehe

3. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    Just one, difficult flower left on the Tree of Reflection... I have a creeping suspicion that something will bloom out of the trunk if I collect all the flowers.

It's just that dang Balance!!

I'm absolutely in love with the abstract figures on the Tree of Challenge. Great times.

Congrats on the beautiful game, Secret Exit! I like the soundtrack, too. A great idea.

Attached Files:

4. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    ugh lol. Not everyone is into "hardcore" bondage or bondage itself.

5. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    I'm enjoying this game very much.

Very unique and relaxing to play.

6. Awesome! Definitely gotta find a way to get this. It's one of the few I'd be willing to jump through Canada's stupid eCommerce hoops for. Anyone wanna send me a US iTunes card? :D

7. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    Zen Bound

Firstly my apologies to Chillingo due to my suspicions of the seemingly phantom release date and wondering if this was just hype building....
    I was just a frustrated consumer waiting to purchase this. :eek:

Downloaded it without hesitation this morning, played a couple of levels and I love it.

Many, many thanks to Chillingo and equally as important the Secret Exit Dev team for a superb title.

:D

8. SurgE

SurgE Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Singapore
    Awesome game! Definitely lives up to all the hype! I actually enjoyed the relaxing pace of this game. At the moment where I first managed to bind something up to 99%, I knew I was addicted.

9. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    good idea......

I would call it "widdle/wrap" (mode): custom puzzles
    fassion your own wood pieces and wrap them and share online.

10. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I downloaded the game this morning, but won't have a chance to play until later this evening.

So I'll comment on the only thing I can... the icon is awesome. I love how it looks like a little 3-D piece of wood. Subtle and very nicely done :)

11. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    We here at Illusion Labs like it very much too, so go ahead and grab it!

12. Chillingo

Chillingo Well-Known Member

Sway

Likewise ! Both Zen Bound and Sway are interstellar titles -- a must for anyone with an iphone/ipod touch. People -- please don't forget to support them by giving app store reviews on iTunes. Thank you.

13. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Is there any reward for completing a sculpture for 100%? So far I couldn't get 100% because every time I exceed the minimum passing percentage I accidentally touch the end nail, hence ending the game. Hopefully there will be a button that the player can press when he/she feels like completing it.

14. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Eh, I don't get this game. I didn't get Nurikabe either at first and now I love it, so I'm not giving up hope. But I played it all of one minute before moving on to other games.

15. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    incentive??? you get all 3 flowers in full bloom.

idk. maybe it's an OCD thing but i want all the flowers in full bloom :p

agree regarding hitting the nail. they should change it to wrap around the nail to finish.

16. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

1 blossom for 70%
    2 blossoms for 85%
    3 blossoms for 99%

17. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

We tried that at first, and the result was that everyone who picked up the game had no idea how to complete a level. It was simply not intuitive.

As a tip, try painting the area around the nail first, before hitting 70%, then painting the rest of the object.

18. Gieve

Gieve Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Is it just me or is tranquility a very hard statue to get the last bloom with... oh well, i'll just keep on trying :)

Once again Frand, well done!!! not only is it an incredible game, but it's getting the press coverage it deserves, which should happily bring it to the attention of a wide audience, ultimately, padding out your pocket quite well ;) and hopefully leading to more great games from you guys. I can not wait!!!

oh........ what was that announcement you'd make after Zen Bounds release ?!;)

19. lopches

lopches Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    i <3 secretexit. Marry me please!

20. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    Wow !

Just downloaded and played the first three "branches"

I'm almost concerned about playing it too much for fear of beating this game!

Controls, Graphics, Sound and Concept is unreal, feels like my brain is smiling when i play this!

Eye and Brain Candy !

This definitely raised the bar for apps in the app store!

Going to be top paid app in to time.