Universal Yomi (by Sirlin Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 16, 2014.

1. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hi all,

So, I'm torn here. I love the premise, and I'm very likely to buy this today. However, what I'm missing is some sort of single player campaign like the classic arcade fighting games.

Does survival mode for that gap somewhat? I.e. are you always playing with the same character, and different opponents come at you? Do you start with full health every match? And are opponents different, or fully random (meaning, could you get the same opponent twice in a row, or within a small number of matches)?

And is there any local leaderboard for survival, per character?

Just trying to wrap my head around how much I will actually play this...

2. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    When I search for Yomi on the App Store, the first 'hit' is a game called BattleCon which does seem quite similar; it's free to try. Has anyone given this a go? If so, is it worth consideration?

3. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    #43 badmanj, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    deleted

4. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    BattleCON is pretty fun as well, although I personally prefer Yomi. While Yomi is played from full decks of cards, BattleCON gives you very few cards to choose from with a very different mechanic for using them. It's fun, but in a different way than Yomi. Where Yomi has you trying to outguess your opponent, BattleCON is more of a risk/reward type of game, where the more powerful your attack is, the "slower" it is, and whoever gets the faster attack out each round usually succeeds that round. Like, Yomi, though, there is much more to it than the basic mechanics, and each character has different play styles with their own strengths and weaknesses.

But the short answer is yes, it's worth checking out as well if you are into this kind of game. Plus you can play it on iPhone as well as iPad, and the app is A LOT more polished and stable now than when it first released.

5. kjmathew

kjmathew Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Definitely getting this when they release for iPhone--grateful to know thanks to developer's intro post that an iphone release is in the cards ;( sorry bad pun) hope this game gets the initial support it deserves to make it happen. Without playing yet, it seems refreshing, fair, and deep, to say the least, which is exactly what iOS needs.

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yes! This is a scored deal which appears to track your best run per character. You choose a single character and the game tosses random opponents at you (not sure if they mix in expansion characters if you don't have the expansion). Also, just to make it nastier, you'll only recover a little health at the end of each round as you proceed to your next opponent so you'll really need to be mindful of the damage you're taking. I can't recall if you have multiple lives or if a single defeat knocks you out.

My one gripe so far, minor but still meaningful, is that while this game will supposedly let you continue from your previously created online profile, I seemed to have locked myself out of that opportunity. In the online game I'm linked in via my Facebook account which I can't appear to do here on the iPad so I've had to start a new account as LordGek2.

7. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    I had the same issue. If you go to your fantasystrike.com account that you log in through Facebook with and go to your profile, then go to "change" your password, it will say that your account does not have a password and will ask if you want to create one. Then you can use that password (or change it to whatever you want in your profile after) to log in to the iPad app with.

8. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks Tim. I guess I might take the plunge then, and hope for something different for single player in the long run.

Cheers!

9. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Enjoying it so far, and the artwork is a joy, to the point where I'm tempted to buy a real deck just because they look like a really cool set of playing cards.

This certainly isn't Hearthstone or Card Wars though. It's quite complex, with a lot of rules to understand and each card is loaded with data. The tutorial did a good job, but it was a little overwhelming, and there's some card abilities that still don't make a lot of sense to me.

This is certainly something that you're not going to fully grasp until you've given it a good chunk of your time and "learned by doing".

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Thanks, LordGek is back!

11. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Quick question.

Do the characters animate when you play your cards with the moves you choose?

12. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Jesus

I am spending waaaay too much time abroad. Even I dont understand what I have just written lol!

When you play the cards does it animate the characters like watching a turn based streetfighter 2?

13. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Sort of. They are not full animations, but there are little movements by the characters.

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hey, anybody playing as Lum the Panda?

I heard mention that the End of Turn Poker Hand card never actually triggers. I hope this isn't true as that seems like such a cute game within a game there.

15. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    I think it's fair to say that they don't animate - the image of your character just changes to their image on the card you play.

Just to clarify for some people: This is a card game with a fighting theme. The focus here is on playing cards. The gameplay is purely that of a card game.

The fighting part is just aesthetics. Great aesthetics yes, but Sirlin could have easily used the same rules to create a scifi or fantasy card game if they had wanted.

I wouldn't want anybody to drop $10 on this expecting a unique genre mash-up, because it isn't. It's just a card game...but a fun one. :)

16. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    I've played a few matches as Lum against the AI and never had any issues with his abilities not triggering.

17. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #57 LordGek, Apr 17, 2014
    Have you ever made a poker hand then?

I never see this as an End of Turn option to play that card.

18. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Yes. That ability has worked for me every time I went to use it.

19. jForsythe

jForsythe Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    18th here

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #60 LordGek, Apr 17, 2014
    How is it triggered? Does it need to be used in combat successfully and then is an option at the end of turn or could you simply reveal it at the end of the turn?

Do they skip the option when the game knows you have no chance in heck of making any of those hands?