Universal Ys Chronicles 1 (by DotEmu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Why do people like this game? I could never stand this bump system. Play y's seven for psp with a regular fighting system, super moves, special attacks and on the fly 3 on 3 party switching; who wouldn't want to be Dogi or Geese. Only thing I hate is bosses got a lotta health but gaining 1 level can make a big difference. Same is true if you synthesize a weapon with the materials you excavate. Better story too

2. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    My concerns too. Is combat limited to just ramming everything? Seems like it would get old quickly, and it does look like he is in a full sprint everywhere to me as well. As far as action RPG's go my experience is mostly rooted in Zelda games, should I expect to also like this one, or are they 2 different style of games altogether?

3. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Ys is very different from Zelda. The focus is on action with almost no puzzles. The pace is about 10x faster, and the bosses are about 10x deadlier. I love them both, but comparing them is about as fruitful as comparing chess to ice hockey would be.

4. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    SO thrilled to have this one on iPhone 6+ with MFI controller support. Guess who's staying up late tonight to game?! *ignores Ys: Memories of Celceta on Vita now* :)

5. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    "Adol tries rubbing some on his body"
    "Well? What is annoying? I can't believe it..."
    "Sorry, I didn't think."

Why the hell did they retranslate this game and do a horrible job at it?

6. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I've been wondering the same thing. They didn't even get location names right.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Even character name translations are off. Lol.

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #68 Exact-Psience, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    Ys 1 and 2's combat system is akin to the original ascii roguelikes. You bump into them to deal damage. What this game did well back in the day, was transition that simple combat system into a fastpaced realtime system.

It's an old system, but it works with the pace that this game is gunning for.

Where this game shines IMO is how open the quest system is, which we cant see in modern games anymore. Mostly true with subquests. NPCs just tell you what they know, but they can be very useful info that you wont realize that they are actually useful.

If someone in this game says he lost a ring, he wont remind you what it is. You might find a clue in notes page in the main menu, but the ring itself wont have any clue if it's the one he lost. There wont be excalamation points on NPCs to let you know you have something they need.

Even items. The items do not exactly tell you what they do. One item in particular will reveal 1 hidden door in an entire dungeon. You cant equip this item all the time, coz while it gives you sight and access to this ONE hidden door, it makes you lose sight of all enemies.

One last thing i want to point out, is that there isnt a clue that you'll have to go back to a certain NPC after certain quests that give you items. You will have ZERO clue that that is going to happen, except that the NPC earlier expressed his interest in helping without actually saying "i'll give you a sword later" or something like that.

I wont go into detail, but you can haggle for selling and buying prices in this game. ;)

Such is the nature of the classics. Even Final Fantasy 1 had this same open system, where players who started their first final fantasy romp with the playstation 1, most in the form of FF7, easily got frustrated.

And it is an awesome no hand-holding system. These are classic titles that will make you miss stuff if you arent using a walkthrough. It's a great feeling of accomplishment when you discover them.

Games nowadays have blips on npcs to show they have a subquest for you, or if you have something that will trigger a conversation with them. Games today have ingame specific description as to what an item's purpose is, or at least a fairly easy clue to help players out. Games now have everything listed out for you. Each quest, each clue, each NPC and what they need or what they provide, are all organized in-game for the player to use.

These type of games did evolve though, hence the huge improvement in later Final Fantasy titles, and in Ys titles. Even titles like Lufia had their brutal moments in terms of no-hand-holding to help you progress.

Back in the day the words "i am currently stuck" was pretty common, coz the clues can be very subtle.

As for progress, im 6 hours into the game, and if i remember correctly, i should be halfway through, coz im about to
    fight the boss to acquire the third book now.

Im really enjoying this port, and DotEmu has yet to fail me on their ports. This is probably one of their best IMO.

9. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Mmm, more than halfway, I'd say. And yes, I hope this is the start of a new chapter for DotEmu. Falcom is a very good partner if DotEmu can deliver.

10. yoshthug

yoshthug Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Chicago
    What's the difference between Chronicles and original story?

11. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Just the portrait art/soundtrack, if I remember correctly.

12. yoshthug

yoshthug Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Chicago
    So which one do you recommend playing?

13. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I like playing in Chronicle mode for the portraits. The soundtrack can be independently toggled, and for that I prefer the original tunes.

14. Serenityinaz12

Serenityinaz12 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Have all the ys games been translated and available in English over time or still some haven't?

15. Hero Killer Id

Hero Killer Id Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    We don't have every version of every game and we are missing a couple of side games I think.

But the only unavailable main title is Ys 5.

Now how about some Legend of Heroes releases. Though honestly is probably prefer those on a vita release.

16. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Ys has a very, very complicated history. I'll make a post detailing it when I'm at my keyboard.

17. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    If you get too detailed, maybe it should end up as an RPG Reload...?

Either way, I can't wait.

18. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Haha, it won't be quite that long.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Cant reload a new title, not yet. :)

20. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Haha. Yeah true. But it'll be a good jumping off point when he does! Anyone else get a RPG Dragons Odyssey Frane vibe from this. I'm sure that one was made way later, but similar action RPG feel for me.