Your first impressions of the iPod touch 4G

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by tsharpfilm, Sep 9, 2010.

?

How do you feel about the iPod touch 4G?

1. Ecstatic

51 vote(s)
    43.6%
  2. Satisfied

39 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Indifferent

14 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. Disappointed

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Angry

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. KnightRider25

KnightRider25 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Well guys, tomorrow I'm going to see if the Apple Store (not the Apple Store itself, but a Official Retail Seller) in Puerto Rico (30 minutes from my house) has them, and I believe they should.

2. lildave213

lildave213 Member

Jul 16, 2010
    So what's up with the ipod touch 4's back, is it the same material used on the itouch 3, Is it any better or worst?

3. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Going from 2nd gen... is this one really worth bothering over the 3rd gen?

I read this article...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3903/apples-ipod-touch-2010-review-not-a-poor-mans-iphone-4

- Much lower build quality from iPhone 4
    - Display has much worse contrast ratio and viewing angles
    - Half of the RAM (so same as 3rd)
    - 0.7 camera
    - Apparently not native HD video capturing (despite what Apple claims)

... I have to say, that appears to be a lot of gimping, more than what is usually done with the touch variant of the iPhone. I'm just wondering how much truth is there to all of that? Otherwise I might as well get a 3rd gen because it will be cheaper to do so and then next year hope the next touch steps up the plate. But please, impressions would be welcome before I make a decision. Thanks!

4. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    That's a nice one. I keep thinking about it. Where did you get it?

5. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I don't blame you. You've done well to manage with your 1st gen iPod Touch for so long, you deserve to upgrade. The improvements will probably shock you. I went from an original iPhone to the iPhone 4 and that was a massive jump.

6. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I just got my 32 gb! I'm about to sync it, and I am real excited. Weird because just yesterday I was kind of bummed by it's lack of features.

7. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #87 tsharpfilm, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
    Yeah. Compared to the iPhone 4, they probably did cut a couple of corners. I read a review somewhere saying that the 4G's screen was darker. I tested this myself by turning the brightness all the way up on my 2G and 4G. And yes, the screen on my 2G was able to get brighter. I've never had a need for a super bright screen though, even when I'm outside, so I'm not too bothered by this. Besides, I'd much rather have a slightly darker retina display than a blurry regular display.

The photo cameras may be complete crap for taking pictures, but they work well for taking quick reference stills, and for apps that can do barcode and product recognition. And the HD video isn't that bad. There's a nice sample clip on engadget that you can download.

One of the features I've been having the most fun with is the microphone. I love the voice recognition apps. :D

In the end, I guess it depends on whether or not you think having a 3-axis gyro, a microphone, a super portable HD camera, and a high resolution retina display is worth the upgrade. Overall, everything, except for the photo cameras, are pretty damn sweet.

Thanks. I got it from Kappboom's Wallpaper HD app.

8. elimcfly

elimcfly Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Heck yeah, I was gonna order mine online as well... luckily my paypal wasnt working so im just gonna go to the store, spend ten more bucks and have it a week or two before the mail would get it here.

9. Drexra

Drexra Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Student
    Colorado
    Does anyone know if saturday is considered a business day? Thanks!

10. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Wow. Non-Retina Display apps look like crap on a Retina Display!!

11. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    That article is comparing a $300 Touch with a $600+ iPhone. Is it at all surprising that a device worth half as much doesn't contain exactly the same hardware? No. Sadly, some people lack common sense, no matter how smart that may be otherwise.

The correct comparison to make is Touch 4 to previous generations, NOT to the latest iPhone model, which is literally worth TWICE as much. So let's compare 4th gen to 3rd gen, for example.

Touch 4th gen has retina display, A4 CPU, dual cameras with decent 720p video and crappy but still useful stills, microphone, ability to run Facetime, gyroscope, and 40/7 hours (audio/video) battery.

Touch 3rd gen has no retina display, a slower CPU, no cameras, no microphone (you must use the headphone mic, which sucks), can't run Facetime, no gyroscope, and 30/6 hours (audio/video) battery.

Seems like the Touch 4th gen is a damn good update to me.

12. crampy

crampy New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Microphone clicking?

This isn't really game related (I'm absolutely loving my 4g as far as games are concerned) but is anyone getting a weird clicking noise when they use the microphone? Happens in every app I've tried that uses the mic, the video camera, Voice memo, Four-track...

The sound is identical to the the sound in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REWJPZ7eZ2U

Hear how it clicks at a steady pace for awhile then speeds up at around the 27 second mark? Mine does exactly that.

So obviously I'm not the only one, but does everyone have this issue? Just wondering if I should exchange my device or wait for some kind of update to fix the issue.

13. KnightRider25

Sep 8, 2010
    I completely agree with you Chocolate, people shouldn't compare this with the iPhone 4, they should compare it with the iPod Touch 3G.

As you can see by Chocolate's statistic, the 4G is much better and powerful than the 3G. While the camera is not very good, it's still nice just to have it. Hell, people would have been complaining if the 4G didn't a camera anyway.

14. kralle777

kralle777 Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Germany
    I will get my iPod Touch 4G on monday, but I've heard that you can only hear the clicking noise when WiFi is turned on.

15. crampy

crampy New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Thanks! That worked!

From the way the click would speed up and slow down I had a feeling it was interference from some other component. Guess that's kind of a bad design. Glad it was at least something I can turn off.

Now back to wandering aimlessly around Epic Citadel!

16. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Recorded a minute of video and the battery had dipped from 20% to 8% then once I stopped recording it shot straight back up, now it's quickly falling again. Battery indicator is all over the place WTF.

17. gen1521

gen1521 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    internet stalking
    Tokyo, Japan
    Oh hey, does that mean they included battery percentage now?

18. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    #98 acrotran, Sep 11, 2010
    It takes a few cycles of discharging and recharging the battery before it will be at full strength. So don't be too quick to think your battery is weak.

19. KnightRider25

Sep 8, 2010
    Indeed. Fully charge it, and then use it until it dies for abit, so the battery gains it's full strength.

20. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    #100 sid187, Sep 11, 2010
    yeah thats all logical.. but the problem comes in when steve pimped the 4th gen.. he compared it to the iphone with out the phone.. ( like 3 times in his keynotes before he got on with the damn hardware specs and totally ignored it had a 1998 cell camera, laughs ) so why would they not compare the two. jobs was hoping you would and buy it with out thinking!! and no never mind the camera sucks buy it cause i said its like the iphone with out the phone. LOL

but i agree with you. it kicks my gen 2 ass hardware wise. laughs.

chris.