XCom type game - looking for user feedback

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JSeuss, May 10, 2009.

1. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    How about this for a plot idea? Start out with "zombified" aliens - they don't really necessarily have to be zombies, but something that looks like sick or mutated versions of aliens. As you dig deeper into the base you realize you're actually getting deeper into the planet, and at some point metallic walls and surfaces give way to organic tunnels and such. Finally you realize you're headed into the alien's lair. At some point along the way you figure out that the outpost was set up by one of your squadrons, with some sort of chemical compound that was supposed to kill off these aliens. Instead, the compound ended up weakening / mutating the aliens but not killing them, hence the zombie-like versions you encounter at the beginning. Between them and fresh aliens from the hive, though, the original platoon ended up getting killed off. I'm sure I just described 100 different movies and games, but hey, what sci-fi plot really is original any more?

2. ekseight

ekseight Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Poznań Poland
  3. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Posting comments to your Blog, as we speak.

4. Dismiss

Dismiss Active Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Looting, customizable troop equipment and progressively more challenging monsters were trademark attributes of the X-com games and their clones (Infestation, Abomination, Jagged Alliance, etc). If you get this core element right, it would be possible to establish a significant player base, ready to move on to the next stage.

Now, as far as titles are concerned, "Host" or "Breed" could work (ominous, foreshadowing events to come). You could also go for that humorous "B movie effect" with "It came from the Dark Planet" or something like that.

5. Dismiss

Dismiss Active Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Another favourite of mine, but it more or less demands a 3d engine, otherwise it's a slightly simplified Xcom.

6. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I would suggest "Silent Planet" to stress the claustrophobic atmosphere of exploring an infested planet that has gone radio dead. Somehow I'm getting a sci-fi horror vibe with this game concept. :)

Anyway, good going! This should be an interesting title.

7. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    #27 icepulse, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
    Very important: I recommend a "play-by-email" style of online multiplayer, much like the old X-Com PbEM game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM:_Email_games

It's also how the "UniWar" app works, as a contemporary reference.

That would be sublime. Just be sure you can replay the last turn, so "player 1" can see just how "player 2" performed on the prior turn.

UPDATE: I posted on your blog, completely innocuous suggestion for a name.... and it disappeared? Why is that?

Anyway, the name suggestion was "DTOX: Defense Team Objective: Xenos"

Thanks, and good luck with this game!

8. Cid_X

Cid_X Member

Apr 28, 2009
    I would love for you to include destroyable walls/environment. This was a great tactical element I loved to use in the XCOM games.

I love these type of games and will most definitely buy anything XCOM like for the iPhone.

Oh, and hell yes to Incubation! That was a great game as well. Ahh, memories...

9. JSeuss

JSeuss Active Member

May 10, 2009
  10. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    SpecOps or BlackOps or Alien Annihilation.... Pick alien annihilation please :)

11. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Also what kind of weapons can we see in this games? Vehicles maybe?

12. JSeuss

JSeuss Active Member

May 10, 2009
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of Incubation and the expansion. I used to spend hours playing skirmish games against my anyone who'd care to play. I didn't like the coarse grain of movement/actions though.

There will no doubt be elements of Incubation influencing the one I'm making - I just spent so much time in front of it..

13. JSeuss

JSeuss Active Member

May 10, 2009
    While game 2 will expand the tactics and introduce fully equipable units and a host of weapons, the current plan for game 1 is to have 3 different player unit types, where each unit type has a set of 'kits' that can be applied.

The units have differing attributes like armor, movement speed and firing speed, and the kits may modify these attributes slightly as well as giving weapons and skills. Two examples of kits may be Scout and Medic. The kits obviously get more interesting for the heavy armored units, but I wont spoil too much until I have some further plans :)

As for vehicles - not yet. The closest thing you may see is a larger mech you can pilot during missions. But really, that's only speculation at this stage. Most likely there wont be vehicles for quite a while as it's hard to get it right on a grid based game where the grids are at the person level.