Universal Year Walk - (by Simogo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Sounds good! Thanks for the quick reply; I'm sure this game will be up there with The Room on my list of "Short but ridiculously awesome" games by the time I'm done with it.

2. wateracid

wateracid Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    #102 wateracid, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    Just finished the game.

I just read the hidden note viewer in the companion which u unlock after finishing your first walk .

I am curious? Is the character girl Stina in the game who was murdered real? Cos if she was , then that's really creepy.

Anyone knows?

3. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    @wateracid - be careful not to post spoilers for those who have not played the game. If you discuss anything about the story, you should use spoiler tags.

4. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
  5. wateracid

Sep 19, 2009

Oh! She's a developer!

I thought she's really murdered in 19 century Sweden , that's really scary. I thought I might not be able to sleep tonight !!

But is the story real? A teenage girl murdered? If it is then that's really creepy! And why's Stina Swedish ? Is this all real?

I know I may sound foolish , but I just want to make sense of all this ! If all this is made up , then this is really the best art game I ever played.( or experienced:) ).

Hope someone who knows can give me an answer. Thanks.

6. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    #106 BoneyCork, Feb 21, 2013
    OK, just finished up with it. Probably took me 90mins total including 30 minutes of "staring at the screen stuck" time.

They've absolutely nailed the atmosphere and style, so hats off to them for that, but I think it's kinda lacking in other areas - even when compared to other "arty" adventure games like S&S. There's not much of a story and about...five puzzles?

It wasn't terrible, but I feel I wouldn't have been missing out on much had I not played it. Just a very average experience overall. Unfortunately I can see it picking up all sorts of GOTY awards come December because it's so unique, but it's just not up to the same standard as other similar games IMO.

EDIT: After going through the companion I feel everything has been tied up much more nicely. I'd strongly recommend everybody give both apps their attention.

7. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    #107 Wicked8146, Feb 21, 2013
    It's not real.

I can't help but keep thinking about this statement from Simogo "We believe that very few will find every little secret. Those of you who will are in for a big treat." Perhaps there is something else going on... In the
    extra notes you get at the end of the game
    , there are some mysterious numbers and things that could be clues to other things.

3-10
    30-30
    19-11

What do these mean?

8. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    My plan once I start playing is to enter every string of random numbers I find in the game into the companion app, provided it fits. Tell me there's a "big secret" in a game, and I'm a sucker for trying to figure it out.

But yeah, I'm staying out of this thread until I'm done playing, now that spoilers have begun emerging in force.

9. wateracid

Sep 19, 2009
    Ok major spoiler

I have my interpretation , and major spoiler. I believe this is the big final secret in the game.

The character you are playing as is Daniel , you murdered Stina as she no longer love you anymore. As you are jealous of Lukas as mentioned in the journal. So to save Stina means killing yourself( knife in the box), so Stina can marry someone she love. But that's a really bad ending and meaningless moral to the story. So I would guess there's a best solution to make this a win win solution. So you won't have to kill yourself and retain Stinas love.

Just my interpretation. Maybe there's another secret , I sure hope so. This is a really f..ked up ending
    if Stina dumps you for someone new that she love and you have to kill yourself.....

10. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Maybe a thread for spoilers and use of the numbers perhaps?

11. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Download size was about 200mb, size on my phone is about 800mb. Hopefully that will shrink in an update. Don't get why the uncompressed size would be 4x greater.

12. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Music is my guess

13. sawyer4325

sawyer4325 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    This game is awesome, I don't like being scared, but this game is just...too hard stays way from. I'm stuck in...

the creepy tree ladies house, after the owls. I feel there is a pattern I am suposed to use, but not sure. Does the sound that comes after you enter a light area help? Like the chimes?

Help please!

14. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Each of the teleports plays a note when you're in front of it, you have to match the note with the note that's already playing in the background. They need to sound "in tune".

15. sawyer4325

May 20, 2011
    Oooh ok thanks! Man I love this game...

16. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Managing director, artist, musician, programmer, d
    U.K.
    I posted this in the 'upcoming games' forum, too.

I thought you guys might like a largely spoiler-free map I made in Visio this morning. It might save you some annoying wandering about. It's not exhaustive, and doesn't give puzzle details, but it might just stave off 'Damnit, how the hell did I get back here again?' disease.

17. sawyer4325

May 20, 2011
    5 star from TA...totally worthy of it! GOTY for me!

18. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I just don't get that if all the music fits in that 200mb size, why it expands so much?

19. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Look at penny arcade game. 100mb or 200mb after install 1.0 GB

20. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I believe it. I just can't wrap my head around the logic of it.