You Decide!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by VgSlag, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    I really like what you're doing with this game; getting us to decide which is better and what to put in the game is definitely a good thing to do.

I agree with most peoples decisions about the two pictures, both of the pictures on the right look better and the mortar enemy is much better and will make sure that enemies vary. The game itself, particularly the art style, reminds me a lot of Gun Run which is a flash game I used to play a lot on Miniclip.

Also if you want to embed YouTube videos it is done with BB Code you can read how here.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I saw that too, especially with the first choice of the op.

3. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    I have to do my real work for a couple of days so I wont be able to work on this but here are a few comps from the designer:

This is the game overlay of health and score (half of which is now implemented):
    [​IMG]

And here a couple of new BGs that will replace the mountains on other levels (the gradient is only there to highlight the foregrounds):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The idea is going to be there are 4 levels or so.

The first will be a military base where the secret super tank/nuclear duck starts off.

Second will be mountains as he heads through the forest on his way to the main city.

Then the city level where he clears the alien menace.

Then finally on to the alien home world to destroy the threat once and for all.

Each level will hopefully have a couple of new enemy types adding to the mix and a unique boss.

Would you rather have a limited number of lives to do the game in 1 sitting and have it shorter or would you rather it's longer and you can restart on any finished level on subsequent plays?

4. jakemann23

jakemann23 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    id like to see these in action, is there anywhere we can see actual gameplay??

5. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    Yeah. There are videos in old posts in this thread but I will collate them here to save going back.

[hqyoutube]JUGUoKo3naM[/hqyoutube]

And a boss type thing:

[hqyoutube]BReqVa58DB8[/hqyoutube]

6. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    #46 VgSlag, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
    Opinions needed again:

With the controls in my game I feel that your finger gets in the way as you can't see what you're shooting at.

Do you think the control system looks OK or would you rather see a dual stick type control like with minigore?

I'm thinking it might work better but I will have to move the UI around a bit.

What do you guys think?

7. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    It looks fine.
    In fact, I prefer it that way.
    Dual stick controls are being over done right now.
    But, hey, if you aren't satisfied with that, you could always just do both and make them options.
    That's always good.

8. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    I finished working on my side project (a level editor for Double Maze, in review) and am now back on this game.

I have implemented dual stick controls and they work really well. Much better than the last control method and they obscure less of the screen.

The health bar now works but you can't "die" yet, it just resets the health bar.

I think next in line is to tie in the boss battle to the end of the level.

Here is a (poorly filmed) video:

[hqyoutube]9yxkUon17bM[/hqyoutube]

I'll post a better quality one with the next update.

9. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    Still no death but the level and boss battle are now linked.

[hqyoutube]Mf8JR5b9Hfg[/hqyoutube]

10. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    Opinion time again please guys.

I'm trying to sort out some music for the game. What do you guys think of this? Ignore the "preview" audio water mark. I've not bought this music yet.

[hqyoutube]UMdUhg1bvGI[/hqyoutube]

11. sic

sic Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Philippines
    its a nice nice music, fits perfectly on the game. i like the drumming. :)

12. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    I went with the music in the end.

Found it for $60 for a full license which was much better.

Also installed iSimulate so I can fully control the game from my touch screen whilst using the simulator. Makes controlling much easier.

13. sic

sic Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Philippines
    What's the working title of this game?

14. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    Working title is Fire Away! but I'm thinking of going for something like D.U.C.K (acronym to be worked out later).

Still have to add in the power up system then I'll tweak the difficulty and try and make it more "gamey".

Still need to add the other levels and the timed survival mode too.

I'm hoping to have it submitted for review by the end of October.

15. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #55 arta, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
    This looks fantastic! Control sticks looks small, does the touch area extend beyond the joysticks? You should do some testing with some friends (iphone gamers not fellow devs) to see if they are as comfortable as they would me with Alive 4 Ever, iDracula, Minigore, etc.

You were right to drop the old control scheme though, it was awful and more gamers have gotten over the tilt gimmick to play serious action games.

I think now and again, the spaceships should spawn in a pattern. Looks a bit more "gamey" that way. Boss looks good but needs a more dramatic entrance, like Contra Shattered Soldiers or Metal Slug.
    Game should like one long arcade sitting. You shouldn't beat the whole game in 5 minutes. How does 20-30 minutes for one good run sound?

How many levels, enemy types and bosses did you plan to have?

16. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    i think u should do the one on the right..the one on the left looks like it got a donk..lol

17. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Wow.. Just when I think the game is just pretty good, out came the huge eyeball monsters at the end. The game looks awesome :D

18. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    Cheers guys.

Arta: Thanks for your ideas. Currently the sticks need to be touched to be activated but you can then drag outside of them and they still count as in use.

The boss entry and enemy patterns are still very much in beta.

As for play length and levels there are a few ideas.

I'm going to have 4 levels each with their own music (possibly), BG, a couple of enemy types and a boss.

Once you finish each level you unload that level for survival mode. Survival mode will be where it gets harder and harder as time goes on and you get sporadic weapon upgrades. You have to survive for as long as possible and at the end you get a score based on enemies killed and time survived (think Heavy Weapon on the PC/360).

Cheers Prab. Have you seen some people have made some OK levels for Double Maze?

I currently have some iPhone contract work so I wont have time to work on my game for a while BUT it will give me plenty of money to pay my designer, buy more music and also advertise on release.

19. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Yeah, I saw pretty cool ones actually :D I havent made any new levels though.

And I really like this new game of yours. The graphics is nice and clean (just like Double Maze :D). Maybe different levels can have a different color themes (green, red, etc) and along with the color, comes different enemy types too :)

20. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yeah I think you should have mini bosses, like at the midway point one larger alien comes out and it takes like 5 shots to kill him while the other ships take one.

The music you have is good for a first stage but should switch up with the main boss. Can't see myself listening to the same music for 4 whole stages straight.