Universal Ys Chronicles II (by DotEmu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Yeah! Actually, it was originally planned to be released in Dec 2015 but it got delayed for Q1 2016, so it should hit iOS in one of the upcoming weeks. They said it "will make it in time" so there shouldnt be any further delays now.

2. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015

The game scores a 63 on metacritic with a 8.8 userscore. Guess this game is as niche as it gets. I forgot how annoying it is that every time when you bump into a NPC, the NPC starts to talk to you. And you bump into NPCs a lot. I've never finished the first one, because I felt lost all the time. Already feel lost now, time to search for a game guide.

3. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    i would gladly buy this and the FF series if they had an IAP of a god mode, otherwise I don't have the life/time to sink into these grinds.

4. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    This game is less than 10 hours long. There's no grinding involved. It's pretty much infamous for its blazing speed.

5. hoodwinkedfool

hoodwinkedfool Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2011
    So... who rated this one star and why?

6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I picked up Ys 1 last night after this was released and have to say I'm not a fan. I can see why the combat system is kind of love it or hate it. I just found it incredibly annoying. Interesting that 2 adds a shmup like mechanic but I'm not sure I'll ever get to finishing part 1.

Maybe it'll grow on me. But I just blew my usual spending limit to pick up FF IX and, well, this is going to be put to the side for quite a while at the very least.

7. Geoff

Geoff New Member

Feb 11, 2016
    It's awesome

This is a great game, so worth the money. I almost gave up on IOS games, so many in app purchases and crap and once in, there was little to do but spend more money... This is a game where you need to level your character up through hard work, not through your Visa card. I can't say enough good things about it really. It's unique, keeps you entertained, has that good old Swords and Sandals comedic streak through it.

8. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Well, the new Final Fantasy IX port, as well as the Final Fantasy VII port, DO have cheats you can enable to max stats and/or currency. Also, you can turn enemy battles on/off. So, there ya go!

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Dont limit yourself to these grind games... Im pretty sure there are 41,265,128 games on the appstore that is pay2win and negate grinding altogether. ;)

10. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    #30 Dailon80, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    There is a bundle in the store now so because I bought I this only cost me 2$ and that's a no duh decision! Glad to have both this a great ARPG.

And to add my two cents
    Grinding is a major part of RPGs to me as I have always enjoyed the grinding aspect of these games. These games are to be played and enjoyed at a slower speed than an action game or shoot em up its an RPG people! take the grind away and it's an adventure or action game not an RPG in its true RPG form. But I also consider DQ And FF as the standard for RPGs and Come from the old school been gaming since 86 and games were much harder back then. I hate grind less RPGs and easy games that require zero gaming skill and it def appears I'm in the minority. But as stated above FF has added features that help those that don't want to take the time to enjoy the game and instead want to cheat their way through it.

With Ys the lack of grinding isn't near as crucial and it's still bad ass but Ys is an ARPG and grinding is usually less is that style of game and that's fine. I wasn't knocking this series cuz I love it for what it is!

11. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Sweet! I had noticed the bundle, but didn't know you could pay a discount price to buy it if you already had Part 1. I now need to complete some games so I can free up some space...

12. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    2$ Is a great deal

13. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yup. I just completed the bundle because I felt like some ARPG bumpin & grindin this morning. These are definitely fun games! Looking forward to any more they can crank out.