Universal You Are A Knight (by eGames.com LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    #81 Duke12, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    Again when I had less than 1gb empty space on my Air game didnt start anymore. Worked again when there was 1 gb space....

Edit: and it seems it deleted my char in the process. Im about done with this tbh

2. WhiskeybarrelStudios

WhiskeybarrelStudios Active Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Sorry you're experiencing this - I haven't been able to replicate it. It's strange because the game should only need 10kb of saved space for saved characters. It's likely just some strange bug to do with the tech I'm using to build the game ( it might be writing stuff to the HD temporarily etc ) . Apologies again, maybe try it again when you've comfortably got more space on your device.

3. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    And after youve managed to fix disappearing buttons as its now more frequent for me than before update

4. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Thanks for your reply. #

Wow! Some of those star requirements are too much #
    ...really?!!.....never got hit = 4 stars....How the heck is that at all possible?

5. charlesatan

charlesatan Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Either kill them fast or get lucky (if you parry your opponent's attack, it doesn't count as a hit).

6. WhiskeybarrelStudios

Feb 10, 2016
    That's right, also if you choose an axe you get +25% to critical hit , which you can combine with a power hit and sometimes you can take out weaker opponents on the first hit.

7. minameismud

minameismud Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    speaking of the entourage... in my one open slot, i have the bard, which is supposed to make it so my taunts are never ignored. well, my taunts get ignored. a lot. i'd say my taunts are about 50% effective. i equipped the ring that turns all my taunts into noxious farts (LMAO :D) that do damage, but even when the taunt is *not* ignored, they don't always do damage. like, the animation plays, but no damage is registered. i get that on regular attacks too, maybe 5% of the time.

still a fun game, but at the moment i'm grinding at level 7. my strength has dropped to 4 (agree with previous comment about the -1 skill cards... they kinda burn too much), so i'm WAY outside being able to equip the armor set after leather. i get absolutely spanked by the first tournament round now, but i'm a little hesitant to duel any more and risk getting another -1 to my str.

8. henrycupcake

henrycupcake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Maybe it's your old iPad Air that's should be "done" with?

Buy an iPad pro and complain to the developer again if it's really the apps issues

9. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    The Air is not old. I don't own this game but seeing how my Air can run XCOM, Vainglory, and the like flawlessly then it should have zero problem with a game this simple. I would say don't use up so much of your memory if you're experiencing problems. I have a 32GB Air and always keep at least 3 GB open. There's also obvious things like closing out other apps in the background and restarting your device. But again with a game this simple those shouldn't be absolutely necessary.

10. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    I dont remember asking your opinion, thank you very much.

11. Ervin

Ervin New Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Lack of tactics?

After playing the game for a while, I was left struggling to understand if there is any tactics or strategy to the combat. You have light/medium/strong attacks, which always have the same hit chance, no matter how much you or the opponent has stamina or what has happened previously. I often got an opponent in dueling that was just completely outmatching me - having more than double armor and hitpoints compared to my guy and a better weapon. What is the point in fighting those duels? Shouldn't there be a chance of winning?

Quite disappointed currently :(. Maybe I'm missing the point in the combat, but it was not apparent in the game itself if there is any depth to it at all.

12. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Anyone got a response to this? Just saw this thread for the first time today and was assuming this would be a must-have until I saw the above post...

13. WhiskeybarrelStudios

Feb 10, 2016
    Hey - developer here! This is a tricky one to answer. What you consider to be 'too simple' , others might find too complex. Such is the trial of trying to make a turn-based combat game that appeals to a wide audience. I'll be the first to admit , this game isn't Dark Souls. There are a limited amount of moves, stats and combinations of things. You please someone by making things more complex, you alienate 10 other people. What I do know is that this general game-play worked really well in Swords and Sandals and I'm erring on the side of, 'Tweak it but don't break it.'

Having said that - here's the thing. I truly believe the game is deeper than you think. There are new skills you unlock as you on. Here's just a few examples off the top of my head:

Switch Weapon - Enemy got too much armour? With the switch weapon skill, you can spend a turn switching to use your club weapon and do extra damage to armour. Switch back to your sword for extra damage to health, or gamble a bit with an axe for extra critical hit chance.

Smite - A powerful attack that takes 3 turns to charge up. You sacrifice a few turns in a row for the chance to do a massive hit later.

Or perhaps what about building up your agility, then using a combo of grapple and leap to trick your opponent over to a cliff and push them off?

The point is - yes, the game can be grindy in parts, and I apologise for those moments, but there are great opportunities for strategy

Also, for those concerned , I've finally sorted out the missing buttons dilemma! I have a new patch coming this week , 1.0.3 which will fix that and also has a couple more balancing tweaks.

Cheers and many thanks for your wonderful feedback ( complaints and all! ) , I'll keep patching the game. Great to see the game's popularity spreading even without the help of big marketing budgets and favours from popular review sites.

Oliver Joyce

14. charlesatan

Jun 5, 2013
    There are actually strategic options, it's just not as transparent as first glance.

For the most part, You Are A Knight is all about leveraging your Stats (which is why I was complaining about the -1 to Stats because you could end up with a net negative even after all the level ups and bonuses).

Do you have high Strength? Them gamble on a medium or heavy attack, as high Strength means you will do a (relatively) large amount of damage and have a good chance to do a critical hit. (Critical hits ignore armor.) Personally, I dislike high Strength builds. If your opponent has high Strength, just be wary that they can end the match with a lucky hit.

Do you have high Dexterity? Use it to maneuver around the board, or just push your opponent off the cliff. You should also have high damage (higher than Strength builds) with a high Dexterity, and the same principle also works (medium or heavy attack and hope for a crit). If your opponent has high Dexterity, be patient and wait for them to come to you. A horn or push can easily spell your doom if you're near a cliff.

Do you have high Wits? Then you should win most straight up fights because of your good hit and parry chance. The only opponent you should be wary of are those with high Strength, as a "lucky" hit can kill you, especially if you have low Vitality. If your opponent has significantly higher Wits than you, I'd probably go the "push them off a cliff" route.

Do you have high Vitality? You have more energy to use on medium attacks, and can theoretically survive critical hits.

Also, there are four actions you should use liberally:

1) Rest (to recover)
    2) Shove (to push opponent's off a cliff) and Grapple (if you're on the other end of the cliff)
    3) Taunt (if Rest is not a good option)
    4) Switch Weapon (to switch from melee to range and vice versa)

The other "attack" abilities honestly aren't worth it (i.e. Smite) because from my experience playing the game (I've finished it, and the developer is hinting at a sequel/DLC dealing with dragons), they never hit (I don't know if this is bugged, or just a miscalculation in the hit chance) and often detrimental to you (similarly, I win games when opponent uses them).

P.S. Questing stat bonus/penalties is bugged. Wits and Vitality are switched (bonus/penalty to Wits increases Vitality and vice versa).

15. charlesatan

Jun 5, 2013
    Tips for You Are A Knight

As someone who's finished the game (level 49), here are some tips:

1) The beginning of the game can get a bit random. If you have a bad start from levels 1~4, just restart.

2) When asked what item to pick (sword, shield, or horse), pick the horse. Stars are harder to come by in the early game.

3) How you distribute your stats is the key to this game. Pick one to specialize on i.e. (2:1) and play to your strengths. For the first half of the game, I had 1 Strength and it worked out fine. The second to the last boss has a 74 in all stats, so you should be planning on how to defeat such an opponent. (Similarly, don't raise Dexterity too high as the biggest value it has is being able to equip better weapons.) Your item build will similarly play a role.

4) For your entourage, pick the dandy that provides gold at the start of each day. This can be abused to generate infinite gold.

5) Don't buy the item that lets you continue in tournaments. It's currently bugged. But when it did work in the previous patch, you did not have to equip it to use it.

6) Critical hits and some medium/heavy attacks ignore armor.

7) If you hit your opponent three times in a row and never get hit, this will trigger Bloodlust. All your attacks while Bloodlust has 100% accuracy. This is when I start using my medium and heavy attacks, or even leap attacks.

8) You need to balance your damage with Vitality. More damage = more endurance needed to sustain it without resting.

P.S. Another bug, opponents can Taunt + do another action at the same time.

16. WhiskeybarrelStudios

Feb 10, 2016
    Charles , congrats on beating the game and for providing such detailed feedback - I'm going to look at it in some detail tonight , squash some of those bugs etc. Nice job all round, you're a true Knight of Legend.

17. Hopedog22

Hopedog22 New Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Feedback

First of all - hats of to you Oliver, this game is a gem, hope this can get the exposure it deserves. Also, it's really refreshing to see the developer be as involved with the community as you are, thank you for that.

Now at the risk of sounding clueless - what's with the jousting mechanic? The concept of pressing the button when the circles touch is easy for me to understand. And since I read no other comment about it in this site I think I'm the lone dummy who cannot figure it out - I haven't landed a single damn attack during jousting matches......

Would someone please explain to me how to joust?

Otherwise - keep up the great work!!

18. WhiskeybarrelStudios

Feb 10, 2016
    Hey thanks Hopedog! Sincerely appreciated! The jousting mechanic can admittedly a bit obtuse - the fault is with how I've explained it in the game.

The basic aim of jousting is that a green circle will appear and shrink. When the circle is touching the transparent 'dotted-line' circle in the middle of the screen, you want to tap the screen. If you fail, it turns red. Otherwise, you'll do some damage to your enemy's armour and it will appear damaged in the upcoming fight.

So you have three buttons ( HEAD , TORSO and something else which escapes me ) before the fight. They do 75%, 50% and 25% damage to your opponent's armour respectively , but the catch is that the more damage you go for, the faster the circle moves in while you are jousting.

You can practice jousting from the Adventure screen , where you can compete against other knights for money - that way you get three 'tilts' and can get the hang of it in your own time rather than in the risky tournaments.

PS some people die during jousts, this is because they got hit and hadn't bought any armour - tough but valuable life lessons! :D

19. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Not sure if it is just me or something to do with the games responsiveness when tapping in jousting.
    I found that I would get most hits if I tapped just before the outer ring enters the inner ring.
    If I tap when the rings were together I would always end with a miss hit.

And thanks so much for the game tips charlesatan. They will help me greatly. #

20. Hopedog22

Hopedog22 New Member

Feb 23, 2016
    #100 Hopedog22, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Stamina use?

How is stamina use factored in to each action? It seems that no matter what my stamina level is, if I use a medium attack, it drain all stamina. I had 650 out of 710 and it used it all on one attack. Later n fight, I used the heavy attack and it took about 60% of my stamina.

Just curious.

* and it uses all stamina when attacking with bow no matter the amount. Is that setup to be so?