Universal XenoShyft (by CMON)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    i'm not following this. there is single player mode but no AI? or is the game controlling these hive things and it's just you playing them, meaning not truly cooperative? are you guys asking that they include AI as your playing buddy so you can play you plus up to 3 AI against the hive AI? i'd like to maybe pick this up before the price increase and i only play single player and it doesn't appear that it's fun if it's just you playing. isn't the "enemy" the AI? could someone with a clue give clueless me an example of how this game plays now? thanks!!

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I don't think your alien opponent has any sort of AI, it's a bit like Sentinels of the Multiverse in that regard, they're whatever is randomly drawn for you to face.

In single player you plan out a line of guys to face down the random enemy stack that the game will throw at you. In multiplayer, each player will have to do the same with their own individual stack of baddies so the game automatically scales to the number of players. What makes multiplayer unique though is that the players are free to play troops and equipment on other players' battlefronts besides their own. So if I see that I'm holding my line fine but Joe over there is about to be massively overrun, I can play some armor or medkits down on his troops.

So, taking 2 player as an example, it would be twice as many baddies to face down BUT you're free to assist each other.

As it stands, if you are only playing as 1 player, you can't control multiple facilities playing all parts or even allow AI to control 1 for you (which I admit would probably be pretty weak as it would be tough to coordinate anything with the AI if you can't communicate with it).

I think IF they allowed a single player to control multiple facilities it would work best but admit, even that, would require some pretty tricky interface.

3. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    got it, thanks. and didn't the dev say they are going to allow control of more characters in single player? oh well, don't really care. don't think this is my type of game. play with a stylus and read somewhere it's two finger and pinch. hate playing games where my freaking hand covers most of the playing area.

4. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    About UI and UX, it is the most clumsiest tutorial I have come across in recent memory (as far as Ascension concerned)

5. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    Not clumsy at all.. At least on iPad

6. B1ackLotus

B1ackLotus Member

Aug 4, 2015
    That's a pretty inaccurate statement. Two fingers and pinch are completely unnecessary to play the game, in fact I never ever use it because I already know all the cards; those functions are there to allow for easier navigation of the board until you know the cards by heart, once you do they are superfluous to gameplay, and even then the game could be played without them (by zooming each card individually).

7. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    fantasy monster battles are just not my thing. and just because YOU "never ever use it" doesn't translate to everyone else not having to use it. i'm not a fan of the theme and i'm not a fan of finger manipulation. so, yes, it was an accurate statement.

8. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Still on the fence - I would only play single player, what are your opinions? I really like Sentinels of the multiverse...

9. B1ackLotus

B1ackLotus Member

Aug 4, 2015
    You never said you weren't a fan of the theme. You said, and I'll quote again "don't think this is my type of game. play with a stylus and read somewhere it's two finger and pinch.". That implies it's not your type of game because you play with your stylus.

This is not a "two finger and pinch" and it is not a "finger manipulation" game. Those are inaccurate statements as anyone that has actually played the game can tell you.

Of my last 100 games played maybe in two or three of them I used the zoom/scroll feature, because it is literally an afterthought feature added to the game to facilitate the viewing of certain complicated board states. A feature you use 2% of the time does not make this a game "where my freaking hand covers most of the playing area".

You're free to dislike the game, but the way you phrased it is misinforming for those interested.

10. Chaos Hero

Chaos Hero Active Member

Jul 7, 2015
    This whole response is great.

11. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    This is a way better game than Sentinels imo (And I think Sentinels is pretty fun).
    I have mostly played single player on the app so far (because there are almost never any games when I'm online) and I'm having a blast.
    This is also more challenging than Sentinels (which can be way too easy sometimes).

Like I said in a previous post, if you're even remotely interested in co-op board/cardgames you should get this.

12. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Then why are you playing mobile games?

13. GentlemanRaptor

GentlemanRaptor Active Member

Jun 19, 2014
    I have located another bug! Kind of an awesome bug, too. In between battles, I could drag down infinite paratroopers for no cost into any available slot. There were so many paratroopers, you guys. So many. Also, when our third player disconnected, the board disappeared and we couldn't do anything.

14. B1ackLotus

B1ackLotus Member

Aug 4, 2015
    Wow, awesome bug indeed, amazed no one found it before. It's fixed internally now, thanks a lot.

The disconnection issue is fixed in 1.0.1, which is up for review by Apple, hopefully it'll be out in a few days.

15. Fieryseraph

Fieryseraph Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2011
    #55 Fieryseraph, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    Couple of thoughts for the devs:

I don't think I like the two-finger navigation mechanism, I think you should be able to move the board around with one finger if you're touching an area with no cards.

This one is a game mechanic thought. In Thunderstone, there is a variant where you put all the equipment and items (the stuff you can buy) into one big pile and mix them all together, then deal them all out in piles.

If I bought this game in hard copy, this is the very first tweak I would make. I think piles of static cards are stale and boring. If you get a few piles of things you don't like or don't use that often, it can ruin a whole game before it's even started. But if what you can buy is always changing, the games become more interesting, dynamic, and even more interactive. Please consider making a mode where this is possible.

I also endorse the "play all" button suggestion when it comes to playing the currency.

16. kleerkoat

kleerkoat Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    still haven't really read a definitive answer on if it's playable as a single player? I love deck building games. but online co-op or vs isn't my thing.

I'd buy the game now to throw support for the game but this question is stopping me.

thanks.

17. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    It is a co-op game meant to be played with other players, however you can play the Ai solo, it is a challenge (for me) but quiete doable. Reading through the thread it looks like they will incorporate a competent Ai to play along side you but as yet this feature doesn't exist.

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    @B1ackLotus
    I just noticed a slight change from the official rules in this port. Aren't we the players allowed to choose the item type of 1 of the items? As I understood the rules, 1 item is forced based on our division, 1 item is of a chosen type (so not specific bit you can ensure at least 1 weapon, armor, medical, etc.) per player and then the rest is random.

19. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Found a bug with the pinch zoom. If you're burning a troop to lower the cost of a troop, when you zoom in, if one of your fingers is touching a troop, that troop gets the discount. The discount shouldn't be applicable when you're touching with two fingers.

I think a better board manipulation scheme would be to simply tap with two fingers to zoom in to a specific level and then move around with one finger. Moving and zooming at the same time with two fingers just feels clunky.

One thing I'm confused about is when an item card says it can be played in response to a reveal effect. But I've been able to play them regardless of whether a monster has a reveal ability. Or is simply revealing a monster counted as a "reveal effect"?

20. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Thats not a bug thats just the interface being clunky. And I agree it needs to be fixed.

From the official FAQ:
    Q: When a card says “May be played in response to reveal effects” does this mean it can ONLY be played then?

A: No, this is merely specifying that it CAN be played in response to reveal effects, which usually are not something a player can play cards in response to.

Does that help?