Universal Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Generation (by Konami Digital Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    @GreedPhantom, @Yutsud: There were many bugs and poor design choices. It felt like an accidental worldwide release (it was soft-launch in CA only prior to this).

@Hephaestus: You don't have to win to get honor points. Just doing things in each duel will gain you points. That said, if you're getting slaughtered and your side of the board wiped often with smf and other such cards you probably won't get very many honor points.

In the DS versions you could replay the easier levels of the Duelist battles until you gained some better cards, then you'd progress to more difficult battles. I did not see any way to replay battles in this iOS version. It really needs to let you, or those who do not pay for the powerful cards will not be able to get too far into the campaign.

You can also duel against people to gain honor points, but you will probably run into the same problem (and it isn't even possible at the moment since they took the servers down).

2. Kangtakang

Kangtakang Member

Jan 21, 2014
    I only can add my friend to the list , but cant invite him to play, even the lobby has nobody in there ?!
    Sync sometime erase my card and progress :(

Btw YGOPro is just suddenly come out for IOS, and its online playing is seem to be better than this game.

3. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Shame this is in such a sorry state. Have read through the reviews and there's a number of key issues.
    I tried to load this up on my 6plus using the ipa edit trick. It actually runs and looks ok. But, it only runs once and then after that it just crashes, so I've deleted it. I did have a look around, and on the 6 plus things are not too small and it definitely looks good enough. Unfortunately another case of 6 plus held back by being catagorized as a phone.

Doesn't really matter anyway, sounds like there's a few outstanding issues. Hopefully this is a work in progress.

4. littlenicky44

littlenicky44 Active Member

Feb 5, 2014
    So what are people thinking other than the syncing issue? It is a bit low production value but otherwise I am having tons of fun

5. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Game quits on me when I try to log in, and it's sitting at the Synching screen.

6. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Anyone?
    Can't even play it... even in offline mode, it kicks me out of the game.

7. littlenicky44

Feb 5, 2014
    I can get in just fine, surprised no ones talking about this it's fairly fun

8. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Well.. I was able to bypass the Synching thing... took me 5 tries, and after 10 min just sitting there, it went through..

when I try to play a game, and after the paper/rock/scissors
    it kicks me out of the game..

Tried it without wifi, and airplane mode.. and nothing..

what a POS is this game then...
    was really looking forward to it..
    Even contacted their support, and nothing....

9. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Anyone playing this should try ygopro!! It's better than this in the dueling section (it got no story) but it's hella fun!!!

10. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    This is what I got back from them

What it basically boils down to in your case, I'm afraid, is that while the iPad Air 3 is a device that's compatible with the game (Airs 1 and 2 are not), unfortunately the current version of Apple's iOS, the one that you're using, has some fundamental problems that are causing difficulties in lots of mobile games (not just from Konami). This has been going on ever since they came out with 8.0.0, I'm afraid, and people online are still pretty angry over it. Here's an article detailing the issue: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/12/09/apple-releases-ios-8-1-2/ Basically, things are going to be a bit rough with most-to-all mobile games for iOS, until Apple releases a new version of iOS. Apple doesn't make it easy, but if you're able to revert back to one of the iOS 7s, all that crashing should disappear outright.

There's also a patch for this game coming out very imminently; I can't say exactly when, but I assume it's going to be very quickly indeed. This patch might also clear up any crashing issues you're experiencing, as it will iron out any remaining wrinkles with the game itself. So please try again at that time (soon). If it does not address your particular issue with the rock/paper/scissors crash, though, then it's certainly your iOS 8.1.2 that's causing the problems.

Just to rule out any possible, stray reasons, I'd definitely suggest to uninstall and redownload the app. Please make sure to power down your device in-between, to clear out the cache from the uninstall. That will rule out the app's previous install being corrupted.

You also want to make sure that the internet connection you're using is very good: at least 4G, really, or a Wi-Fi synced with the same. Otherwise that might be causing some time-out issues.

There is one tip we've heard from our players in other games. I'm not sure if it will work for your case, but I feel that it's worth a shot if nothing else. Here are the steps:

1. In iOS (not the app) Go to Settings, ->Privacy, -> Location Services, -> System Services.
    2. Disable Wi-Fi Networking. (This doesn't turn off your Wi-Fi.)

From what you're describing though, the outright crashing? That really sounds like an iOS 8 thing. But please try these various steps above and let me know if any of it pushes you past the crashing, so we can at least rule it out. Otherwise, I fear that you won't be able to run the app on that device as-is. In that case, I'd suggest speaking to iTunes for a refund of any purchases you might have made, since we have no ETA on when a new iOS might be released.

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    That's some heavy denial right there.
    It's the game, not the iOS.
    That Forbes article they cheaply throw in says nothing about app crashes being a thing of current iOS builds.
    Meh to them. Yggpro has it over this.

12. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Tried the update that came out a few hours ago. Can verify that it has improved stability on my device.
    Why they went to so much effort to write that epic denial post I don't know. This update seems to have done the trick. Hope it has for everyone else too.

13. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    it seems to work better..
    I was able to play 2 games.. woohoo...

But.. that Synching still takes till Christmas....
    Did seem they got rid of "Application version update check"

idk what it's synching.... your whole device?? guess I'll try later when I have no Wifi to see if it still works..
    Now I am waking up and get ready for work...

14. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    ALRIGHT...

that new update made the game work finally...

YAY...

synching still seems to be taking a bit..
    but at least it won't crash and I am able to play offline.

And yes. Getting their response, and 4 hours later there was an update :)

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Have been able to give this a fairer go with the new stability. Unfortunately I've found that tinsel with his/her review a few pages back was just too right on the number of Pop ups you need to respond to at all phases. A constant barrage of yes or no questions. I hope they improve this mechanic as other yugioh games work around this. For now I've put this aside due to that.

16. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    that I did noticed.... really annoying...
    That's why I tend to keep my spell cards in my hand..
    every step confirming 2-5 times , depending on how many you have down is really annoying..

So let's hope they add like an ... "Don't ask for this turn" option..

17. littlenicky44

Feb 5, 2014
    Looks like they have fixed the syncing issue, seriously this game is good I'm surprised no ones talking about it.

18. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    iPhone/iPod version plz

19. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Synching is awesome now, and 100000 faster.
    I am enjoying the game a lot now.

20. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Even with the 1 million pop up questions per turn?
    I couldn't get past it. There's been plenty of digital Yugioh games (the only other full strength one on iOS is ygopro) and it manages not to use even half of the amount of pop ups.