Your first impressions of the iPod touch 4G

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by tsharpfilm, Sep 9, 2010.

?

How do you feel about the iPod touch 4G?

1. Ecstatic

51 vote(s)
    43.6%
  2. Satisfied

39 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Indifferent

14 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. Disappointed

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Angry

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I picked up the new iPod touch 4G today. I really like it, but I'm not in love with it. The weak photo cameras, and the lack of additional ram are a bit disappointing. But, overall, I think it's a very worthy upgrade for 1st and 2nd gen iPod touch owners. I'm definitely enjoying the boost in performance, the multitasking, and the high resolution display. And the voice controls and HD video capabilities are kind of neat.

What are your thoughts?

2. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Well, mine hasn't shipped yet (64GB from Amazon, only $384 shipped, no tax!).

But I sold my 3rd gen over the summer because I knew I wanted the 4th gen. And I'm glad I did. I don't care if the still camera isn't that great, it's good enough for me, and the 720p video is pretty good. Add in the quadruple resolution screen, faster CPU, gyroscope and (finally) built-in microphone - and it's a damn nice package.

So I think I'll love it when I get it! :D

But I won't vote in the poll until after I get mine.

3. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Their reason for halving the RAM is ridiculous.

4. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Keeping the price from being $600 isn't ridiculous. What do you need twice the RAM for anyway? Unlike the iPhone, you won't have phone tasks going on in the background all the time.

5. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Still trying to track one down.

6. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #6 tsharpfilm, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
    I'm still wondering though if the lack of ram is the reason why Epic Citadel won't open on my iPod touch 4G. :( Or is it just a compatibility issue with iOS 4.1? I don't know.

And I don't understand the point of adding digital zoom to a 1mp camera. It's mostly impossible to get a clear shot if you zoom into a 1mp image.

For example:
    IMG_0051.jpg

That's a shot of my computer mouse with 100% digital zoom.

But I'm still mostly satisfied with the upgrade. I can read most websites without having to zoom into them because of the improved display, my games run a lot smoother, I've found a few great uses for the microphone (voice notes, dragon dictation, ect), and the HD video recording capabilities are very nice.

7. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    How are you liking the Retina?

8. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I'm loving it! :D

You don't realize how blurry and choppy the text is on older devices until you put them next to a device with retina display. I loaded the same website on my 2nd and 4th gen iPod touch, and the difference was striking.

9. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Damn right my friend. Most people think it's all gimmick until they see it for themselves. Make sure you try out Spiderman on there ASAP!

10. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009

wow they should of just left the rear facing camera off that is horrible. can you take a pic with out the zoom. i wanna see how much grain there is.

im really surprised apple put such a bad camera in the ipod.. i would imagine more people would use the camera to take pictures more than video..

shrugs.. but if the new display helps the eye balls out, then that is great.
    in the end tho.. it is a powerful hand held computer. that we could only dream about 15 years ago.. now we just have camera pixels to complain about, and ram i guess and me complains about it being so damn skinny! even tho i can remember when 32 megs of ram was consider a lot and cost more than gold back in the day!!! lol

oo yeah, my first real computer was a P166 32 megs of ram, 8meg video card 4 gig hard drive. i remember having to down grade the video to a 2meg trident to use linux X back in the day.. and the new ipod crush that old computer.. laughs

i wonder if the camera is even good enough to use the bar code apps.. my guess is no.

chris.

11. Akhilpo

Akhilpo Well-Known Member

It has only half the RAM, but I think it is higher clocked than iPhone 4 as it has the same A4 chip that ipad have. I dunno how both devices will compare each other.

I have a 3rd gen ipod touch. Should I upgrade to 4g?

12. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    If you want to be at the forefront of technology, then yehhh!

13. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    yeah, the display is what is probably gonna sell me on buying a 32gig model.. still need to wait for them to get in local store so i can play with it in person.. but the older i get my eyes seem to age just the same.. even tho no need for glasses yet.. but reading dose make them tired after long periods of time on the ipod.

if i do upgrade from my gen 2.. only way i would upgrade to a gen 5 ipod if it ha the same hardware as this gen 4 iphone. lol.. if not blah.. id wait for 6. aww hell its only money right. long as you keep a jail broken iso on the damn thing when you go to sell it.. you get some of your money back.. will go to town today and see if i can find one to play with.
    chris,

14. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #14 tsharpfilm, Sep 9, 2010
    Now that I think about it, you make a good point. The new iPod touches actually have just as much ram as the iPads. Maybe the extra ram isn't needed.

:D Will do.

Here's a picture of my Wacom tablet pad without any zoom:
    IMG_0074.jpg

I completely agree.

Oh the good old days of editing autoexec.bat and config.sys files to try to get as much performance out of a computer. :D

It might be if you get really close to the barcode?

15. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I can't wait to get mine. I need one baddddddllllyyyyy

16. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #16 Cilo, Sep 9, 2010
    Digital zoom is crap on the iPhone 4 as well so don't feel so bad.

Here's a zoom pic I took at an LA Galaxy game
    image-1.jpeg

It's alright for small sized web snaps but once you enlarge there's tons of noise. I don't even consider the zoom a feature anymore.

17. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I never use the zoom on my iPhone. In fact, I never use digital zoom on any camera. If I want zoom, I use the 12x optical zoom on my good old Panasonix Lumix TZ8.

18. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

Could someone tell me the RAM for 2nd Gen and 4th Gen?

19. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Exactly. It's just a stat sheet filler.

20. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    1st & 2nd Gen: 128 MB
    3rd & 4th Gen: 256 MB