iPad XPilot now available

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by SeanCier, Jul 14, 2009.

1. SeanCier

SeanCier Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Introducing XPilot for the iPhone, the first game from 7b5 Labs, now available in the app store. XPilot is a resurrection of the classic '90s online multiplayer space action game for UNIX workstations, and is full of retro goodness (plus some cool new iPhone-specific toys and completely revamped controls) -- but it's also an incredibly addictive game that hasn't been duplicated (or even imitated) since its creation. XPilot is fully open source -- the source can be downloaded today from the 7b5 Labs website.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jerm71

jerm71 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    anyone play this? im undecided...

3. stinkbotRob

stinkbotRob New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Bought. It's a great blast from the past.

The controls work and are responsive (although initially they felt backwards to me). Flying became quickly intuitive, and combat straightforward.

I wish I could change my name without leaving the app. I can't seem to swipe open the controls without firing. I ran into some latency issues with more distant servers, but I remember that happening to Xpilot in the old days. Pick a nearby-sounding server for the best experience.

Overall, it's very fun. Some of these maps have a lot to explore -- more content than a lot of iPhone games have at launch, which is a pleasant surprise. It's a more fun multiplayer experience than the RoboFighters app I bought yesterday.

4. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    This looks great! I plan on picking it up today. Hopefully some others can look past fancy graphics for the sake of quality multiplayer.

5. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I wonder if this version is compatible with the non iphone based XPilot games... (cross platform multiplayer).

6. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    The perk would be a lot more people to play against, the downside is those on the iDevices would get rocked by those using better controls. ;)

7. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas

From Blake's front page
    post about Xpilot:
    -----------------------------------------
    XPilot for the iPhone feels pretty much like the desktop version, but with a smaller play screen.* It works, though.* And just like the original, there's a chat feature, so you can talk smack to those you are schooling.* (In fact, when I mentioned I was on an iPhone, three of the players in the match ran off to download it, allowing me to repeatedly destroy them — mwahaahaa!* I suggest this tactic to iPhone players everywhere.
    -----------------------------------------
    This leads me to hope that you can play verses other platforms...
    Already bought it, looks good, will take a while to learn the
    controls.

8. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    Interesting... I'd just be concerned about them having a serious upper hand. It's hard to compete with keyboard/mouse controls for a game like this, no matter how intuitive the touch screen is. I'll have to give it a try soon to find out for myself, I suppose.

9. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    The devs released a video. I might actually get this, I was playing the windows build of XPilot-ng.

10. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    I downloaded it, and while I'm impressed with the gameplay and features, the controls are incredibly difficult. I'm either going too fast or too slow, and my thumb is often getting in the way. I'm having a hard time grasping the idea of putting my finger a distance *behind* the craft. The further back, the faster it goes, as opposed to putting it in front. I understand that having your finger in front of you will block wherever you're aiming, but the controls simply feel a bit clumsy. Even in the video the developer sent, they were bouncing all over the level. There's also no real way to turn your ship without moving in the direction as well, and even the "stopping" feature is pretty weak. I'd love a way to turn my vessel without having to move it

I think a better controlling scheme would be a form of analog stick on the right side to aim your ship, with a thrust button/bar to control the speed, and a separate button to shoot. I'd sacrifice the ability to comfortably thrust AND shoot at the same time to have better control over my ship, although if there was a slider bar to adjust thrust, you could set it to continue moving while you slid your thumb over to shoot. Even just having something like this as an alternative method to moving the ship around for those of us who would prefer it. I think the control scheme that's implimented is interesting and appears simple, but in my practice it's actually rather complicated, and makes me feel like I don't have much control over my ship. It's just not overly intuitive or accurate, I guess.

Once they figure out a better controlling scheme, or whenever the handful of us that will look past it and persist in learning them, I'll be a little happier with the purchase. For now, there's been barely anyone on to play with, but I've managed to bang into enough walls to kill myself plenty.

11. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I agree about the controls.

12. SeanCier

SeanCier Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Thanks for the thoughtful analysis, Uhgii. I'm one of the developers, and while I don't actually disagree with much of what you wrote, perhaps I can add some insight:

If you're talking about turning to aim without changing your direction of movement -- try tapping, or else moving your finger in the center circle inside the control ring. If you mean you'd like to change your direction of movement without changing the way the ship's pointing -- well, that's part of XPilot's challenge and its charm: the physics of a spaceflight don't allow that, and that's one thing you have to master to be an effective pilot.

Actually, one hint we will include in future tutorials: try *only* tapping for ship control, don't hold at all. When you get used to that, hold the taps for longer. Actually works reasonably well both for beginning control and to "ease into" learning the controls at full thrust.

That's an interesting idea. Actually we're experimenting with alternative control schemes for 1.1, and our two current favourite candidates aren't too far off from this; but they still uses a single control for steering *and* thrust, so we might have to try the idea of the two being separate areas of the screen and see where that goes.

If you join and there are no players on nearby servers, try selecting XPilot*.7b5Labs.com -- there are always AI players there to make things interesting, and the AI is quite good.

13. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Thats cool about the AI. IN the next update please remember to include a tutorial.