Universal XCOM 2 Collection (by Feral Interactive Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Talbs, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #21 Talbs, Nov 5, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Just played the first tutorial and watched the cutscenes and landed back in to the mission command HUD and here’s my battery assessment on an Xs Max as I took time and battery notes because I too take this seriously.....
    Played for 26 minutes and the battery went from 85% to 73% so that’s a difference of 12%. So that’s 0.46% battery per minute or nearly 1% just over every 2 minutes.
    Honestly......it’s not brilliant, but that’s pretty standard for these heavy hitters. It’s pretty inline with Civ 6 and from memory basically inline with XCOM EW. You gotta remember this is a couple of years on in terms of game specs, it’s a beefy game.

Heat wise. Yeh ok my device got warm in those 26 minutes. Not fry an egg boiling, but warm. Would an hour of gameplay be worse still or had I reached the temp top? Dunno. I’ll be trying again soon.

I honestly was expecting worse. It’s not great, it’s gonna drain your battery more than tiny wings, but it’s fair considering, I guess.

Son of Anarchy, Ijipop and bx59 like this.
  2. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    @Talbs Thanks for the input, looking forward to hear more impressions from you as a Xs Max owner. Huge fan of Feral releases, but not all the games are that perfect for the phone due to their nature imho. For example, Tropico was pretty good on my phone, but Company of Heroes definitely required an iPad since there is just too much stuff on real time, at least for me.

Please keep us posted about your experience on the phone, if you say it's doable I'll just buy it right away.

3. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    I’ll probably just wait then to a couple updates

4. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    I wanted to try this but it’s ok probably have to wait til I get my hands on the new air or pro

5. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Playing Xcom on an iPad (sat on the sofa while the missus watches some crappy program) is the best (I own this on two consoles and bought a PC to play this when it released). While the textures are not as defined, the animations are more fluid and the loading times much better than any other version. I also love the fact that you can now evac and set over watch for all your team with one button, rather than having to use mods or the janky work arounds.
    The only thing I don’t like is the need to double tap to move, it would work much better if it was two clicks on a square (irregardless of time) rather than a double tap as this can make life awkward (its easy to miss click and move to the square next door). Other than that it is awesome, if you like turn based strategy there is nothing better (well perhaps Phoenix point gives it a run for its money on the PC lol).
    P.s If you are new to Xcom 2 i suggest you all start on the easy setting as the normal difficulty will rip you a new one!

Ta ta peeps!

6. edddeduck_feral

edddeduck_feral Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Thanks for the kind words

Glad you like it, have you noticed we also allow you to equip weapons from other soldiers without having to un-equip them first? There are a bunch of little niceties dotted around the UI for you to discover :)

Ah, there is an option you might like for this. In the Options -> Gameplay area enable "On-Screen Move Button". This has a permanent Move button on screen. You just select the location then press move.

Have fun commander :)

IMG_6B85FDE9AC9E-1.jpeg

7. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #27 ste86uk, Nov 5, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    I don’t know if I’m just getting better quality because I’m in an iPhone 12 pro but so far the cut scenes look pretty great to me, seen the odd bit that didn’t look perfect but mostly looks really clear and good. It’s definitely using up battery but my device didn’t heat up at all but it was only about 15 minutes.

How does this game save? Will it save every turn? Like I just tried the game quickly and had to close it quickly too so I just quit to menu and have no idea where it’s saved up to if at all.

Also is veteran mode ok if you know tbs games well but not Xcom? I’m not really a fan of playing games on easy so I picked veteran.

@edddeduck_feral

8. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    I haven’t purchased the game yet but are there graphics options on all supported devices I know it’s an old device I have the iPad Pro 2017

9. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    No you can’t customise settings yourself, but the graphics settings are carefully tuned per device to give every device the best possible graphics while maintaining performance and thermal temperatures.

Ijipop likes this.
  10. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    Ok awesome

11. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Matches my experience on a pro 11. Was expecting worse for the same.

12. McDeathUK

McDeathUK Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    Decided to pay £15 on cdkeys for the full pc version rather than the iOS version. 68gb install size! Yikes. Great game, far tougher that EW

13. V Kuolema

V Kuolema Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Canada
    Forgot how good this game was. The guys and gals at Feral are amazing, true masters of their craft. I played for almost 4 hours and went from 100% to 20% battery, and my iPad was marginally warm. Went in and added all the developers into the character pool; nice touch. I'm continually impressed but the tiny improvements made. The Overwatch All is a big one, and I just noticed how they managed the camera level, super well done. The best 35$ Canadian I've spent in a long time and anyone who scoffs at the price really needs to understand just the enormous amount of content on offer. I spent a ridiculous amount of time just making characters like Doom Guy and Jason Voorhees to add to the character pool. I really have no issue with the sacrifices they chose to make the install size; and the fact they let you choose to install optional sound and voice packs (which really add some hefty mb's to the game) make it so even I, with a 32 gig iPad, can have the game despite having such a small size.

Bravo.

14. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    Yes,support ICloud Saves

ioso and edddeduck_feral like this.
  15. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    The original game was around 45GB and the videos for the cutscenes alone where many GB's in size. For the iOS version we re-compressed them to help reduce the installation size to approximately 8GB in total. If you are playing on a phone they should look just fine, if you play on an iPad with a large screen then you might see a little bit of compression in small sections.

It saves at the start and end of the missions. You can also manually save at any stage during a mission or in the avenger.

XCOM 2 easy mode isn't that easy, I would usually recommend trying easy mode first but by all means try Veteran and see how you get on.

ste86uk likes this.
  16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    @edddeduck_feral Were you able to keep the same map generating algorithms in the game or did this aspect of the game need to be greatly reduced/simplified for the hugely reduced footprint?

17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Man, I was not expecting to take losses just in the first mission, and hoping at the end just to get the new ranger out alive at least.
    On veteran. Lol, “Fair” score. Guess it’s only upwards (downwards) from here then.

Attached Files:

18. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    The map generation is the same as all the other versions of the game so you have millions (?) of procedurally generated maps generated on the fly. You can even copy your save games (and character pools) over from your desktop game if you wish.

19. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    You can always give yourself a quick boost, we won't tell anyone.... honest ;)

https://support.feralinteractive.com/en/mac-linux-games/xcom2/faqs/ios_cheats/

Talbs likes this.
  20. daan_vb

daan_vb Member

May 1, 2013
    Really enjoying this. A couple of things:

1) Does anyone else have lipsyncing issues during the cut scenes?

2) How do you go up a floor. I see the arrow pointing up on a ladder or pipe but i can't for the life of me work out how to go up it? I think I can see a square to move to on the upper floor but I can't seem to select it.