Universal XCOM®: Enemy Within (by 2K)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sapphire_neo, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Deadpan

Deadpan Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Just got a message when I booted the game up saying it won't work with future versions of IOS (upgraded to 10.3) please don't let us down 2K!

2. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    This happened to a lot of apps
    Maybe apple will kill 32 bit apps support for ios 11
    Bye bye baldurz gate #

3. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Sad. Best game on ios in my opinion. Doesnt get enough love bc of the price tag. Well worth it though. Hoping xcom 2 comes someday.

4. ShelvsHotPencil

ShelvsHotPencil Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    If this game doesn't get updated for iOS 11
    I won't buy Xcom 2
    Or any other 2k games

5. Pheebers

Pheebers Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    oh no

6. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    There are much more premium games which are still 32 Bit like Civilization Rev II, Starships etc. pp. which will not run anymore with iOS 11 ... I wrote several Mails to the developers but no answer at all!

Right now it seems that a lot of money will be burned ...

7. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    No maybe about it, 32 bit apps will not work with iOS 11.

We don't buy apps these days, we rent them.

8. Deadpan

Jan 19, 2010
    I know we can't expect devs to update games forever, but with big name, premium priced (Well maybe not premium but £9.99 is a lot to some people) games, I don't think it's unreasonable for Apple to warn us the game may no longer be supported in future IOS versions before we confirm our purchases, or prevent games being purchased until they are.

I have no idea how much work it is to change from 32-bit to 64-bit but I know I've read that 2K were very happy with the sales of Xcom so fingers crossed they decide it makes good business sense to update.

If not I certainly won't be purchasing any future games of theirs on the app store.

9. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Seconded xD

10. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
  11. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I wouldn't hold my breath. They already gave us the finger with Bioshock.

12. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I think 2K closed the Chinese studio that made this port. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

13. Deadpan

Jan 19, 2010
    I thought Bioshock was broken not long after release? That sort of makes it excusable as you'd think they would have been told before release and there's a certain risk to going back and fixing a game when you're not sure how much money it will make.

If true that's really going to suck, I only got a new phone that could run newer games a few weeks ago and Xcom was the very first one I bought. I'd been looking forward to playing it for a few years at least.

14. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I just don't understand why are they occasionally put this on sale if it's so dead and abandoned?

15. HotHamBoy

HotHamBoy Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    This is a ridiculous issue plaguing iOS in particular. On consoles and PC games don't just stop working after an OS update. Windows even has compatibility modes for that.

Because I don't game on PC and I don't really use my PS3 any more, this was the best and most ideal way to play XCOM. Portable being the biggest draw.

I have Enemy Unknown Plus on Vita but it looks and runs terribly and is missing some of the EW content.

This is an Apple issue, IMO. They need to fix the compatibility breaking with updates rather than putting it on devs.

16. ShelvsHotPencil

ShelvsHotPencil Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Well said let's make the big name devs of game on the App Store boycott apple for a weak.
    Remove all big name apps for a weak where people can't download any good apps.
    And they will get back in the game

17. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    It would be nice if Apple took more of an active role and worked to update the most popular apps/the most expensive apps to 64bit themselves, kind of how Microsoft are working to add backwards compatability for 360 games on the Xbox one - it would be a huge PR win for them amongst gamers

18. Bunion

Bunion Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    As much as I agree with the sentiment, I think that consoles are able to more viably run backwards compatibility due to the superior hardware compared to phones and tablets. Don't get me wrong, phones and tablets are powerful these days but I think Apple want to rid 32 bit support to give them 'room' for improved performance in a few hardware areas.

19. Deadpan

Jan 19, 2010
    I thought it might be worth sharing the twitter accounts of @2ksupport and @2k, you can no longer raise XCOM support tickets on their website but if enough of us bug them on twitter about 64 bit support for Xcom:EW someone might take notice and think it worthwhile either initiating work on supporting 64 bit or announcing that they're working on it on their blog https://blog.2k.com/

Let's see if we can get something out of them!

20. cakewalker

cakewalker Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Glad I recently finished this game.

This is a much Apples problem as it is the publisher.

*Apple for consistently releasing updates which force devs to upgrade their apps.
    *The big publishers, like 2K, who knowingly release these premium titles without the intention of providing support or updates.

I guess also, us the consumer as we also knew we bought into Apple's release ecosystem.
    Considering a switch to another platform if this device ever stops working.

For now, no more games from 2K or the other big offenders.