Universal Yomi (by Sirlin Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Due to the nature of the game, I wouldn't count on seeing any "balance fixes" any time soon: with this second edition, David considers the game as balanced as it can be, which is a hard position to argue against at this point (and he's not about to screw with the digital version to knock it out of sync with the recently updated physical version being funded through the Kickstarter). You also won't be seeing more cards in terms of new characters, although the plan is to include the overpowered EX cards in the app somewhere down the track.

There'll be bugfixes as required, naturally, but if you're hanging out for significant ongoing new content for Yomi, it's best you know ahead of time that that simply isn't going to happen.

2. Daxmort

Daxmort Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    That's fine with me, I was more referring to the ex-cards and such anyway. Plus the 2v2 mode (or even 2v1 mode if they introduced the Dragon Master(?) card as an in-app purchase too). The game as it is, is amazing, and the character roster is already impressive enough as it needs to be.

Plus if there's less balancing to actually mess around with, the better. ;)

Edit: Unless the 2v2 mode is already in the app and I just haven't been paying enough attention. Only really been playing against the Monkeybot so far.

3. Daxmort

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Yomi kickstarter has now reached $154.5k! I'm not so sure the foil cards will get made--although I'd love to buy them later--but we're at least getting the G.Panda and minimalist Panda/Lum decks for free, which is awesome.

4. Daxmort

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Really hope I'm not breaking any rules by continuing to post, but I figure this thread could use more spotlight.

The kickstarter has now reached $165k, which means that backers will get foil Ace-cards for the first four decks (Grave, Jaina, Quince, and/or Onimaru). $15k more will also get us foil cards of Midori, Setsuki, BBB, and/or Troq and $35k will get us foil cards for everyone.

After asking yesterday, it appears that they do have the intention to release additional cosmetic and gameplay-changing DLC provided they have the resources, as they're not really breaking even on this great app at the moment, but they would also like to release an iOS version of their Puzzle Strike game.

The DLC would indeed include EX-cards and possible foils. There are no plans to release a 2v2 update (or 2v1 card) at present, but they might see over time.

I ended up backing the full pledge in order to get my hands on Pandanté Deluxe, and I bought Flash Duel and both the minimalist Poker and Travel versions of Pandanté cards yesterday. International shipping is a bit crazy, but I definitely want to get my hands on the complete Puzzle Strike eventually, too.

5. Daxmort

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Last 9 hours of the kickstarter, and after a glowing recommendation from Tycho (of Penny Arcade fame), we're now sitting at $180,790 out of a potential $200,000. $2,200 an hour to hit the goal at this rate!

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'd jump in for just the digital EX cards, but I didn't see a digital only option.

7. Daxmort

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Sadly, the kickstarter has nothing to do with digital-related stuff, and the foil/ex-cards are planned eventually anyway, just hopefully with greater haste if interest in the app picks up.

However, the kickstarter is now sitting at $186k, only $14k left for the full $200k!

8. Daxmort

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    All the way up to $191k, only 9k needed to reach the $200k target and the foil cards. If there's anyone interested in the real game that hasn't backed it yet, make sure you do, there are only 5 hours left!

9. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Based on a conversation I had with David a while back, the plan is to include stat tracking in the app, and then have the player be able to unlock the EX cards for free on a character-by-character basis by winning a certain number of matches against each individual opponent.

I wouldn't mind even if they were an IAP, and it'd probably make more sense financially to do it that way, so we'll see if the plan changes.

10. Daxmort

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Heads up, the Kickstarter finished, and in part (we all assume) due to a nice reference from Tycho in one of his comic blurbs on the Penny-Arcade site, the kickstarter went crazy in the last 4-ish hours and went from roughly $191k to $217kk.

Everyone gets foil cards, and Yomi got an extra $17k backing on top of that.

11. baelnor

baelnor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Had this on my list for ages and finally bought it. What a great game! Only played a few games so far but it seems like a lot of fun. I am sure it gets even more fun vs human opponents.

I hope the ai stays solid for a while, I need a good plane game

12. bungho

bungho Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I bought Yomi on the basis of a Boardgamegeek blog recommendation and I like card games. The tutorial isn't great and the game highlights the available cards you can use so it's too easy to start randomly throwing down cards without really understanding what you are doing or why you can only use certain cards at different times.

At first I thought 'Wow, $10 for a stupid rock/paper/scissors guessing game.' After persisting, I thought 'Ok, this is a game about maximizing damage when you guess right.'

After more playing more and reading the forums, I started to realize this is a game about hand management, like poker. Poker is a random game, yet the good players win consistently and understand the odds.

After many more games, I came to appreciate there is even more depth: you must out-fox your opponent on the initial move based on what he's played and his strengths, maximize damage while considering future potential, manage your hand, play according to your characters strength, and capitalize on your opponents characters weakness. All at the same time.

The rock/paper/scissors description of the game does an incredible disservice to the depth and play balance of the game.

I think Yomi is an underrated game with the caveat that it's hard to get into.

Some things that could improve: It would be nice to be able to turn off the card highlight helper to force you to learn the rules. It's one thing to understand which cards you can use in play, it's something else to look at your hand and understand the optimal card to use at that time. Also, the cards have too much text on them. I found turning off the help text on cards to be easier to read. Being able to view all the characters cards from within the app would be a great help. The fantasy strike site is a mixed bag. The few characters who have completed guides provide a wealth of tips, information, and understanding of how to play against other characters. The other guides are incomplete. It's a steep learning curve for newbies.

I think Yomi is an amazing card game that captures the unpredictability of fighting with diverse characters who all play very differently. If you enjoy card games or fighting games then it's well worth your while to check it out.

13. dr.morton

dr.morton Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I can only agree with bungho.

IMO Yomi blows all the card collecting games out of the water.

But since it does not have the card collecting/deck building metagame it might not appeal to the current pay-to-play generation.

A lot of players complain that Yomi is just "Rock/Paper/Scissors" but seem not to realize that their favorite card game is just "Rock/Rock/Rock".

14. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Yomi has been on my wishlist for a while so I noticed it was just updated with EX characters and is now Universal! Changing the thread title to reflect the universal change.

15. bungho

bungho Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Just want to thank the devs for adding the iPhone app for free in the recent update. Inclusion of the EX cards and card list of all decks is great. This is a fun game on the go.

Wish list: higher res cards for the iphone. I can almost make out the unzoomed card stats on a 6 plus. Something like an 'experience doubler' to make grinding for the EX decks feasible. OCD completionists will want all the EX decks & $100 or 700 wins to unlock all decks is a lot.

16. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    You should email what you wrote to the devs. I haven't seen them on the forum, so it would be awesome if your recommendation reached them.

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #97 LordGek, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    It is true that it is in a large part based on the ol' roshambo, but with the cards and each characters' unique abilities, it gets a bit deeper than that.

Like if I know my opponent just upgraded a few of his cards to Aces (usually equivalent to a classic fighting game's super move), I need to play extra cautiously as those attacks can be devastating. On the other hand, I might see my opponent's hand is down to 2 cards, he's already made a few huge moves, and feel pretty confident all he has left is a lame block card or 2, and therefore try to come at him with a throw he likely can't counter.

I'm still pretty new to the game and must admit many of the characters' powers, like Grave's, where I think I get what his ability does but can't figure out how best to use it effectively.

18. V Kuolema

V Kuolema Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Canada
    So is this worth it to play on a 5S?

What if you plan on playing exclusively solo? Also one review online mentioned you must be online to play this game-- true or not?

19. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    You can play against the computer offline, no problem.

20. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    First they brought us digital Yomi on the go with the iPad app, and now we have digital Yomi in your pocket! Thanks guys!!!

But my obvious fanboy status aside, I did actually play a few games of this on my 5C, and it works flawlessly. You can select a card, which will zoom it in, just the like the iPad version, and it's enough to read it, but if you want it a bit bigger, just turn your device upright and zooms the card in even more to fill in the screen at that orientation.

Sizes of cards and buttons are fine, too, as I never accidentally pressed anything I didn't mean to tap on. They did a great job shrinking everything down.