Universal Xenowerk (by Pixelbite)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sugimulm, Jun 17, 2015.

1. MathFan

MathFan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Crashes

Anyone else experiencing game crashes? I have the latest iOS and an iPad 4.

2. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    #222 Brrobotix, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Fair enough, to each their own. Both are good games in their own right

3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Voted in GOTW poll for this game. Easy decision this week. Probably the best dual stick shooter I played in a long time. Visually it's just stunning. Little touches like different colors of flashlight based on a weapon you've equipped, particles from destructable environment (reminds me of first FEAR game) and whatnot. Gameplay is just perfect. Easy to pick up, shoot a lot of aliens in short sessions. I thought my favorite weapons were assault rifles, but I tried shotguns and never picked the assault rifle again. Then I tried explosive weapons and I loved them all. Now I'm enjoying Bolt Driller. Didn't have a chance to try the Bouncers yet, we'll see about them. Flamethrowers are ok as well, very impressive to look at the damage they're causing. With just a few different monsters and basicly just one environment there's surprisingly enough variety to keep you interested for hours. Great game!
    Btw, I went to check how many Pixelbite's games I own and I realized I can complete my collection for free (I've been missing Reckless Getaway and Repulze) thanks to Pixelbite Mega Pack, so I did and now I own every single game from this developer. And I'll continue with the trend, these guys are just the best!

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Why is this not working with complete my bundle?

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup... Wouldnt call it the best DSS, but easily belongs to the best of DSS titles. Belongs up there with Space Marshalls, Inferno 2, Lara Croft Guardian of Light and Minigore 2 among others. Cant put Geometry Wars up there yet since i dont have it yet, but from what i gather it would easily be there too.

And dood, you need to play Repulze. ;)

6. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    It's in Pixelbite Sci-fi Pack only, not included in Mega Pack.

7. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I'm playing Geometry Wars 3 with single stick option checked (by default), it's too intense for dual stick;) Actually if there's a choice I always prefer single stick option (Meltdown, Beat Hazzard..), but in case of Xenowerk the controls are just flawless.

Yep, I completed my bundle and downloaded Repulze even though it brings comparison with AG Drive which seems more polished (shouldn't be a surprise as it's quite newer), but I'm not gonna judge too fast!

8. Pixelbite_Games

Pixelbite_Games Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Game Developer
    Helsingborg, Sweden
    We've noticed a crash related to iOS 9 beta - It's been fixed and will be available in the next game update coming soon!

9. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    I don't get an option to complete the scifi bundle, bought Space Marshalls and Repulze earlier already.
    The Megabundle offers me to complete my collection for a lower price.
    Do you know what's up with that?

10. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Me too. I'm also on an iPad 4 with iOS 8.3. Mostly the game runs perfectly, super fast load times, smooth framerate. But I've had at least 3 crashes, where the game just freezes completely and I have to kill it and restart it. That's over several hours of gameplay, so it hasn't bothered me, but yeah should be fixed.

11. MathFan

MathFan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Thanks

Thanks for the confirmation. I also noticed a bug where an alien shows on the map but cannot be reached; this enemy cannot be killed and the second star cannot be achieved for the level. It happened in the "hard" stages.

This game needs a little more beta testing.

12. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Update is here and it fixes the problem I was having trying to use my MFi controller. Now my Stratus works like a charm, Thank You Pixelbite!

13. Doc Robby

Doc Robby New Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor of Chiropractics
    An American in Queen Beatrix,s court
    #233 Doc Robby, Jun 24, 2015
    I can't see how this game deserves 5 stars. Is it worth the €$1.99? Yes, But not more. I have the feeling it was made by great programmers who lacked the creativity that a good game writer could have provided. The levels and monsters becomes monotonous and mind numbing much too soon. Everything becomes very, very thin after an hour of playing. If there are are devs out there who reading this please know that there is a wide open market (that means lots of €, $, £, ¥, for whoever takes advantage of this) for a top down shooter with a decent storyline, some RPG elements, real time fighting, different levels of difficulty, various fun and creepy monsters, interesting and challenging big bosses, unique ways of unlocking levels, secret rooms, great graphics and controls (of course), a bit of variety in the gamescape and game play, a great selection of weapons, abilities, gear, suits, etc, some puzzle elements, and definitely no IAPs. A game like this can be sold, and will be bought, for a premium price. You may be a great programmer with a lot of heart, but without the creativity of a good game writer on which to build your game around, the game will eventually fall flat on its face as this game has. Of course, this is just one player/game writer's experience.

14. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Dude, these guys made space marshals. This game is just an answer to an earlier cry from space marshals players. They wanted a fast paced arcade shooter, this was the answer. If you want all that go but space marshals.

15. Doc Robby

Doc Robby New Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor of Chiropractics
    An American in Queen Beatrix,s court
    #235 Doc Robby, Jun 24, 2015
    Thanks, I'll check it out. I wasn't aware that these were the same devs that made Space Marshals. It still makes me wonder why they dropped the ball on this one. Is Space Marshals a turn based or real time game?

Edit: Just looked it up... It's a turn based strategy game. I can see why some players were asking for a fast pace arcade style game as this is what I like too. Just because something is face paced and arcade styled doesn't mean it can't be creative and have some of the qualities I listed above. Space Marshals, while not my type of game, seems like a well thought out, well made and creative game. So they do have the potential. I just hope that they use this potential in the future with a much better arcade style top down shooter, because eventually someone will.

16. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    #236 HarryWarden, Jun 24, 2015
    Space Marshals isn't turn-based. It's more of a stealth-based shooter but it's still a shooter.

That said, I do agree with your point that Xenowerks gets very repetitive and is in desperate need of some mission variety. I finished the game and you can barely tell that you have done so because it just restarts the last level, no end credits scroll or anything. A vague short but of text from your commander that doesn't indicate that you have finished the entire game. I hope that like Space Marshals, the developer releases more missions, preferably with more variety of enemies and most importantly, mission objectives.

17. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    There's a sci-fi bundle from PixelBite that includes this, space marshals, and repulze and the price is $6.99. I already own space marshals and repulze, how come I am not getting a reduced "complete my bundle" price?

18. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    That is the discounted price.

19. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    #239 bilboa, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    $6.99 is the full price. Xenowerk only costs $1.99, so if that's the only game in the bundle that he doesn't own there's no way the "complete the bundle" price should be more than $1.99. That said, when I'm looking at the bundle, it shows the full $6.99 price until I actually select it. Then it shows me the price I would need to complete it. So make sure you're actually selecting the bundle.

20. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The bundle actually cost $8.99 for me. What I didn't realise was that this was the NZ App Store and the wrong currency. My apologies.