iPad Year Of The Ox - fastpace arcade action

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nomand, Jan 21, 2009.

1. nomand

nomand Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    #1 nomand, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2009
    Year of the Ox
    [​IMG]

Website, screenshots, gameplay video

iTunes appstore link

*Celebrate Chinese New Year with 'Year of the Ox'
    *Extremely fast, Arcade style, action-based gameplay
    *Besides the main game, the application also includes FIREWORKS SIMULATION to get you into that festive mood
    *Hyper-realistic and beautifully rendered fireworks effects that you won't believe capable of running on a mobile device.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

all feedback is encouraged :D

2. Eng

Eng Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    #2 Eng, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
    Just bought it ;)

EDIT : wow, the lighting from the fireworks is really nice.

3. nomand

nomand Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    thank you! :D
    we are working on an update with more types of fireworks and a few improvements. check out the site for updates in progress. ;)
    thanks again!

4. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    pester power

WOW, first time this has happened. My 2 year old daughter saw the youtube video, watched it 8 times and is begging for more. She probably needs therapy, but I thought spending the £.59 would be cheaper.

The Ox sign "prosperity through fortitude and hard work". I hope it delivers! I'm a sucker for nice graphics, and the whole concept, although simple, is clever and well executed. There is room to increase the game play though, as there is a lot of style but little substance. At only£.59/$.99, there is not much to complain about!

5. The graphics look VERY nice indeed. However I don't see much evidence of "several interactive locations". Are they all the same size? What's interactive about them?

Looks pretty good and well polished for a cheap game.

6. nomand

nomand Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    wow thats a nice thing tho right? :D i mean... advertizing gets into minds of our children :p not allways though ;)

we are working on alternative modes of gameplay, but since the game is themed about a specific event, we wont be expanding it by much, rather creating our next game ;)

thanks! we're happy that the the graphics achieved well, it was important to deliver the art style to fit the theme and set the mood.
    Well, because the game is very small, that whole area of the game is the whole location, it has the Ox home with scoreboards, pavillion with the game mode and the fireworks hut with the fireworks mode. those are the supposed locations. i hope it didnt mislead much.
    thanks for feedback!

7. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    three interactive locations

A shed that displays high scores when you get near, a pergola where you can access the game mode and a how to play screen, and a stand where you can select one of the 3 different fireworks, which are a bit samy anyway.

The game itself, although very simple, is quite a challenge, running after rats and jumping on them, stampeding for a while as soon as you have a rat count of 50. Managed a pitiful 215 sec, can't see myself trying A LOT harder to improve on this.
    OK, this felt like a TOFTT! lol

Somebody needs to go out there (not an easy task with a mad ox rampaging around) and fix the fence, it's sinking into the ground at the back.

8. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    Thank you nomand!
    I can give you suggestions for at least 11 different games based on the same idea! :p

Other than that, just like paper pilot, it's a clever use of the unity engine!:)

9. akame

akame Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    nice game...fantastic.:p

10. Yes I actually find that misleading myself. What does everyone else think? I assumed "several interactive locations" would actually be different maps with their own sets of obstacles etc.

11. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    I agree with you wasted, that's what I was expecting. In this case it's not locations, but it's an interactive/integrated menu/navigation system, nothing more.

12. nomand

nomand Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    we are working on a wider variety of fireworks, theres gona be more. We had little time to get the app by the Chinese New Year (plus some spare for apple approval process) so we cut down to buy time. We're definately adding the other bits in the update ;)

omg! i'm just talking to our dev team about that fense, because i made it like that XD it was supposed to be "broken" at the back XD to add variety, to visually ad interest. the area is still fensed off by the trees and bushes, but you see you see! you noticed the fense ^-^ it got your attention *yusssss* lol

you're actually doing quite well... the best time we achieved during play test was 115 seconds :rolleyes:

all suggestions are welcome! but again, we'll be rolling out an update for additional gameplay modes, more fireworks, but taking the seasonal nature, it will be lame to still roll out updates months after CNY right? right? :p

only paper pilot got a lot of bad attention due to their total use of default template unity assets =\

Thanks! very appreciated :)

we've taken the feedback into account, and changed it to "with location-based menus" instead. thanks ;)

13. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    115: NO WAY! :rolleyes:

my suggestions were merely for 11 other chinese zodiac signs! :p

As for paper pilot... when you play a game you don't worry about who wrote it. If someone is being ripped off there are copyright laws, otherwise it's all fair and square to the end user, but I can imagine that in the devs world it's a bit different. Egos!:p

14. Thanks. It's just I can see a lot more other people assuming the same thing, and you may get a lot of disappointed customers on your hands who may accuse you of misleading them, which I am sure you don't want. By changing it to the above, you will certainly make it clear enough now. Much better ;)

15. nomand

nomand Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    yeah, just generally, using stock non-exclusive content for commercial products is a very bad practice XD.. but anyway~

actually at the beginning we were thinking of having 12 zodiac animals and like a directory of traits and behaviors based on zodiac, with appropriate animations for each, but there was just no time. we had 3 weeks to complete an app, so this is what we did ;)

16. nomand

nomand Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Thank you and sorry to have mislead you with a confusing description. :eek:

17. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #17 Donburns99, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
    Just bought this, I must say for stomping and stampeding rats, that was a lot of fun.

On my first try I got 149 seconds and on my second I got 135 seconds. ^ ^

That last rat was a pain to track down both times.

The fireworks are a lot of fun, for 99 cents this app is very well made.

How about an option to change the view to looking up at the sky while setting off fireworks?

18. Jchen331

Jchen331 New Member

Jan 22, 2009

Thanks! We are considering how to frame the fireworks better, but at the moment it's not top priority. :D

19. nomand

nomand Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    yep, as he said :p. i was suggesting to add a rotate gesture control so that when you slide to fingers in an opposite direction (in a rotation motion) the camera rotates around the ox.. not sure how we'll go about that just yet.

20. nomand

nomand Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    #20 nomand, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
    Update 1.01 is now up on appstore.
    in this update:

More beginner/user-friendly controls:
    - Tilt controls disabled when menus are accessed. Exit buttons provided.
    - Accelerometer is calibrated on start-up.

Fireworks:
    - Additional fireworks: "Dragonfly".
    - Sparks particles now come to rest on the ground.

Compatibility:
    - Now compatible with firmware 2.0 up to 2.2
    - Now compatible with 1st generation iPod Touch.*

ipod touch G1 owners please provide us feedback on framerates and playability on the device. we dont have a first gen ipod to test the game on.