Universal Yomi (by Sirlin Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 16, 2014.

1. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    If you are looking for iPad specific video, then I'm sure that boardgamegeek.com will have their video review up within a few days. If you are just looking for videos about Yomi itself, there are a ton:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=yomi+card+game

And I don't think I'm breaking the embargo by saying that this is a must own game for anyone that is a fan of fighting games or card battle games, and that it is really awesome to finally have this game on the iPad.

2. thedemographic

thedemographic Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Really excited to play this on the iPad. I hadn't played before last week, but I'm now hooked on the FantasyStrike version. My only concerns are potential bugs or interface difficulties. Based strictly on the game and content, I'm more than happy to pay for the full game and expansion decks.

3. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    I have not encountered any noticable bugs after having played through quite a few matches with many of the characters. The interface is quite well done as well.

I hope the devs don't mind me sharing that, lol. But as someone stated above, it IS the 17th already somewhere. ;)

4. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Well, you are Thedemographic they're targeting, after all.

[​IMG]

On a more constructive note, the physical game's BGG entry can be found here.

5. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Can try the browser version here

Not sure if i like it or not

6. thedemographic

Jul 7, 2010
    Very glad to hear that--I'm definitely encouraged. Can you explain how they implemented the card flip/zoom interactions compared to the right and left click from the pc version?

7. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    #27 MrMojoRisin, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    Yes, it's actually very well done. To zoom in, you tap on a card, then tap again on it to zoom out. To flip, you just put your finger on a card and pull it down for a second then release.

Then to play a card, you can either drag it up to the play area, or tap to zoom in then tap the "play" button, which only shows up if that card can be played.

Also, all of that is explained in the very excellent tutorial.

8. thedemographic

Jul 7, 2010
    Thanks for the explanation. Sounds very intuitive.

9. xx99

xx99 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    IT Help Desk
    Michigan
    Man, I had no idea this was coming to iOS. I've been eyeballing the physical version for a long time, but it's so much more expensive than this ($100 for the base set, IIRC).

Happy to pick this up to support the porting of good board and card games to iOS.

10. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Damn ipad is on a roll with cool games. Unfortunately I can't afford another idevice. Bummer. I was super excited for this release too.

11. Lathariel

Lathariel New Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Still waiting for the release in EU, I refuse to sleep before buying this.

12. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Yomi's an odd game in that I would say it is a deeper experience with the physical version, as there is a lot of bluffing. Yet, I find the digital version more fun as you just play without the tense stare downs, nor the need to calculated certain abilities.

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #33 LordGek, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    So for a more authentic experience you need to have your regular online opponents send a pic of them intently staring dead faced at their camera so you can stare at it as you play. Did they just play a combo breaking joker or are they bluffing...stare at their picture long enough and you'll see their tell. ;)

14. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Hahahahahaha!

Anyhow, I am happy that there is a virtual version. Nobody would be able to play with me if I had the physical version.

15. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ah how I've missed you, dear 'Tini.

I'm the same. My household is very picky, and I can't see them getting into this. That said, while intrigued I don't know if this is my style. I think I need to try out the free online version first.

That said, I'm a fan of ascension, magic and hearthstone... Less so magic as sometimes I just want to play and enjoy, for that reason I wasn't a huge fan of Calculords.

I also need to limit my tapping and scrolling, something I'm able to get around with Waterdeep and ascension.

16. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I tried the free version first. And it is like a rock-paper-scissor, but more subtle. The great thing is that this game is balanced. You will win because you are able to guess your opponents move, not because you have a lot of money.

17. mcarthon

mcarthon Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    #37 mcarthon, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    So it's a one on one battle with each card having certain moves? Or do you have a deck? Either buying this or hitman go will get both eventually... Tough!

18. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Each character is their own preset deck.

19. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    The multiplayer seems a bit glitchy, takes forever to find a match, so I play AI matches during the wait, but when a match comes up, it just quits to the menu. Haven't managed to successfully get into a multiplayer match yet.

That aside, the APP is really polished. I notice that even if you don't buy the extra characters, you can still get them when picking random.

20. mcarthon

mcarthon Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Went with hitman go since I'm already playing hearthstone another card game, but wil def be watching this one and buying very soon.