Zen Bound 2

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Frand, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

#1 Frand, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    June 23rd, 2010 - Zen Bound 2 will take advantage of iOS4 anti-aliasing on 3rd Gen devices.

What a difference a day makes! Anti-aliasing enabled on 3rd gen devices. (Engineering speke for "less jaggy pixels".)

Side-by-side with the ducky:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And some other random shots:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our visual goal is for Zen Bound 2 to be the most beautiful game on iPhone, bar none.

----
    June 16th, 2010 - Zen Bound 2 will be available on multiple platforms: iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, PC and Mac.

On desktop platforms the game supports mouse, trackpad and multi-touch trackpad controls (including the touch surface on the Magic Mouse).

----
    (Older archived original post.)

Hi guys,

Our holidays are starting to be over, and I thought I'd spill it out that development is starting on a 3GS-specific version of Zen Bound.

We intend to get our hands dirty with the new hardware and see how we can take advantage of its new capabilities. That is, as soon as we can get our hands on a 3GS, they're still not selling over here on this dark corner of the planet. Should be soon, though.

Plans may change, but our current aim is to develop this as a technical and visual upgrade to the current game with no changes in the amount of levels (don't think of this as an expansion or a sequel, it's not). It will only run on a 3GS.

It will be a separate product in the App Store, not an update to the existing game. I'm sure many who are used to the free lunches in the App Store will find this controversial, but I remind that we need to eat too, and we believe everyone will see that the increase in quality will be worth the price.

And no, we haven't yet decided on a price, and will not do so until we are much closer to release. This brings us to the release date: there isn't one yet, we're only now starting and doing this right will take longer than we expect.

I'll be keeping everyone posted of the progress when there is something to show :)

[​IMG]

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    I'm excited. :)

arn

3. unconnected

unconnected Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    London, UK
    I'll definitely grab this when it comes out, although I'm interested how you could improve on the superb visuals already in the app.

Out of interest, what would happen if you tried to run this on a non-3GS handset? And is it worth Apple stepping in with some logic in the App Store to prevent customers with hardware that wasn't compatible with the app from purchasing it?

Going forward I can see more and more developers releasing 3GS specific content (and newer hardware as it becomes available) and yet there hasn't been any real hints as to how Apple would differentiate (if at all) the content for these different platforms.

Anyway, good to see you testing the waters in this rather controversial (although it shouldn't be!) area.

Good luck!

4. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Only 3GS? Say that again in September! ;) :D

5. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Why not add an "in-app purchase" function to the existing game, for 99¢, that will only work for owners of a 3GS? This way, you'll be able to treat existing customers w/ a courtesy, and new customers pay the same rate as usual?

Is it possible to distinguish between older devices and the 3GS, via the in-app purchase function?

I love the game, but I don't mind telling you that I'm not going to be interested in re-buying it for full price, w/o new content.

6. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I'm really hope that with each new handset I won't have to go and buy my same apps all over again just to see some optimal improvements... :rolleyes:

As long as the old version will continue to work on the 3GS I won't get the new version unless it adds a substantial amount of content to the game... No point as I already have it...

7. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Setting up a DLC server with security, creating an in-game store for additional content, re-architecting Zen Bound to a hypothetical modular renderer architecture and then wondering how on earth to get the word out of a new DLC instead of a new app would push the scale of the project far beyond the single but already time-consuming thing we're trying to achieve.

And I don't mind pointing out that we haven't yet said anything about the price :)

8. DLC doesn't work that way. See my post here.

I for one would love to see a 3GS version of this -- it's already graphically stunning, so a 3GS version would just blow me away. And I already bought the original, so I wouldn't have a problem paying for a new one -- though a reduced introductory price would be nice. :)

9. unconnected

unconnected Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    London, UK
    Thanks for that insight Frand, that answers my question in another thread about DLC perfectly.

Any hints on what form the improved visuals will take?

10. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

We've got a number of ideas, but since we don't yet have the hardware it's too soon to say which ones are feasible. Screenshots will be posted here as soon as there's anything to show, but honestly that will be a long while from now.

11. Googlyhead

Googlyhead Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Stupid question, but could the "new" app not include support for the older hardware too? So anyone purchasing for a 3GS will still have the benefit of only having to manage a single app, just the "enhanced" version. (in the same way that the original will work consistently across all devices)

12. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Yaaaaay an iphone 3gs specific version, GOOD THING I ONLY HAVE AN ITOUCH 2nd gen. Thanks devs...hope noone else catches onto this and makes a really stupid trend out of it

13. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    ... Huh?

14. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Um, extrapolate into the future if you will. Your IPT 2nd gen will be obsolete at some point, and a majority of idevice users will have more upgraded hardware. This is NOT a stupid trend. It is one that is merely attempting to experiment and embrace the vanguard of the iphone's potential, without abandoning the older hardware (which can still play the standard versions of the apps).

15. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I tried the lite version of the game and it wasn't really for me, but if this 3GS version truly takes advantage of the 3GS and it's reasonably priced, then you'll have my money.

16. RDJr

RDJr Member

Apr 29, 2009
    I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I'm gonna try. I can't seem to get the soundtrack. I put my email in, I got an email to sign up for a newsletter, but no links for tracks or anything. Can anyone help?

17. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    I never purchased the original but would be all over a 3GS specific version if the changes were incremental enough.

18. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco

A visual upgrade to an already outstanding-looking experience?

Count me in!

19. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    Yeah. I heard about this in the SlideToPlay podcast. Its supposed to be high quality graphics and really good. Interesting.

20. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Click the "Secret Exit" button on the main menu of Zen Bound, and it'll take you to our iPhone-specific website. Input your email there into the section on the top of the page, and you'll be emailed a download link. Download the file using your computer.