Universal Xenowerk Tactics (by Pixelbite)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Quoad, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I’ve just cleared my first two skull dropzone.

It involved new aliens spawning, then standing still like lemons whilst my one “bait” yellow bloke shot them to bits *shrugs*

34885AB5-430B-4221-9564-98557B58CB24.jpeg

I can’t honestly say I’m really feeling this game yet. If it wasn’t xenowerks, with its fantastic legacy, I’m not sure I’d still be playing.

AI is meh. (As above). Camera is ganky / too close. Gameplay is pretty simplistic. Adrenaline is almost nil. Giving a shit about my chars is, so far, non existent.

Lack of load out options is *facepalm*. You’ve basically got one of three (is that it?) identikit chars with abilities. At L1, two of those three chars have abilities that should just bloody well be a minimap.

Home base is meh. Feels like some inspiration has been taken from Darkest Dungeon (trauma, events, wagons of new recruits, levelling) but without the depth, nuance or rich character variations that make that work. Also feels like strain tactics, in storyline and principle, but without the rich depth of gameplay and characterisation that makes that week.

Lots of levels are just dull. (Ambush. Shoot one wave of five enemies. Leave. Or bunker. Find target computer in second room. Leave). Enemy variation isn’t great. Equipment is mostly single purpose (buy this to access this level on this trip).

Perhaps this will improve with eg a crew of L15 five skull busting tanks.

But perhaps it won’t.

Son of Anarchy and ste86uk like this.
  2. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Just to add to that, certainly with L1 chars the only rationale for not taking along 3 hardass green grenade blokes is that if you do, you’ll waste a tonne of time searching for objectives. Because the other two have half the minimap each. (But do far less damage).

meh.

ste86uk likes this.
  3. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I agree with everything you said so far I’m a bit disappointed with this and probably wouldn’t even be playing if it wasn’t for the previous game.

I do the same lining up my troops and using one as bait to pull things back to the firing line. Also felt the same about the dps between the 3 different classes...

I wouldn’t recommend to anyone to buy this really...

stubbieoz and Quoad like this.
  4. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    If the day doesn't advance until you get a new zone that means you can farm as much as you want, although if you get hurt I assume you don't heal until you go to the next day or can afford to keep camping?

5. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    So far I don’t see why the day changing really matters as it seems the game doesn’t continue on until you complete your main story mission and you can just keep doing side quests instead.

So yes if you don’t get hurt much which is pretty easy you could keep doing jobs but I’ve just been doing 1 then skipping to the next day as you only get your daily income when the day changes and there’s seems to be no down side to days progressing anyway. Also the day changing does need to happen to heal and level up characters.

6. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    I have completed the game and day changes matters sometimes. Some of missions are limited and you should complete it in time limit. And in the end, if you choose certain faction, you have five days to perform a certain mission to protect humanity from extinction.

7. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    So if you haven’t triggered a time critical mission, there’s literally no incentive to take on more challenging mission chains / escapades by linking side missions together?

*facepalm*

I’ve been pushing my teams to chain missions, because chuffing obviously it feels as if this is the intention - play against time, carefully match your limited equipment capacity to chain the most possible, maximise gains within time, trauma and equipment limits.

if it isn’t, then good grief. What a total faceplant of design.

8. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Also, if you noticed, operations are time-limited.
    Also, there is a reason to hurry up and go out for more missions a day
    Xenowerk influence is rising 2% a day, and if it reaches 100%, humanity dies in five days. There is a mission to stop madness, but I preferred to watch what will happen.

Quoad likes this.
  9. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    It’s taken me 1.5 days to realise that exp is both exposure and experience *facepalm* I’ve been alternately trying to max it out, then avoiding maxing it out, as my understanding shifted *facepalm*

10. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    It has taken north of five (idk how many) hours of persistence, but I’m beginning to quite enjoy this.

The start is poorly managed, dull guff. But the step up from l2 to l3 is very substantial - brutal, even - and characters begin to get much more fruity once they’ve got two or three available powers.

Son of Anarchy likes this.
  11. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    And an entire level three squad, representing a considerable investment of time and energy, has just been destroyed because my thumb rested on the bottom of the screen. *facepalm*

12. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Ouch! :confused:
    Sorry to hear that.

(Mental note to self if I buy Xenowerk Tactics....... Put iPad into Guided Access mode.)

Quoad likes this.
  13. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Something weird happened on this.

You get 2 (?) days to send out a rescue party.

I sent out one party. My other three L3 people. They got hit by FIVE CONSECUTIVE THREE SKULL HORROR CARDS @ a loss of 25% morale per card, with each 25% causing them 1 trauma (requires hospitalisation for >0 days), and 100% morale taking them out of action completely. They had medevac insurance and so were able to get back to base when demoralised, but were crippled and I’d rescued just one of the 3 lost team. (It was a pitifully short venture. I was hammered by those morale cards, with them appearing in quick succession). So I was basically looking at about 4 days of nothing but hospitalisation with almost no missions In order to get a damaged / reduced team back, after one (one!) clumsy thumb encroachment. Can’t say I was impressed. When the cards / dice go wrong, it can feel a bit OTT / loaded.

Uh, this game is exceptionally good at preventing ragequits. Quit in the middle of a battle and come back; you’ll be exactly where you left off. There’s no unpeeling of game events, ever.

Except this time, when I next went back, it was as if the rescue mission had never happened *shrugs*. Able to send out 3 L3 operatives on a rescue mission this time with some protection against horror. (Well, tbf, this meant sending out 2xL3 and 1xL2 with anti-horror characteristics).

I managed to retrieve all three, so now have a functional group again. In need of a fair bit of hospitalisation, but nowhere near as bad as it had looked (wrt both absolute losses and temp hospitalisations). Odd!

14. LinC

LinC Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Is this game supposed to end after like 15 days? Cause mine just abruptly ended for some reason after a "5 day warning" and apparently unlocked one of the endings? If so then that's crazily stupid since I barely unlocked half of the map and have been building my team, and now I can't even do anything with that save anymore and have to start a completely new game??

15. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Mine didn’t. I eventually gave up out of boredom, mind.

Someone up thread persisted more, I think.

16. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I stopped at day 24, it seems.

IIRC, getting 100% for one of the factions, the top one, triggers the five day thing?

17. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    According to a review I read, filling any faction meter will trigger endgame.

18. LinC

LinC Member

Dec 31, 2017
    If that's the case then I don't know what the devs were thinking. Even though the game is already extremely shallow, at least the map allows for some grinding/replayability. Why in the world would you remove that by forcefully ending the game when you complete any objective?? Now I gotta purposely NOT hand in some quests (which is so easy to forget due to the flashing icon urging you to hand in quests) to avoid my game being over? LOL. This game just went from "too easy, too shallow but alright gameplay" to a pure disappointment.

19. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Would pretty much agree.

I kept on persisting, hoping it would become worthwhile. And there was a moment as I tried to get to one of the more difficult landing zones where it felt, briefly, challenging and interesting. But that was at, like, 3 or 4* (so I’d already spent far too long playing a game that felt like drudgery); and once I’d got it, I struggled to work out why on earth I’d bothered. Thereafter, every time I started it up I found myself looking at a screen and thinking ‘I just don’t care enough about any of these missions to bother planning a route.’

Bland, though. Ultimately bland. A real let-down given the Xenowerks legacy.

20. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Pocket Tactics posted a rather positive review giving it a 4 star rating;
    https://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/xenowerk-tactics/

While I haven’t bought the game myself, it sounds like the reviewer must have just played for a short time, and not reached the abrupt ending situation that you guys are saying happens.