Universal XCOM®: Enemy Within (by 2K)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sapphire_neo, Nov 12, 2014.

1. djiwai

djiwai Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    thanks I'll try to set mine to english to see if that's the issue.

2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Game is awesome customization wise. Armor tint is there at the get go, so are helmets. If everything else is in-tact, this is the definitive mobile version.

Also I BELIEVE the game models are more detailed. The faces look different in terms of quality since I played the last version a week ago.

3. djiwai

djiwai Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    CONFIRMED. I change my language to english and I now have soldiers voices. so non-US users will soon complain about this until 2K fixes it. well at least french users.

4. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Very same experience I had. Gen 1 hardware: Lag. Freezing. Endless load times... It was playable, but it made my beloved mini chug along like an old truck on a beach.

Then I got my mini 2. Smooth. Fast. Loading in a blink. There was a massive difference.

My fear is that Enemy Within will drag on my mini2 like the original did on mini #1. It would mean the difference between an instabuy and a wait-and-see.

So... Any mini2 users able to report on performance here?

5. seantyas

seantyas Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Getting a ridiculous lag when bringing up the save game menu. It literally sits and paused for about 10-15 seconds doing nothing. I thought it had crashed but it does eventually come up. This is on an iphone 6 plus.

I remember having constant and brutal amounts of crashes with enemy unknown, here's to a new slew of bugs! woohoo!

So yea, I kind of expected I could dive into this new set of levels etc. Seems, so far, like the same game I already played...

6. Kirs

Kirs Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Anyone having iCloud loading issues? Cant seem to load up my XCom EU icloud save file

7. KineticBlur

KineticBlur Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Is it worth buying/playing this on an iPhone 6?

8. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Sorry if this was asked, but if I own the previous version and get the new one, does it make sense to keep the previous version or delete?

9. nekros

nekros Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    EU vs. EW?

So, not getting into the debate over DLC vs. not, I just want to know this: I'm about halfway through (and LOVING) the Enemy Unknown I purchased at full price some time ago… Does Enemy Within include the whole EU content plus more, or is it a separate experience beyond the first? I just want to know if I should continue playing EU or restart in EW instead…

And yes, I'm considering it a bargain getting these quality titles on iOS. I completely enjoyed TWEWY (bought even though I had the DS version some time ago), Final Fantasy Tactics (again, I completed the PS1 version), etc. obtained at full price. Great games are great games, and some are worth multi-dipping on.

That said, if I can get the same experience with EW from the beginning, I'll happily delete EU and go grab that one :)

10. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Yes you can get your EW experience from the beginning and believe me your going to love this even more as your dear soldiers are more customizable, you can create a cowboy soldier here :) and wait till you play the invasion mission... One of my best gaming experience on ps3.

11. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Love this so far and I bought the last one when it came out. I am just happy to see these types if games man. Especially on my 6 plus :)

12. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #133 Rip73, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    Good question.
    Purely from a personal perspective I would say continue with Unknown and then play Within.
    Ultimately, they are the same game per se but the differences between the two are more than enough to qualify it as a different experience.
    The differences will be more apparent if you've played Unknown and, purely in my own case and from my own perspective, having played one before the other, it made Within a far better experience.
    I'm not sure I would of felt the same or had as good an experience if I hadn't played Unknown first. For me it added to the whole thing.

And as you're halfway through Unknown, I'd be inclined to recommend continuing with it anyway but it sorta depends on what you're looking for out if it.
    If it's a multi faceted experience, finish the one you're on and play the next then.
    If a single play through is enough for you, I dunno, either one is a great game and a satisfying experience and it'd be hard to recommend one over the other despite Within having a lot more variables.
    Playing one won't necessitate playing the other but I would recommend both for the variability they offer.
    Just be aware one is an expansion so you will be familiar with it going in if you finish the first but there will also be more than enough extra in Within to offer a new experience on it.

@Marker1c, thank you.

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Do we have any confirmation that the multi-lingual voice packs are in? (This would be soldiers speaking in different native tongues, not localization of all audio for a particular country.)

14. dedyp79

dedyp79 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    this xcom version better than the old one! Many variety strategy and better graphics with shadow effect...play this only guys for full experience...its worth it! (even i've bought the old one full price at launch).

15. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    From what people have been saying, Enemy Within contains the entire Enemy Unknown game (I haven't seen anyone come forward and say that anything has been lost in the translation), so no, if you buy Enemy Within, you won't need to keep the previous version around :)

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Unless they have reduced the number of maps, as per this speculation. Not that I think that would be reason to keep the old version around, anyways :)

17. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Yes, there's that to consider too, but since it wasn't 100% confirmed that those maps were gone - though you've certanly made some some excellently argued points :) - I forgot to mention it. But it definitely wouldn't surprise me if what you said was the case. And no, no that wouldn't be a good enough reason :p

18. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Thanks TheMerc!

19. cyrus

cyrus Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Boo hoo!So looking forward to this as EU was a fav game on my iPad mini. This would now be the most expensive game on the App Store as I'd have to buy a new iPad to play it! WHY?