Universal Ys Chronicles 1 (by DotEmu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

[​IMG]

[thread=260551][​IMG][/thread] [thread=221693][​IMG][/thread] [thread=260554][​IMG][/thread] [thread=257640][​IMG][/thread] [thread=260719][​IMG][/thread][thread=260468][​IMG][/thread][thread=260574][​IMG][/thread][thread=260505][​IMG][/thread]

Ys Chronicles 1

[​IMG]

Is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

April 30th, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE:***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo

2. Spartyfan6262

Spartyfan6262 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Anyone have any tips for beating the first boss? I'm level 4, and this is my first foray into the Ys series. He keeps handing me my lunch, and I can't get him down to below one quarter of his health. Are the rest of the bosses harder than this first one? If so, maybe I'd better switch to Trulon!

3. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Grinding to level 5 using the knights outside the shrine would be a good first step. If you head over by the bridge to the Bandit's hideout, you can get in a quick loop of 3 respawning knights and get to level 5 within a couple minutes.

Also, what's your equipment layout? Having the second tier sword, shield, or armor is a gigantic help. If you haven't done so already, find the Golden Urn in a pond in the eastern portion of the field area (close to Zeptik east/west, but a bit further south). Head back to Minea and sell it for 2000 or 2200 gold (depending on your patience negotiating with the pawnshop owner), then buy some better equipment.

The first boss is pretty brutal - there's a reason there's a 100 point achievement for beating him without taking damage. You mostly have to be patient and hang around the top or bottom of the screen until there's a clear path to hit him without getting roasted by the fire streams. Since his appearances are random, it can take a while until he shows up in the middle of the screen, but not being protected by fire.

4. Spartyfan6262

Jan 4, 2015
    Thanks for the detailed answer. I have a long sword, tier 1 shield and chain mail so far. I'll grind to level 5 or 6 and then try again.

5. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I agree with all that! He gave me a hard time for a while, but as soon as I really took my time with a lot of patience, I was able to squeak by. Fun boss though. Way more difficult than the turn-based RPGs that I usually play.

6. Spartyfan6262

Jan 4, 2015
    Thanks guys. Just beat him. Now I just need to level a little more to handle the enemies that come after that boss through the broken wall.

7. UScr00ge

UScr00ge Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Anyone else experiencing a crash in the room that lowers your health in Dahm Tower?

8. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yeah, it's a known bug. The devs are probably working hard on it (and the one that comes up in the final boss battle), but in the meantime it seems you can get around it by solving the puzzle of that room before you try to go through it.

Head out to the balcony and you'll notice the pillars kind of look like organ pipes. Use the hammer on each one until you find the one that will break. That will stop the evil music from draining your life, and stop the evil bug from killing your game.

9. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Hope the new update fixes the crashes people were experiencing. It never crashed on me, but maybe I was just lucky.

However, I am loving the new option for a position lock on the D-pad. Thanks very much, DotEmu, I feel like I have better control now.

10. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    What's the difference between "chronicles mode" and "original mode"? Really should put some info in the game... otherwise how do they expect players who never played Ys before to find out??

11. asaw2

asaw2 Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2013
    South korea
    It's only difference charactor portrait art.
    Chronicles is PSP version's portrait,
    Original is first remake pc version,
    Eternal's portrait art.
    Just as it.

12. Johnny1st

Johnny1st Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Achievements

Can someone please tell me all of the achievements (also the hidden ones) of this ios version and how to get them?
    (Put them in spoiler tags if you want or PM me) Thanks!

13. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I used spoiler tags since I can't remember what was hidden and what wasn't. Most of them are pretty self explanatory, but I've added comments on a couple of them...

Fire Pit - 20 points - Defeat the first boss

The Snake - 20 points - Defeat the second boss

Hell Bats - 40 points - Defeat the third boss

Mantis - 40 points - Defeat the fourth boss

Rock My World - 40 points - Defeat the fifth boss

Face Off - 60 points - Defeat the sixth boss

Apocalypse - 80 points - Defeat Dark Fact

Charming - 20 points - Rescue Feena from the Temple

Make It Rain - 20 points - Have more than 10,000 gold in your possession

Light and Shade - 20 points - Listen to Reah recite her poem (bring her the scrap of paper she's written it on when you bring her the Silver Harmonica)

Stop It - 40 points - Scare Feena (pin her in a tunnel when you're leading her around)

Hells Bells - 40 points - Return the Bells of Zeptik to the mayor

Stuff Freak - 60 points - Get all the inventory items (armor, sword, shield, rings)

Catch 'em All - 60 points - Collect all the items (books, herbs, etc)

Not Afraid - 20 points - Defeat 50 enemies

Ninja - 20 points - Do not take a hit between Barbado and Minea

The Smart Way - 40 points - "Receive a free sword (the old way)" - I actually have no idea how this one is supposed to work, maybe you have to find the Talwar in Darm Tower? I already had one at the time...

Come At Me Bro - 20 points - Defeat 100 enemies

God Mode On - 100 points - Defeat the first boss without taking damage

You are Freaking Out - 20 points - Go through more than 50 mirrors

Seriously?! - 20 points - Die more than 15 times against Dark Fact (this is cumulative - you can win, then reload your save and go back to dying, or replay the game)

Be Proud - 80 points - Beat Time Attack

BookWorm - 60 points - Complete all entries in the notebook (talk to everyone)

Ethologist - 40 points - Complete all entries in the bestiary (defeat all enemies enough time to get all their HP/DEF/ATK data)

Battle God - 20 points - Defeat over 300 enemies

14. Johnny1st

Johnny1st Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2011
    That's quite a list! Thanks's a lot!

15. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Yay! Just been discounted! Down to £2.29 sterling. Presumably due to Ys II coming out shortly.

Just picked it up. Very pleased!

16. OrangutanKungfu

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    This was loads of fun! Been playing it on and off for a few weeks, but really made me smile. Deserves more love.

Right, on to Ys II at some point...

17. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Has this game been updated to 64-bit? Many dotemu games aren't at the moment.

18. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    This game released after 64-bit was made mandatory for developers, so yes, it's good to go.

19. Googgi78

Googgi78 Active Member

Dec 30, 2014
    I have very fond memories of the Y's series. I actual had 1-3 on the TurboDuo in the 90's. The music was amazing on that system for the time.

Picked this up just the other day when it went on sale for $.99 and what a blast. Holy hell the bats though. I don't remember that part at all! Maybe it was so traumatic that I've blocked it from my memory. I've almost snapped my phone in half a few times now. Anyone have any pointers?

20. OrangutanKungfu

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Oh, the motherflipping bats! Many, many tries... Not sure what worked for me in the end. Need to give yourself room so they pack together and it's easier to avoid them, but also stay close enough to dart in and hit. Ugh... Just keep trying, keep dying, and eventually you'll get there.

The final boss is also a treat. I loved this game!