Your Thoughts on MacOS Lion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by madmud101, Oct 20, 2010.

1. StarCraftIsGreat

StarCraftIsGreat Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Yep. Because a netbook with 4GB of RAM makes sense.

2. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    #22 CaptainAwesome, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    Funny how you would automatically defer to the highest option.

1.4 GHz processing power and 2GB RAM are well within the bounds of normal netbooks that don't put you back a thousand greenbacks, and certainly not 1,200.

But, of course, some of that cost is for the privilege of using a Mac OS, which is how it always is. I can understand that. However, if I'm going to spend that much on what is essentially a notebook, I might as well pony up what little amount more is required to get a MacBook Pro refurb with higher specs.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Give it a year or two and it'll be standard. Then it'll make perfect sense to everyone.

4. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Mac has never appealed to me but I think this update definitely changes that. The Air is definately a luxury product I would say, it's all about style. The kind of laptop even your Girlfriend and Parent's think is 'cool'.

Does anyone know if there is a Windows program similar to that Garageband '11 they showed? With USB keyboard input and lessons?

5. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    As far as lion is concerned, I think its pretty cool. Its not a step backwards as there isnt really anything which apple is removing. They havent shown too much right now except mission control, full screen apps and I dont really see how these two will deteriorate your OSX experience. There is still an option to use your apps in multiple windows like you do right now. So I'm not really going to miss anything.
    Ya, but he's talking about resuming after you've already quit the app. Keeping them minimized use up a lot of RAM (ask me how bad it hurts. my MB is limited to 2Gb max ram :() and closing them makes me loose all the stuff. I'd really love it if I can simply close my browser and resume my browsing session later with all my windows intact for example. And if it happens universally with all my apps, it'll be really great IMO.

Appstore and facetime will be huge too. It's still not easy to find good apps for my Mac. Same goes for windows. I have to resort to google everytime I want some app and then I have to worry about paying a complete stranger. With one click buy direct from apple, I'll be much more at ease buying these apps. And if appstore can make a smartphone and a music player a real competition for handheld consoles, I can only imagine how much it can do for mac gaming (which is the biggest advantage windows has over macs as far as home users are concerned). but then most of my thoughts here are just speculation and only time will tell how much useful it'll be in the end.

6. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    Totally agree with Superman - Lion doesn't bring anything away, so it can't be a step backwards. I'm just slightly disappointed because I hoped for "something" really revolutionary for the user experience - we'll have to wait for Mac Os 11 probably. Mission control looks cool though.

I think that the Mac App Store will be something big - and from a gamer point of view, having two big competitors (this and Steam) might bring on some cool offers!

7. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    How do you know that? Every OS revision so far has revoked support for legacy protocols; why would Lion be any different?

8. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    I meant, from the keynote it doesn't seem that the "ipad-oriented" choices substituted anything that was there before in terms of user interface (which is all we can talk about at the moment). The dock looks like the same and there is no reason to believe that you won't be able to have the application stack there if you want, and never use the new on-desktop view (actually I'll keep launching them using quicksilver probably). Exposè looks a bit different, but in a good way I believe.
    I might be wrong obviously :)

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I think it's basically just the point about having apps on your desktop that got people worried. Made it sound too much like an iPad.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I think the Mac App Store is going to be incredible. One of the things I like most about using a Mac is that I just can use it really without worrying about almost anything. I love how much thought goes in to every element of the user interface, and every time I boot in to Boot Camp or load up a Virtual Machine I just realize that more and more. As much as Android freetards like to shit their pants over a single source of software for the iPhone without hacking, the App Store has made app discovery and management an experience on par with using OSX. It's just effortless, and applying that same model to the desktop is just logical progression.

I really look forward to having a single source to manage all my software purchases, licensing information, and updating with the Mac App Store. I really hope they include something to import existing license keys in to it, but I don't really see how they couldn't. Yeah, it's easy to look at the new guidelines that have been released for things you can submit to the Mac App Store and get all wound up about how Commissar Jobs is constructing yet another walled garden as another baby step to have complete control of your computer... But the curated experience of the App Store has been incredible so far, and I'm not sure why the Mac App Store will be any different.

11. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I know. I hate how I currently have to go to all the trouble of installing apps with a single click. Finally, thanks to the new Mac App Store, I will be able to install apps with a single click. And gone are the days of effortless automatic updates. I'm really looking forward to automatic updates.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

It's all about simplification. You won't need to troll around macupdate.com or versiontracker.com to find new things to screw around with, it will all be in one place. You could give the same sarcastic response about how Windows installers are no big deal and all you have to do is click next a couple times, but in practice, the OSX method is a substantially better user experience... Which really is what using a Mac is all about.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I like the idea of the App Store on a Mac, but I don't think it solves the problem of finding new apps. Great apps will get buried just as great iPhone games do. I'll still be using Google as my primary method of finding the best software to suit my needs, pretty much the same way I need to rely on TouchArcade to point me towards the games, because the App Store just can't do it.

14. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Except that carelessly installing Windows software will cause the shared registry to eat itself. Anyway, I'm not anti-Mac-App-Store; I'm just not terribly excited. It will likely be fantastic for developers but, as an end user, I won't notice a tangible benefit.

15. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I need an app store for life.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yes but to people like my grandparents, who are what I'd consider a more typical Mac user, they don't even know stuff exists unless it comes on their Mac or someone tells them to buy is at an Apple Store. This is going to be huge for development on the Mac because developers will have a better storefront than hoping that someone tries search term that vaguely describes what their stuff does. Also, much like the regular App Store, they've already got everyone's billing info which makes clicking "buy now" a lot less scary than entering in all your payment details to something like Kagi or the million other payment gateways no one has ever heard of.

17. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    One thing I noticed about Lion was the lack of the Hard Drive icon on the desktop. I am not sure whether this is just for the demo or there is an alternative method to access folders in your computer.

I hope they keep that whole system the same and try not go for the iPad look.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Doesn't the default Snow Leopard install have your drives hidden from the desktop? Either way, as long as I can remember it has been an option in Finder, not sure why they'd change that.

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    My drives aren't on the desktop, using Snow Leopard. Like Hodapp said they're accessed through Finder.

20. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    My view at MacOS Lion? It is one step further to port iOS to Macs. And that would be a massive fail.