Universal XCOM 2 Collection (by Feral Interactive Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Talbs, Nov 4, 2020.

1. edddeduck_feral

edddeduck_feral Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2016
    You need to change the viewable level using the slider on the right side of the screen. Slide the red dot up to the higher level you wish to move onto and then issue the move command as normal.

JasonLL and Talbs like this.
  2. daan_vb

daan_vb Member

May 1, 2013
    Brilliant thank you! I was wondering what that was for

edddeduck_feral likes this.
  3. tinkie277

tinkie277 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Male
    Street Cleaner
    Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
    This is probably the most ambitious game to come to iOS, I didn’t even know it was coming, so when I saw it on here yesterday, I bought it right away.

I own the game on Steam and on the PS4, however my Mac just cannot run it and it is not supported on GeForce Now and I can never be arsed with my PS4, so when I saw the opportunity to play it ‘on the move’, I just could not help myself.

I wondered how well it would run as, like I said, my Mac just couldn’t... so I paid my £23.99 and downloaded, that took a little time and is a huge 8gb game, which I remember it being big on the PC/Console versions.

Once I downloaded it, I popped my AirPods on and thought I would give it a real run for its money.

I own the standard iPhone 11, just the 64gb in black... nothing particularly special, but obviously has a decent CPU/GPU.

I had read comments about battery life and phone heat, I remember the first X-Com being a bit of a phone melter, however that wasn’t ported by the experts that are ‘feral’... these guys track record is nothing short of gold standard these days.

So I booted it up expecting a lengthy wait to get started and to my amazement, I was straight into the game well within 30 seconds... I remember waiting ages on the PS4 for loading etc...

Now I will be honest, my mouth nearly hit the floor at the graphical marvel on my iPhone... I was not expecting the water, reflections, shadows, lighting and textures which are evident within the game... I would arguably say it is one of the most realistic looking games I have seen.

The sound too, an exact replica of the PC/Console counterparts with all the voice acting, music and sound effects, done to a extremely high quality.

So what about the controls, for me this game is just made for a touch screen... I recommend fiddling with the controls a little to tweak them to your taste (as I wasn’t a fan of the double tap to move) and it works perfectly, with typical behaviour from pinch to zoom and rotation... the over watch for all is a welcome addition too.

Lastly the battery drain and phone heat... The phone gets warm at best, it definitely does not get hot. However, the battery does get a little hammer with this game and I would recommend in the first instance maybe playing on charge... I would say it’s about 10% battery for 20 minutes gameplay. So if maths serves me right, you would get about 3 hours 20 minutes playing this without charging. It’s a sacrifice, but one that is well worth it.

So to conclude, is it worth my time and is it worth my money? Well I can safely say that this title is already in my top 3 games of all time on iOS... it is tuned so thoroughly that if you had never heard of X-Com, you would think it had been designed for iOS. £23.99 is an extremely reasonable price tag, which with all Feral ports is a good investment, as they always keep their games up to date with the latest patches and bug fixes and have in the past surprised us with additions such as multiplayer and free DLC content.

Now stop reading this and go buy it, commanders.

4. BazizzleHizzle

BazizzleHizzle Active Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Male
    Absolutely brilliant and I have to pause on occasion and marvel that I'm playing this native on my mobile. If you have the discretionary cash on-hand, this is well worth the price.

Of note: Sometimes when a turn goes badly for me & I attempt to load an autosave from one of the previous turns, the game freezes up and requires a force close/restart. Only from time to time so it's a minor quibble, but I can see this is one of those threads lucky enough to have a developer taking part so I figured I'd share. iPhone X, iOS 14.2, if you need to know, 100GB free hard drive space.

JasonLL likes this.
  5. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    Firstly thanks for the nice words. glad you’re having fun.

I would please request you contact support via the built in email system. That system will attach a support report with a few details about your installation, any crashes, OS versions and more. It also allows us to follow up with questions or keep you updated.

Our support is run by real people who have a direct line of contact with development and design along with decades of experience so you’ll always get an answer by a real person.

6. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    I always play XCOM 2 Collection on PC and PS4 Pro,and I always started with “Veteran Difficulty” which I found difficult to me,mostly cause the timed mission,my question is,This iOS Version have the same Timed missions or do you have plenty of time to complete them? Also,By trying “Easy Mode” the Timed missions still there even on this difficulty?

7. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    Before starting a campaign there are a bunch of options like allowing double the time limit on missions and other health bonuses these are separate from your overall difficulty choices.

I would have a look over all the choices before starting and tailed the experience to what you prefer.

8. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    There are? Is that before starting a whole new game or before each mission?

9. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    Before starting a campaign. On the Difficulty screen tap on Toggle Advanced Options View.

You have loads of options to do with health, timer limits etc.

10. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    I’m having trouble with not dying and I’m on the easiest difficulty is there something I can do to make my turns longer

11. tinkie277

tinkie277 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Male
    Street Cleaner
    Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
    Take your time, try to have your squad in over watch before ending your turn, also try and remain concealed until your squad are in good positions (up high).

JasonLL likes this.
  12. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    When you start the next campaign you can turn on a number of extras to make your soldiers stronger and give you double the turns on time limited missions. You do that in the Advanced Options in the difficulty screen. You can only do this before you start the campaign however.

Also don’t chase the story missions when possible focus on a few more low risk missions before looking for the avatar project or the chosen.

Talbs likes this.
  13. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Does this have any way to enter cheat codes or console commands?

14. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #54 JasonLL, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    I don’t know your experience in the Xcom series so I will offer a couple of basic tips:
    • End your movement in at least half-cover. You don’t want to be caught out in the open when you’re getting fired upon. An exception to this rule might be dealing with the lost (walking dead) since cover means very little dealing with those melee mobs.
    • Grenades are your friend. When I first started playing Xcom I was much more conservative using grenades until I watched some gameplay videos of Xcom vets that are much better at playing the game than I am and most of them use grenades quite liberally to loosen themselves out of difficult situations.
    • Start on the rookie difficulty level if it’s your first game of xcom (would even strongly recommend using extended timers in the advanced options menu for a less stressful first game). I’ve also read that WotC expansion that’s included in the collection makes the game a bit more difficult than the base so starting off easy can be the way to go if you just want to get a feel for the game. There is a bunch of RNG (random element) in Xcom2 so it should be built for a ton of replayability.
    • Learn when to book it for maximum distance and when to move slow and steady around an area (also when you get comfortable with the enemies line of sight you will feel much more comfortable moving about). Usually at the beginning of a conflict you can use two action points to move your soldiers their maximum distance. Some missions require long treks to the objective in a short amount of time (unless you have extra time from the adv options) so you will be forced out of your comfort zone at times. Heck even with the extra time try and play more aggressively during those missions (start out just a bit more aggressive) than your normal playstyle to get used to slightly more aggressive play which will help you in your future games.

15. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Hold your fingers on the top left corner and top right corner of the screen simultaneously which will bring up the console to enter commands.

stlredbird likes this.
  16. oldsnake

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    Thanks,I found them,and they help me a lot,by the way great job to port on Mobile XCOM 2. Well,this it’s not the right tread,but Feral have lot of Mac Games,like Bioshock 2 Remastered,there even a small possibility to get Bioshock on iOS IPhone/iPad published by you? Being abandoned by 2K was such bad..

17. oldsnake

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    That’s righ,War of the Chosen expansion It’s a lot way Harder than XCOM 2 base game.

18. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    Are you on the discord touch arcade chat what’s your username on discord this is my first experience with Xcom

19. BazizzleHizzle

BazizzleHizzle Active Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Male
    I should better clarify what I meant, sorry: I've had the pop-up a few times when the game crashed, and I will of course always hit "Send" to help squash any bugs on your end. What I meant was when a unit dies or I otherwise screw up on a turn & I go to load one of the previous turns, after the loading screen I sometimes get a mostly blank screen (maybe one or two environmental objects hanging onscreen), then it freezes, requiring me to force close and reload the app. Closing it that way doesn't generate the error report pop-up, which I why I figured it was relevant. If you don't know, you can't fix it!

Thanks for your time and attention on this thread. Always increases my level of involvement with a game to be able to discuss any part of it with one of its developers.

20. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    What’s going on it keeps saying war of the chosen I don’t think it’s the one I want what’s the best level for someone new