Universal Xenowerk Tactics (by Pixelbite)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Quoad, Oct 9, 2019.

1. LinC

LinC Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Reviewers never play the game fully before reviewing. They don't care nor do they have the time to do so. That's why if you want a review of a game, only trust those gaming review channels on youtube, not some generic website doing it for the $.

Another SUPER annoying thing with this game: how you get these annoying as f*ck ambushes every 3 steps, with no way to avoid them. Oh and don't forget, no one has the ability to actually detect an exit during ambushes so you spend 10min walking around in circles getting NO loot and negligible exp (who was the genius who thought killing 100 monsters in an ambush gives the same amount of ep as killing 1 monster??). After getting the same ambush 5 times in a row in a trek that is literally half my iPhone's screen width I just said f*ck it I'm done. This is not fun, it's boring, repetitive, not challenging and doesn't even qualify as grinding as it drops zero loot. This dev really messed up this game, like they gave it to some unpaid interns who has zero idea how to make an RPG/tactics game to come up with ideas.

AI and NPC pathfinding is a complete joke too. For the AI they're dumb af and easily exploited to get stuck around corners or gaps. NPC pathfinding is even more of a joke as they often get stuck around corners even if you explicitly drag a path for them, as if they're unable to automatically perform turns more than 45 degrees. I mean seriously, games from pre-2000 had better pathfinding than this game. What in the world happened here??

2. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    1. Some characters have abilities to avoid ambushes
    2. One class can detect exits, and it is covered in the tutorial

3. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #43 stubbieoz, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    The latest patch has an exploration mode so you can continue playing if you concluded a campaign. Also hardcore was introduced.
    Not sure if that fixes the problem you guys are talking about the game ending abruptly. but I think I will get it while it’s on sale anyway.

Edit 28th Dec 2019;
    After a couple of hours playing today I’m glad I bought it.
    It is a temporary welcome change of pace from the more complex tactical games I have been playing lately.
    That’s not to say it’s a walkover. I started on easy, then restarted a hard game, and ten minutes later went back to my easy game, lol.
    I quite like how you can instantly go from action to tactical mode.
    I think the 1.1.3 patch may have fixed some of the problems you guys mentioned. It plays really well on an iPad.

Would be nice to be able rename my team members though..... some of those names :confused:

W8rd3 likes this.
  4. They have changed the business model from requiring players to pay it upfront to letting them try it first and buy it later.

5. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Like they have on android.

6. Yes but they did that for Andriod since launch

7. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Well, unfortunately someone screwed up the update so if you downloaded the game for free yesterday, it didn’t have IAP implemented yet. The proper update came few hours later. So there’s already a bunch of losers taking advantage of it - not updating the game. Instead of properly supporting the developer. And even bragging about it. And that just makes me sad.

8. What about those who bought the game upfront in the previous version? Will the update recognise their purchase?

9. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Makara Nou of course! It’s even stated in their patch notes. Works like a charm.

10. Unordinary

Unordinary Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Amsterdam
    I downloaded the game when i saw it was free on appsliced, i didn’t know it was a mistake until after i read about it here so of course i downloaded the update, but the game still says i bought it.

11. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Unordinary I don’t know how it works for new players. I bought the game on day one. Just re-downloaded again and it says I previously bought the game when tapping on a briefcase in lower right corner.

Perhaps someone who doesn’t own the game and didn’t download yesterday’s not upgraded yet version either could try now? To clarify if it’s still a bug or what’s going on.

12. Seem like i cant find the ‘buy’ button. Do i need to play some game first and then it will pop up?

13. Unordinary

Unordinary Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Amsterdam
    When you start the app there will be a shopping bag icon in the lower right corner

14. #54 Makara Nou, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    The update was released 23h ago but App Store hasn't alerted me. Let me download it and find out.

*edit: it says i already bought the game. My theory is they made it free before rolling the update. So, if you downloaded it before the update, the game would register you as a buyer.

15. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Yep, that’s exactly what happened. Although I wouldn’t blame Pixelbite in this case. I’d say they sent an update, unlocked the game but since there’s new version (not just a build), Apple has tendency to review it again. And it takes time unless the dev requests expedited review, which is limited. Hence the few hour delay.

The thing is, what they’re going to do about it? With sites like appsliced monitoring discounts, probably a lot of people grabbed it before the proper update rolled out. It could be a huge loss for Pixelbite. And from what I’ve read even if someone has a conscience and would’ve wanted to purchase the game additionally, it’s just not possible. It already registered the game as previously purchased for that Apple ID. It’s a tricky situation. I’m curious how this is gonna be resolved.

Makara Nou likes this.
  16. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    They can have it back if they want it, so far as I’m concerned.