Zen Bound - game commentaries

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by NotYou, Feb 25, 2009.

1. wonderva

wonderva Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    ok what the heck.
    Ill buy this game and I'll get an itunes gift card later in the week, so i can also get Sway.

2. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    All right!!!

YES! Nice catch! Playing this till bed see you suckers later!!!

*WOOHOO!!!!!!* :D:D:D

3. TimothyR

TimothyR Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Ah yes, all nice and dandy. Now for Sway. ;)

4. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    That's the way to do it.

Trust me, if there is anything more satisfying than justified hype, I'd like to know what it is. :)

5. Gieve

Gieve Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    God bless Frand!!! and God bless Apple for FINALLY letting us play this drop of pure awesomeness!!!

6. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Now lets see if this as relaxing as I've heard it is supposed to be ; )

7. polyplay

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    "the path upward is lit"

commence drooling.

8. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    see the level browser tree??

AH MAZING!!!

when the flower blooms and it spits out gold beams. ORGASM!!!
    the responsive lamps. ORGASM

9. polyplay

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    I hate to do this, I really do, but first two semi-complaints:

The rope is a bit loose at times (although I will probably learn to compensate).

and

I wish the rope wouldn't automatically tie off on the nail when you're finished... sometimes I have more painting to do. Maybe a little button, or a tap to "hammer" the nail with the rope into the object?

10. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    I'm going to be one with my iDevice for the next few weeks. ^ ^

11. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

The tree menu rocks. Tilt the iPhone and it reacts to the accelerometer. VERY Polished game. I can't figure out how to shoot yet, but I'm having fun tying up stuff while I wait for enemies to attack!

12. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Just in time to go to work :D

Puzzle Quest 2, Zen Bound, PicGrid... busy night tonight :D

13. Justom

Justom Well-Known Member

FINALLY! Oh my god I cannot wait for it any longer! Must buy immediately! :)

14. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I truelly hate Chillingo for CRAPPY translations.
    I already re-transalted Vector Tanks for Peter Hirschbirg into GOOD German.
    Same problem with Zen Bound... such a fantastic game gets destroyed by a BAD translation. Could cry.

15. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    First impressions - does not live up the hype. Nicely done, interesting and very high production value and polish. But let's not kid ourselves, wrapping wooden objects in string does not a fun game make. I'd rather kill Dracula, defend towers, race cars or figure out how to have a frog eat a fly.

It's a great job, but not much of a game or puzzle.

16. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    The other thread was closed and here are my closing comments.
    Maybe apple was waiting for me to hit 1000 posts and I was right. I predicted today.
    :p

17. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    The game is beautiful fun. Translation.

"All your base are belong to us."

That's all I have to say about that. That's a classic line.
    I just "played" one "level." It sounded fantastic. I really pay no attention to translation. After playing through Shenmue, nothing offends me.

18. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Who predicted there would be guys who did not play bondage but bought it anyways and didn't realize they didn't like these games?

19. polyplay

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    A quick initial write-up/review for the uninitiated, based on first impressions:

Zen Bound is a sequel to the open-ware "game" Zen Bondage, released for Windows a few years ago. The goal is to cover a wooden object with rope; as you wrap the rope around the model, paint emanates from the rope, painting the object. Because wrapping the rope too hastily can cause an area of the object to be unreachable, there is an incentive for you to take your time and wrap carefully, covering every facet of the object (there is no time or rope limit). For each level, there are certain coverage goals. Unlocking a certain number of goals unlocks new models to explore.

The game controls intuitively, using multi-touch to help make accurate movements. If you make a mistake, it's all on you. Swiping rotates the object in the direction of the swipe, like the original. Tilt is also supported for the more adventurous.

The game is presented magnificently. The graphics are simply the best the iPhone/iPod Touch has seen, with details like shadows and color/paint schemes unique to the object. The menu screen consists of advancing up the trunk of a cherry tree; completing goals causes flowers to bloom and new levels to open. There are 51 levels in all, each unique and wonderfully rendered. The objects look like real wood, and the rope looks and behaves like real rope. The music should sound somewhat familiar to fans of the original; Ghost Monkey, a Finnish producer/DJ, provides some unique downtempo electronic music that nicely accompanies the aesthetic of the game.

Overall, this game is one of the most remarkable apps available on the App Store. It's pure fun, and it's a great app to show off to friends. The replay value of this is fantastic the physics and objects are just so unique and intricate that it is just plain fun to play. From a guy who has spent more money than he should have on his iPod Touch, trust me: this really is an indespensable app.

Verdict: worth the hype, and definitely, unequivocally worth the $5.

20. Gieve

Gieve Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    tell me about it ;)

already done the croc statue (patience, how symbolic) :) all of them 100% so far

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!!!