Out Now Yaga The Roleplaying Folktale (by Versus Evil)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 19, 2019.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Good point. From what I’ve seen so far, though, it seems like a big game.

CatalinZZ likes this.
  2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Off in what way? So far the mix of melee, targeted ranged, and dodge rolls works very well for me. Blocking is iffy, though, but not necessary.

CatalinZZ and macplash like this.
  3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #23 macplash, Oct 26, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    I finished the first big quest for Tzar. There are tons of options how to play it, so the replayability is guaranteed. Now of to go to another. I love this game.

Anyone knows how to get rid of the bad luck spell? I helped someone to uncover the demon and he cursed me. From that point my bad luck grows continuously untill it's full. Than the witch appears and steal something from me. Happened to me before, but now she stole golden egg worth 300 kopeks which pissed me off. I don't know how to lift the curse once it's cast. Anyone?

EDIT: I don’t know how and when the game saves, but when I came back I was just about getting my bad luck meter full, so I managed to sell that golden egg successfully. And craft some sweet stuff. Like adding a firefly to the hammer? Looks great! Yaga eventually came and broke my shovel, but luckily the ingredients are not lost so I was able to pick em up and craft it again. Still. That stupid curse that I’m slowly losing kopeks. Despite it being annoying, is there a way to lift the curse?

Yaga appears at 4:22 for those impatient ones.. sorry for just staying there waiting like a dummy.:rolleyes:

CatalinZZ likes this.
  4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I’m drowning in games lately so haven’t been on the AA pages much but looks like this will be the first of today’s releases I try when I can.

5. CatalinZZ

CatalinZZ Member

Oct 26, 2019
    Male
    Game Designer
    Hi everyone!
    Thanks for playing the game. I'm Catalin, part of the development team.
    Mostly responsible for game design, main story, about half of the dialogue and all the rhymes. I can't take credit for the funny side-quests, those are all my colleagues.

I'll answer some of the points raised in this thread.

You're right, it does need fixing. To help along, you should know that tapping once on an answer will "highlight" it, and show the type of response in the circle to the left of the answers (green for selfish, red for aggressive, yellow for righteous and purple for foolish). You could use that to direct your character evolution. Tapping the second time on the same answer will actualyl select it.

I'll also try to find a way to make sure the notifications don't get hidden behind the text, but that update will probably take a while.

We have an update queued, and are planning on sending it to Apple early next week, which will fix a bunch of issues and bugs, but a fix for this notification isn't in there yet. But, as I said, tapping between choices allows you to preview what kind of answers you'll give.

Yes, controller is supported. We've done all development using a controller, so I'd say it's the better way to play, but the guys doing the mobile interface spent a lot of time trying to make it work nice as well.

Depends on what you mean by "everything".
    Going once through the story and not doing any of the bigger side-quests can take around 7-8 hours, but you're unlikely to meet all of the small characters and encounters.
    Doing everything you can find in a single playthough can make it last up to 12 hours.

Beyond that, the game has six different endings, depending on choices and personality you have throughout the game, so seeing all of them and making different choices in the quests will require you to play the came a couple of times.
    Also, only one ending makes grandma really happy ;)

Thanks for complimenting the graphics, animations and VO. I would be really curious to understand what didn't feel good about the fighting mechanics. Can you elaborate?

Soo... your character is kind of cursed with bad luck :) It's actually been growing from the start of the game, unrelated to that particular encounter. That one just gave you a "boost" that accelerates the bad luck until it gets full once. Once the Bad Luck Event happens, you reset from zero, and based on your actions and choices it will start growing again. You are an "unlucky blacksmith" after all...
    The only way to get rid of your Bad Luck completely is to finish the story :)

That's actually Likho, the incarnation of Bad Luck. She's the one who cut off your arm at the start of the game, and she's chasing you from time to time, trying to kill you completely. Good luck with that one...

Thanks! I hope you'll enjoy it.

Hit me up for any additional questions, I'll answer when I can.

Lull4by, Ringerill, stubbieoz and 2 others like this.
  6. CatalinZZ

CatalinZZ Member

Oct 26, 2019
    Male
    Game Designer
    #26 CatalinZZ, Oct 26, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    To be more precise:

Bad effects, curses and blessings and using magic items causes your Bad Luck to increase. So if you purchase many blessings or piss off people and make them curse you, this will happen more often..

Once it reaches maximum, Likho comes, takes some of your stuff, and Bad Luck is reset, along with any active curses/blessings.
    Then you start over, and have some time to breathe and get comfortable.

Oh, and look out for a "Four Leaf Clover". It's a magic item that clears all of your Bad Luck. Use it wisely.

macplash likes this.
  7. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @CatalinZZ welcome to TouchArcade forums and thank you very much for giving us such a great game and detailed answers to our questions. I personally love your game. The rhymes, dialogues, overall art and visuals.. voice acting and music! Everything’s just top-notch.

Speaking about music. I tried to reach out to you guys by email, but I guess Friday evening’s not the best time to seek response. Is there a soundtrack available? I found Subcarpati on Apple Music (as a band responsible for music by information on your website), but not the OST. Does it exist?

8. CatalinZZ

CatalinZZ Member

Oct 26, 2019
    Male
    Game Designer
    Sorry, I was out of town with limited internet access.

The OST is not on Apple Music yet. Not sure if we can put it there will have to check
    It's purchaseable with the PC or PS4 version of the game, and we'll put it on YouTube sometime next week.

9. CatalinZZ

CatalinZZ Member

Oct 26, 2019
    Male
    Game Designer
    I know it might not be ideal, but there's LOTS of things happening at once for us now :)

10. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    My PS4 is collecting dust this last year. I could buy the Steam version if the soundtrack is available in a bundle. That would be neat. Also if you could check if it’s possible to add it to Apple Music, it’d be great as well. It’s just more convenient for me so I can have it in my shared library. Anyway, thanks again for your response.

11. sharfaust

sharfaust Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Congratulations on making such a wonderful game! Here’s hoping for much success with Yaga and for more great games from you in the future (including a Yaga sequel)!

12. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Enjoying the game a lot.
    One little niggle;
    Playing on the big iPad Pro 3rd Gen has the Home button as a thin bar at the bottom of the screen.
    A developer has an option of leaving it white, having it transparent or hiding it completely.
    You currently have it white which means if a player accidentally swipes up from the bottom of the screen you are sent back to your home screen. Apart from that it is somewhat annoying to see it there constantly.

It is much preferable to have it transparent or even better, disappear. That way a person has to swipe up twice to go to the home screen.

13. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Does the story pick up with a bigger main quest? I like the game but a lot of it seems to be fetch quests from what I’ve played so far.

14. DarthTigger

DarthTigger Member

May 13, 2015
    Same here. Anyone know where to find this guy? Very frustrating to get stuck literally on the first quest.

BTW, they could really help the control scheme by just letting you reposition the virtual joystick. That, and/or add touch-and-go as an option.

Thanks!

15. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @DarthTigger it’s been answered already. Leave the village. There’s literally nowhere else to go.

16. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I find the combat mechanics feeling imprecise, it’s hard to hit and evade because it feels kind of floaty and slow. A good comparison is the game Barbearian which I loved and had much more responsive action. To me it’s a real shame, as everything else is top notch, from graphics, animations and voice acting.

17. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @GiHubb you’re not the first one making such complaint, however I personally am perfectly fine with touch controls. This is NOT hack ‘n slash like Devil May Cry and that’s how I’m approaching it. Dodging feels just fine and hit + dodge strategy works absolutely fine for me. I already fought multiple bosses and large groups of enemies and yet I can go through the stage without necessity of using bread. So, yeah. What I’m struggling with is the aiming when throwing a hammer. Left joystick just doesn’t work for me. But I understand it’s just touch controls limitations and can live with it. It most certainly won’t ruin my overall experience while playing this masterpiece.

18. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Hi @CatalinZZ - Really great game, enjoying it a lot.

One question: When your hammer breaks, is the only way to get a new one by crafting a new enhancement? Mine broke thanks to bad luck ofc and I had two other hammers (two different enhancements) in my "inventory" (hammers shown when you tap on salvage ore at the forge). There was no way to select one of them though and the only way to stop the blacksmith to fight with his fist and get a hammer again was through forging a new enhancement (as I didn‘t have any ore I had to salvage one and lose that enhancement).

Is this intended like that or am I totally blind and overlooking a way to select another hammer? And if it really is intended, what would one do if he doesn’t have any ore/enhancements or kopeks to buy any? In that case, are you just forced to fight with the fist (which makes enemies pretty hard)?

stubbieoz likes this.
  19. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Guess @CatalinZZ is busy elsewhere atm - Does anybody else of you guys have an answer to my question above?

My hammer broke again after another bad luck event (didn‘t have a four leaf clover anymore as well) and - for whatever reason - not being able to choose one of the other hammers I have is really starting to ruin my fun with the game. I don‘t want to (and probably soon can‘t afford to anymore) always craft a new enhancement and/or salvage/destroy one of my hammers to be able to equip a new one.

This also makes zero sense, I really hope I‘m overlooking something. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

20. OddAlun

OddAlun Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2017
    When I’m in the Village I can go into the Inventory, choose one of my hammers and then choose Equip.

Can’t do this during the Quest?

Gambler likes this.