Universal YANKAI'S TRIANGLE (by Kenny Sun)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Ok here's my 260: http://www.appunwrapper.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/img_4438.png

2. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    I'm a few levels out from 260 and have a lot of stuff to deal with right now, so I'll update in about 8-9 hours, sorry!

3. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    So this game worth picking up challenge wise ?

4. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    this game is like a love child of Severed and Desert Golfing.

5. #25 AppUnwrapper, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    Looks like the hourglass doesn't stay in place! Surprised I didn't encounter it properly until 278!

It's the first time I have absolutely no clue what to do. They won't stay in place.

Edit: Just got it! Super tricky!

6. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    this is bloody fantastic. Right up there with Imbroglio and Verreciel as games of the year for me. Three sides to every story.

7. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
  8. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Someone says, it's on a level with Imbroglio. I'm downloading now!

9. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Definitely, if you're willing to deal with a kind of uneven difficulty curve and a lot of buildup levels.

Level 268 gave me a really tough time, hardest level I've done so far.

10. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Is it possible to turn off statistics on top? I think it messes with the experience.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    So I decided to turn off colorblind mode and try to put up with the regular mode and you guys are absolutely right...there's a world of difference between how the game plays.

12. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Ok, yes, it's highly addicting, but so far I don't feel a huge accomplishment, since it's all just trial and error. I don't really feel like I need to think. Game feels great, but so far I don't feel challenged. Might come later.

13. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    #33 TheGreatEscaper, Nov 8, 2016
    The challenge definitely comes into play later. The first 70-80 levels are a breeze, then the levels start taking a bit of time, and once you've reached the late 100s you'll be hitting some real corkers.

Additionally a lot of new mechanics get introduced wordlessly. Most of them are pretty easy to figure out or self explanatory, then some of the later ones get tricky. These hourglasses are throwing me in for a loop AppUnwrapper, not giving up yet but I'm seriously wondering how on earth I can keep em both in.

Edit: aaaaaand just as I post this comment I work it out. Clever clever, it took me a while but I thought through all the possibilities and what seemed to make sense just worked! I really love mechanics like this that mess a bit with the way you've grown accustomed to playing the game.

14. Usually I scoff at games with endless randomized puzzles. Or even hundreds and hundreds of handcrafted levels. I much prefer the filler-less games like Snakebird. But there's just something so so satisfying about clicking those triangles into place that it's been holding my attention despite the fact that it only really throws in a challenge once in a while. I think maybe it helps to see it more as a toy than a game? Like, I'm just enjoying tapping those triangles and am kind of glad there's no end to it. I'm sure I'll burn out soon, the same way I do when I listen to music I like nonstop. I mean, I played over 300 levels in less than 24 hrs. Is it getting a little old now? Yeah, and I should probably take a break. But I can totally see myself pulling this out every once in a while to play a few levels here and there.

15. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Great description, that's how it feels. And yes, since I'm still playing.... it's fantastic for what it is :)

16. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    Fantastic game, very very addictive; I just can't stop playing it

17. #37 AppUnwrapper, Nov 8, 2016
    Level 340 and the game came back with the outline pieces. I'm still not sure how they work. But this is definitely a slow burn game that requires some patience if you want to see all it has to offer. I wonder when it stops throwing new things at you.

Edit: And here's some later levels if you want to see what it's like. Including those lovable tick tock sounds.

18. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Ooh, now I need to make it to level 340. The outline pieces are my faaaavourite. Pay attention to what they can and cannot join to and you should be able to work out what they are. I've seen some mechanics similar to them before so I was lucky to work them out quickly in the first 2 times they showed up.

19. I got through that level quickly. Just not really sure what the pattern was. I took some screenshots to look at later in case I don't see them again for a while. I'm at 373 and haven't seen it again.

This is one of my GOTY. I still can't stop playing. It's distracting me so I don't stress over the election. :p

20. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am not sure why I am enjoying this game, but I am. Very different!