Your Thoughts on MacOS Lion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by madmud101, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

If an app is capable of working with a file, it should be able to see it. I don't care where my files are stored, as long as I can access them when I need to. When OSX implemented Spotlight searches I stopped bothering to organize anything. iTunes organizes all my music for me, iPhone organizes all my photos for me, everything else just lives in Downloads or Documents. I can find anything just by typing the first few letters of what I'm looking for. I don't miss obsessively categorizing my files in hierarchal folders one bit. Apps being aware of what files they can use just takes this one step further, and really just optimizes my workflow even more.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I never managed to get into Spotlight. Why would I request Spotlight returns 50+ results for a word I type when I know exactly which file I want? I don't want to see all the unrelated crap it thinks might be of value just because it shares the same word, I want to go to the one document I'm looking for. If it's in a folder, I can get to it without Spotlight telling me I'm looking for an album by Led Zeppelin when actually I just wanted to check my latest bank statement.

Reliance on Spotlight just says lack of organizational skills to me, it's really not time consuming at all. Optimizing workflow is one of those phrases you find in business meetings that are thrown around because they sound impressive, when in reality spending an extra second or two to navigate a few folders never held anyone back in the slightest. For most people, saving two seconds on your workflow just means you're gonna spend longer on your lunchbreak feeding your fat ass meatball subs and Mountain Dew.

As for iTunes' organization skills, in wouldn't throw up over it. Why in the world it insitsts on adding every useless bit of media to my library just because I listen to it once is beyond me. No, the IBM jingle isn't part of my music collection, stop adding crap please. I save time using a folder structure because messing about with MP3 tags in order to get iTunes to display albums and artists where it's supposed to is counter-productive and takes even longer.

3. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    At the end of the day, that is how to identify potential and push the envelope with robust empowerment incentives. I invite you to drill down, think outside the box and work smarter. The truth is, we sense a lot of synergy in this client focused paradigm shift of results driven, strategic architecture. I trust we're on the same page.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Spotlight on an SSD when used with something like LaunchBar is actually incredibly fast. I can barely use a computer without it. I never have any issues finding what I'm looking for, and it's just nice to have one less thing to worry about. I guess I see my computer a little differently in that it's a tool for me to do work, make a living, and get off of it as soon as I can. Every second I spend dicking around organizing files, or anything secondary to completing the task at hand, is a second I could be doing something more fulfilling with my life.

5. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I can't wait until the day directories and finder explorer systems are gone. iTunes has proven a computer can organize your files 1000 times better than any human can, not to mention the time saved by not having to do it yourself. All we really need is one big hidden file repository with some nice search options. The necessary search options don't yet exist, but as soon as I can say, "this picture from April that is part of this project" and have the result pop-up instantly, Finder will be dead.

6. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Yes we are.

Now, about those TPS reports....

7. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I now have a new understanding of Apple's latest keynote!

8. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Thanks for sharing. That was great. Amazing. Great. Everyone loves koalas.

9. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Don't understand. Did they announce they are gonna remove something in Lion? If they didn't, I don't think anyone expected a new update anyway, so Lion is sorta like a cherry and here we are complaining about an app store. We don't have to use it, if we don't want to. Lion seems fine to me, I'm not gonna buy it. I didn't even upgrade to Snow Leopard. But I can't wait for the day when they update the UI. I'd be all over that

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Why wouldn't you upgrade to Snow Leopard? It's $15 and has so many benefits that it's probably the best bang for the buck overall upgrade you could get for your Mac... Especially at $15.

11. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Well, there were some valid reasons to hold off. I think it broke AppleJack (again) although that does appear to have been fixed now.

12. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I have Snow Leopard and Applejack works flawlessly on it. Applejack . . . so genius.

God I'm a nerd.