Universal Yomi (by Sirlin Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 16, 2014.

1. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    The ability read "*Poker Flourish Poker Flourish: [End of Turn] Make a poker hand with the top 2 cards of your discard pile and up to 3 cards from your hand, then discard this card to get the effect:"

Simply reveal at the end of the turn. And there is usually always a chance of one of those hands, since you draw two cards from your discard pile. And the game will never skip the option, since doing so would tip off your opponent to whether that card was in your hand or not.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Unless just unlucky I'm never given the option to reveal this card end of turn. I'm told end of turn no relevant abilities, and even if I attempt to click on the non-highlighted card, it still gives me no option to use it.

Weird. I know I'm not the only one with this as it was brought up by another guy in the BGG forums, but nobody else has yet to confirm it.

I'll grab a screenshot next time it happens to send to devs.

3. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    I'll play some Lum tonight to see if it happens to me. I'd post it in the forum. I started a topic for iPad app issues here:

http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/yomi-for-ipad-issues.9322/

4. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
  5. dedyp79

dedyp79 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    How to see all character deck cards ? Need to know each characters 2-10,J,Q,K,A cards abilities.

6. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
  7. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Would love to play this on the go.. I did successfully get it installed on my iPhone by editing the info.plist file, and it actually plays fine, however the artwork for the cards shows up blank....bummer! :(
    Guess I'll just have to hope for an official iPhone version or for the app to get a universal update

8. doctorfedora

doctorfedora Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I take Japanese text and make it English text, for
    Kyoto
    Whoa, would you be willing to elaborate? I'm kind of curious how the interface looks on iPhone, too — are things rearranged properly, or are the top and bottom basically just cut off?

9. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

It's pretty simple to do. Open the info.plist file and change the number under where it says UIDeviceFamily from a 2 to a 1.

As for how the game looks.. well, exactly how it looks on the iPad except much smaller :p It's actually perfectly playable, apart from the actual card artwork not showing up and obviously the text is really tiny, but still readable at least. Hope they actually do make an iPhone port though, at least that way they'd probably resize/rearrange things to make it more suitable for the smaller screen.

10. thedemographic

thedemographic Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    This is the biggest disappointment for me. It doesn't make any sense why I can't review all of the cards for each character within the app. Otherwise, the app conversion is well-done. But I think the lack of a card gallery is a huge deficiency.

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #71 LordGek, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    The dev seems open to feedback and I'm surely such a feature is an easy add.

An almost decent fix BUT it only covers the first 10.

Oh, and great review there, Mr. Mojo.

12. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Thank you very much!

And ya, I don't actually have the assistant app, so I didn't know it only had the first 10 chars. Sorry about that.

13. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    New update:

Also, just another reminder that people who are justifiably sick of all the generic "free" auto-combat card games being released might want to take a serious look at this game instead.

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It is good stuff and, thankfully, not that hard to get at least a basic understanding as, when boiled down, each hero has their one primary passive rule tweak and normally no more than 2 unique special abilities tied to a couple of cards.

15. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    In case anyone reading this doesn't already know, if you're on the fence about buying this and want to try the game, you can play the web version for free on a Mac or PC, using a random character. You can play through the tutorial, play against the AI, or against other people. Go to http://www.fantasystrike.com, sign up for a free account, and hit Play.

16. Daxmort

Daxmort Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Bought this earlier, and I'm actually very impressed. If I lived near anywhere that the game was more commonly played, I'd probably look into getting a deck myself, but I'll just manage with the app. I do however wish that the index app was available here, though if it only has the first ten in it anyway, it probably doesn't matter too much.

17. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, that app seemed pretty handy but as it only covers half the characters, pretty obsolete, even more so since it appears the various powers and cards, at least in the online version, have had many tweaks over time. So far the best asset I've found to stay on top of the latest incarnations is this page of the Fantasy Strike website:

http://www.fantasystrike.com/guide/index.php/Yomi

You'll see all of the characters' cards, the history of changes, strategies, and even each character's backstory.

18. Daxmort

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Just out of curiosity, how old is the app, and is it frequently updated? I'm really loving it, and while it doesn't matter so much to them as they now have my money anyway, I'm hoping that they plan to release more cards and keep up with balance fixes better than the YGO games without releasing another £6.99 app, or just dropping it altogether. Some of the kick starter stuff would be great to see implemented.

19. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    In the App Store you can view the version history for the app, including descriptions of what was in each update. It shows that version 1.0 was released in April 2014, and there have been 4 updates since then, with the most recent being a few days ago.

20. Daxmort

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Ah, thanks for explaining that. Still, I hope they do as I'm hoping they will and keep tossing in little additions, DLC or otherwise, as a lot of the stuff coming to the kickstarter sounds awesome--I'm actually very tempted to back it, despite not being anywhere near a populated area that would play it.