Your favorite band(s)?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Kamazar, Mar 2, 2009.

1. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    ZOMG Gordon Lightfoot! I bought his best of record a while ago and when I got home, to my surprise, I discovered it had neither Sundown nor the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. :(

2. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

Actually ... those are the only 2 songs he did that I don't like so much.

3. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Well, I admit I don't much care for the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, Sundown is ridiculously catchy and perfect for karaoke. I was mostly just surprised his best known songs were nowhere to be found on his 'best of' album. Gordon would not be my desert island selection anyway. I would want, maybe Lisa Gerrard or Spoons (don't make me choose.)

4. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    if you guys didnt know both switchfoot and reliant k started off as christian bands, i have a cousin who is a youth group leader and she has meat the people from switchfoot and so blah blah blah, enough of that boring stuff.....is anyone else exited for the new greenday cd thats coming out, i already have 9 leaked songs from theryre album and i gotta say AMAZING, i think im gonna go see them in concert when theyre tour starts...

Go LINKIN PARK #1 and then green day and blink....:D

5. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #85 NotYou, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
    Tell your cousin that one on the guys from Reliant K is in a band with one of my friends. He's the lead singer for "Inhale Exhale."
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist?id=202011976
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuLDB7uqLbg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHRiqSleXo8
    (no special effects in that second video. Ohio is just that bleak and creepy in the winter:rolleyes:)

I'm actually not a fan. I just think it's crazy hearing him sing and seeing him on stage:p. I've known him since I was like 12.

6. treehuggerflem

treehuggerflem Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    three days grace
    shinedown
    theory of a dead man
    alterbridge

7. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I thought about it some more and decided who I want on my desert island. He would add some much needed ambiance around the vicinity of the beach bar. Call me pretentious; call me what you will. :p

8. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I've actually been kinda disappointed by Green Day, lately. I listened to the premier of a three songs on KROQ last night, I only liked 21 Guns. I've also heard 21st Century Breakdown (had they cranked up the speed, it actually could've been a pretty good song), and of course, Know You're Enemy (actually really like that one). Nothing has come close to Holiday (my all time favorite song) at all. Seeing them this August, though!!!

Linkin Park's first two albums were amazing, but I kinda got tired of the Teen Pain and Frustration theme. I'm a teen, and it's tiring, but the energy and tunes the songs make up for it. The songs can actually be pretty deep, though. And the Chester and Shinoda duo works amazingly well.

Blink 182... blegh.

I'll always be an 80s rock fan first and foremost. I freakin' love the Scorpions :D

9. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    i like your taste lol.....but i do see were your coming from, it seems like greenday is settling down from they're young years of the punk alternative kids and starting to pace themselves a bit more, towning down they're songs and making them a bit less heavily(if you know what i mean by that) they're music has really changed over the past few albums thats for sure, i think it was quit risky changing they're style like that but i really like it, it shows a different side of them and it looks like they're putting a little more feeling into they're songs instead of just singing about some of the random stuff they used to....and holiday was a great song one of the best but im gonna have to say warning, and wake me up when September ends are right next to it...and im with you on the linkin park stuff two i liked the first couple a lot but it just started to sound like a bunch of complaining about how they hated stuff, then minutes to midnight came out and i think it changed from the complaining and that crap to kinda the original style, but just like greenday it was a bit towned down..and i also agree with the duo they definately have one of the best ive herd they put all they have out there when they sing and its amazing...hhhmmm music to my ears :D....i should hit you for insulting blink like that, theyre amazing and that ends it...wow this was a long post :D

10. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    My uncle who is around your age introduced me to a lot of great bands. He listens to Porcupine Tree, Death Cab, The Shins, and a lot of other great stuff.

11. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

Being 56 does not mean living completely in the 70's. Sure ... I still love the music I grew up with but I also love contemporary musicians in addition to my list such as Pink, Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, Coldplay, Nirvana, and Third Eye Blind to name a few but .... I do know many people my age who aren't into new music. I guess it all depends on how you live your life.

12. uSICu

uSICu Well-Known Member

May 2, 2009
    Construction
    Oklahoma
    Love Inhale/Exhale. I found them out about them on one of those cd insert slip stuff with ringtones, and I think they're amazing.

13. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
  14. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    For me it would definitely be The Boss...no contest really

15. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

the police, boston, rush, led zeppelin, foo fighters, metallica

16. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    Hard to pick favorites but here are some i regularly listen to

Scorpions
    AC/DC
    Black Sabbath
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Iron Maiden
    Motorhad
    Oasis
    Blur
    Deep Purple
    Blue Cheer
    Iron Butterfly
    Megadeth
    Slayer
    Vio-Lence
    Machinehead

etc etc

17. tonysfavourite

tonysfavourite Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    einsteinbarbie :)

18. adamsm

adamsm Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Sisters of mercy :))))

The Prodigy
    Pendulum

19. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #99 Booch138, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
    Sorry you can't ask this question around me and not expect a massive list... I'll try and cut it short. Heres some favs from my iPod CURRENTLY:

Alice in Chains
    All Shall Perish
    ..And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
    Anti-Flag
    Army of the Pharaohs (Jedi Mind Tricks presents...)
    At the Gates
    At the Drive in
    ATB
    Bad Religion
    The Black Dahlia Murder (FIRST CD ONLY)
    The Black Eyes Peas
    Th Black Mages
    Blind Guardian
    The Blood Brothers
    Brand New
    Cascada
    Children of Bodom
    cKy
    Cradle of Filth
    Cypress Hill
    Danzig
    Dark Tranquility
    Death
    Deicide
    Demons and Wizards
    Depeche Mode
    DevilDriver
    Dr. Dre
    Dream Theater
    Elliott Smith
    Explosions in the Sky
    Fugazi
    Goldfrapp (FIRST CD ONLY)
    The Goo Goo Dolls
    Her Space Holiday
    Ice Cube
    Iced Earth
    In Flames
    Iron Maiden
    Jedi Mind Tricks
    Job for a Cowboy
    Joy Division
    Kate Nash
    KMFDM
    Kreator
    Metallica
    Mindless Self Indulgence -To the other poster earlier, your not the only one ;)
    Misfits
    Modest Mouse (Everything Prior to Good News)
    Final Fantasy Soundtracks
    Nekromantix
    Nightwish
    NIN
    Opeth
    Outkast
    Panic! at the disco
    Pantera
    Parkway Drive
    Penny Wise
    Pink Floyd
    The Pixies
    Porcupine Tree
    Poe
    Primus
    Radiohead
    Rammstein
    Rancid
    Rise Against (First 2 Albums only)
    Samhain
    Shadows Fall
    Simon and Garfunkel
    Slayer
    Superjoint Ritual
    System of a Down (First 2 albums only)
    t.A.T.u.
    Thrice
    Through the eyes of the Dead
    Tiger Army
    Tool
    The Transplants
    Unearth
    The Unseen
    Vital Remains
    White Zombie
    Whitechapel
    Wintersun
    Wu-Tang Clan
    +44
    12 Step Rebels

Wow yeah told you that was bad... trust me when I say that is MOST recent and a lot of people arnt making the cut.

I get very bored easily with just one genre of music... though Progressive Metal and Melodic Death Metal is more my favourite cup of tea, I really listen to anything. The only genre of music that I am really not that into, is country. I like artists such as Hank Williams II and Johnny Cash and stuff, but I cant really get into the contemporary country.

Not to stray away from the topic, but someone on the first page had a list with some alternative bands on there and claimed them to be "EMO" and defended his "Emo" likings. First of all man, EMO IS NOT A GENRE OF MUSIC. Emo means emotional, and if thats what to apply the tag too, you can even call Aretha Franklin emo, and she is amazing. Everyone has emo in them, if not you are heartless, literally. No feeling = no soul. Im sorry but you can defend yourself all you want, the music you listen to should be because YOU like it. Im glad you dont let the "Genre" stop you from enjoying what you like, but don't call it "Emo". Call it alternative, some are hardcore, some Pop-Punk. Whatever you want to call it man, its just ****ing music.

Ok im done :) Carry on! Nice lists guys.

20. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Man... im such a thread killer... rofl.