Your first impressions of the iPod touch 4G

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by tsharpfilm, Sep 9, 2010.

?

How do you feel about the iPod touch 4G?

1. Ecstatic

51 vote(s)
    43.6%
  2. Satisfied

39 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Indifferent

14 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. Disappointed

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Angry

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Akoss

Akoss New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    What do You guys think, which should I buy: iPhone 3GS or iPod Touch 4G?
    (Don't see that iPod touch can not call.)
    Thanks,
    Akos

2. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yea, I think Steve Jobs misled a lot of consumers even though he was careful to leave out a lot of technical stuff out out of it. Frankly I was under the impression that the hardware spec (CPU, RAM, Retina Screen, for example) were going to be exactly similar to the iPhone 4 from the keynote. Of course once iFixIt.com took it apart, I couldn't help but feel disappointed. I know there's a lot of "If you wanted the iPod Touch 4G to be like an iPhone 4, get the iPhone 4 instead". I think its mainly just a lot of consumers getting hyped up by Apple and Steve Jobs and once the hard facts came out (which wasn't noted in the Keynote), a lot of people was disappointed. I'm getting it anyways, time for a hardware upgrade.

3. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    You should get the app battery doctor. When you open it up and leave it open before charging then it charges much more efficiently so instead of waiting two or three hours to charge and you only get like 80% of battery, using battery doctor you can charge for 2 hours and get a full battery. It's a really good app I use it right before every charge and it does make a difference.

Anyways I finally bought an 8gig tough 4g but not until I got home did I realize how limited I am with space I forgot how much of a compulsive app buyer and how many songs I had and when I plugged it in the first thing I see is a Overcapacity....So now I have to return this beautiful machine and get a 32 gig. Things just aren't going my way for this iPod stuff lol

4. Alienmario

Alienmario Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    please anyone, take screenshot of Epic citadel on ipod touch 4 (+and compare to other devices)

5. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Depends on what you need it for. If you have a phone get an ipod. The ipod is restricted by the lack of 3G so you won't be able to use it as a phone outside of your house.

If I were you, I'd get some more money and get an iphone 4.

6. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Epic Citadel won't start on my iPod touch 4G. anandtech.com ran into the same problem.

7. kralle777

kralle777 Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Germany
    Then install the update?

8. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #108 GDSage, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
    I already stated that I fully realise a touch variation wouldn't exactly be like the phone version, my actual point (if you read it) is there seems to be a lot more gimping than is typical of the touch variant.

Anyway, I've decided to go with a 3rd gen (32GB). I can pick that up a lot cheaper than a 32GB 4th gen (if only the lowest 4th gen model had 16GB instead of a paltry 8GB).

9. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    What update?

*checks*

There's an update out! Woooo! :D

10. pcgeek73

pcgeek73 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    strange Citadel runs fine on my Touch 4. I upgraded from the touch 3 and really like that I did. Its really small and that is the hardest thing for me to get used to.

I dont give a crap about the camera, i wont ever use it.

I cancelled my 64 gig on the apple store as it still hadnt shipped as of yesterday. Went to an apple store about 60 miles away and picked up the 32 gig one as they had only got one or 2 64 gigs and they were sold out. I figured I would just leave some games on the 3rd gen and put the retina ones on the 4th gen. I am very happy with my purchase.

Also cool thing is in Chopper 2 I can use my 3rd gen to be the controller for my 4th gen. That was a lot of fun and a big surprise. Spiderman is a big difference from the 3rd to 4th. WOW!!!!

11. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I'm really loving my iPotch 4g! Retina is just awesome. And as bad as the camera is, I find it quite useful already.

12. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    That's because they just recently released an update. Lol.

Epic Citadel is :eek:. It feels like I'm playing with alien technology. How is it possible for such a small device to be able to do so much... It's insane...

13. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Geez the camera is not that bad!

Alright, it is for taking stills, but the video quality is pretty damn good.

14. KnightRider25

KnightRider25 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    #115 KnightRider25, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
    Looks like the iPod Touch 4G is winning on that. I believe the RAM difference doesn't affect speed, but how much apps it can run without any problems.

15. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I guess the touch has less to handle than the iPhone

16. KnightRider25

KnightRider25 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Yep, and that's why it's a bit more faster.

17. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I don't know if it has been mentioned already but the sound quality is amazing! My 2nd gen was not nearly as clear sounding as the 4th gen.

18. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    the speaker?

19. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    im guessing the extra space in the device allows for the speaker to work better. if you look on ifixit you can see where the speaker sound comes out in two spots.

chris.