Universal YANKAI'S PEAK. (by Kenny Sun)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BlackEyedGamer, May 30, 2017.

1. Bumpygames

Bumpygames Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2016
    croatia

here is some Game Trailer

2. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am so excited that I finished Part 1 completely. This is just really special!

3. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Absolutely concur with TheGreatEscaper.

Brilliant movement mechanic because many unexpected movement can be made leading to unexpected chain reactions to push around other triangles. Moreover, at times, it is tricky to set up a chain reaction of other triangles without distributing existing triangles that are already in place.

4. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    This is fantastic.

Sad to see poor reviews for this on the UK App Store from people getting stuck on level 4 (Yankai's CORNER).

Just posted a review with the following hint for anyone else struggling:

FOR THOSE STUCK ON "CORNER", START AS FOLLOWS:
    Move forward one triangle.
    Pin the left point.
    Pivot forward.
    Try undoing and redoing it slowly a few times to get your head around it. This is a key move.

5. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I left a review (5 stars) on the UK AppStore and Kenny Sun sent me a beautiful response. Kenny, Benny, Lenny, and Jenny Sun are all legends in my house.

6. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    COMPLETED!

That was great. No usage stats withon the app, but my battery stats say I played for 5.3 hours. So clever. New twists on the mechanics all the way to the final level.

It was pretty heavy on the battery. I had to give up playing on a long train journey yesterday as it was draining so fast. I've only just noticed the options to turn off particles and blur in the menu, which may have helped slightly.

7. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I found this to be true too. Device gets extremely hot as well. Surprised that the game is so battery draining and processor extensive. Perhaps the developer can address these issues in a future update.

8. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    wow - well done, Mr Bez - I'm still on Part II - gardening duties yesterday - but so pleased to hear it's possible. That'll keep me going til the end.

9. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Yeah, it's doable. I did skip a few levels and come back to them later. Yankai's Canvas (2-20) was one of the last levels I solved.

10. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    I was stuck on Canvas for a while, too. I've 100% completed worlds 1-5, gave up on 100%ing world 6 so I've now moved on to world 7. World 7 is reallllly messing me up. This new mechanic is so hard for me to get to grips with!

11. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I think the second part of world 5 was the toughest for me to grasp. The unlimited undo really helped, slowly replaying a move repeatedly. World 7 does force you to rethink things you've taken for granted though!

The main thing that I think would have helped me is the ability to view a level from an isometric perspective. I found it really hard to tell which pyramids were floating from the top-down view, for example.

12. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Oof. Home run now! I've got Ribbon, Rictus, Turtle, and Minefield left. They all seem like devilish little things. In the case of Minefield, a devilish very big thing.

13. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #33 y2kmp3, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Agree that 2-20 Canvas is a brilliantly designed level. Also took a while to see the trick to solve it. The difficulty for this particular level lies in the fact that an initial wrong move pretty well dooms you from the start. Once you see the "proper" rotation, however, the path quickly becomes obvious.

Truly impressed that mr_bez already solved the game. This is Snakebird level difficulty.

14. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Super impressed with mr bez too! The movement mechanics truly clicked with me in the later stages of 100%ing world 2, which made worlds 3-5 feel a lot easier, but you can't deny there are some truly devious levels, especially in world 6, a few of whose solutions are still eluding me.

15. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Can someone explain how the placements of the pyramids work with the "ascend" and "descend" mechanics? The relative positions of how the pyramids are placed when they are ascended seem arbitrary. For example, in Recourse (Part V Level 11), the red and blue ascend tiles are not adjacent to each other, and yet when the red and blue pyramids are ascended, they lie adjacent to each other conveniently so that they could be turned and descend. This makes no sense to me. Also, how are the descended positions determined? I can brute force my way to locate the descended positions by experimentation, but I would like to know the rules behind them.

16. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Yeah, there was a point where the mechanics clicked for for me and it started to go more easily, but a few kept me stumped for a while.

Turtle was one of those until I remembered how floating pyramids worked, then I solved it quite quickly.

If you want any hints, let me know what you're stuck on.

17. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    mr_bez,

I am still making progress so no hint needed as yet. I am just puzzled about the ascend and descend mechanics. Right now, I am just reacting to them and brute force my way to solve them. What I like instead is to understand the underlying rules so that I can actually predict how they behave when they ascend or descend. Perhaps a few more levels down the road may clarify the rules for me.

18. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Sorry, didn't see this. Although the perspective makes it look like the "ascended" tiles are moving to the side, they are directly above their previous position but rotated 180°.

Due to the 180° rotation, if two tiles are touching by a point when descended, they will both touch by an edge when ascended. If they are touching by an edge, they will still be touching by an edge.

If a pyramid is "knocked off" an ascended tile, it will fall straight down but be rotated 180°.

19. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Thanks for the explanation, mr_bez.

If the tiles are to rotate 180-degree when ascended (which, as you pointed out, would explain why two tiles that are touched by a point when descended would now touch by an edge when ascended), I don't understand why two tiles that are touched by an edge would always stay touched by an edge when ascended (or descended)? This latter behavior to me seems contradictory.

Also, when a tile is "knocked off" from an ascended position, it does not always rotate 180-degree from its original position as I have seen it rotated only 60-degree. Can you explain more?

20. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Sorry, yeah, realised after I said that that it isn't always true. It works out that way if the tiles are above one another on the screen (in the same column), but not if they are side by side (in the same row).
    Yeah, the rotation is actually 60°, but because they're equilateral triangles, they have rotational symmetry and so a 60° rotation has the same effect as a 180° rotation. I just found it easier to picture what will happen if I think of it as a 180° rotation.

At least, this is how I made sense of it.