Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The iOS version doesn't currently include the Second Wave or Slingshot content.

2. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I hope they add that, second wave its the main reason Ive played the ps3 version so much. I specially love the trait that randomizes your rookie stats, all in all they give tons of replay value to an already amazing game.

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    It's great that we have this on iOS. The premium price is excellent news; hopefully this does phenomenally and encourages others to start pricing premium again.

However, for me, personally, Xcom in its current state isn't worth the asking price on this platform. As a discerning consumer, I'm getting a dumbed down version of a product I have seen at a similar price on other platforms. I understand that visual fidelity has to be cut in some areas for the sake of performance and filesize, but what we have here looks downright bad. I've seen better looking and more impressive games made two years ago with A5 chips. Add to that no multiplayer in this release, fewer maps, performance issues even on A6 devices and it's a no-buy from me. It's not about "supporting iOS as a gaming platform" or "being cheap", I'm simply being wise with my resources. I'm not a fan of the genre in the first place, but to pay for a cut-down, ugly product on the iOS platform when I have a very capable PC, just doesn't make much sense.

My $.02. For those who don't have access to other platforms or for some other reason decide to pick this up, enjoy.

4. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    lol for the last line!
    So by what you have play till now is it worth it?
    And i am not asking for that hardcore gamers we have to support big franchises without iaps or for the wow factor of the console edition but as a standalone product for iOS.

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    XCOM isn't the greatest example because it's a fantastic game and it's bound to get good reviews anyways.

So before I say anything let me remind you that I'm not an employee of TouchArcade, I receive no form of compensation (including promos), and I am a user just like everyone here although I am allowed to enforce the rules of the forum. My opinions are mine and mine alone.

What I was talking about was his cumulative bias. When a big company that pays for ads (websites, print, tv, etc.) gives you a peek at a new game you are bound to give it more attention. Or like when a news anchor doesn't ask the tough questions to a politician so they return to the show. Yes it's bias, but it's a bias that comes with the business. If you can't get exclusive content then why would people choose your channel/console/newspaper/whatever? This is also why bad reviews of games/media/gadgets are embargoed until after their release. If you knew how bad something was before it was released you wouldn't buy it, so sites might have to hold their reviews to stay in the maker's good graces. Again, it's part of the business.

Friendship is a much harder line to cross though. If your friends worked immensely hard on a game and gave you early access to it would you be able to be objective? I don't think I could.

Don't get me wrong, I like Rev3 and enjoy their coverage. I subscribe to them on youtube. But If I only had an iPad mini I wouldn't base my purchase on the word of someone who is friends with the dev.

I'm excited for XCOM as are a lot of people. All people should care about or really need to know is if it runs well on their device. For those people, I'd wait for the actual release to hear more reactions on how it runs on the devices they own before they purchase it.

It wasn't meant as a personal attack just as something to keep in my mind. I'd much rather hear from all the users here who are going to post about their experiences and get actual dialog going with them before I trust a friend saying it runs better on his iPhone 5 than his iPad Mini with no other information.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

JFYI 2K has us completely blackballed. We didn't get an early copy of the game aside from what was available in New Zealand, and their marketing people don't email us. XCOM is just a great game. These nitpicks about the port are weird.

7. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Wow, really? That sounds slightly counter-productive from a marketing standpoint. I mean, I'm sure they have their reasons, but... odd.

8. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks for the port report ;)

So I guess, I should be pleased with the performance on iPad 2, too as the specs are similar?

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

They didn't like that we broke the Borderlands embargo, so, the reason TA has so much coverage now while everyone else is twiddling their thumbs is because we don't have any restrictions and can just buy the game from New Zealand. It works out. :)

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Seems find on my iPad mini, so I'd assume so. Might not be a bad idea to wait for proper iPad 2 trip reports from people though if you're really worried about it.

11. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

Well known games that got many awards like this one don't need much marketing , just look at KOTOR which appeared at App Store out of nowhere and was instant hit.
    What matters is being featured by Apple what they will be and that is most efficient marketing to boost their sales.

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

They might have remembered that Borderlands Legends desaster.

13. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    LOL!!I suddenly remember their infamous email to TA..:D

14. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Worried

How does this run on ipad 3. I think this is the first game I've seen that recommends running it on an ipad 4. Should I get it now or wait until I upgrade to a new ipad? $20 is a lot to pay if the game does run very well.

15. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Definitely. No offense to any game review site out there, but the forums are where I get the feedback I need to make game purchasing decisions. Sites are great though for getting some info up front before a game releases. I have nothing against TA (hope that's not what it sounded like) or any gaming website.

Eek!

Trying to do the timezone math, if I'm wrong please correct...

So, the game came out at 6am EST and the review was posted at 10:38am EST... given time to download the game and write the review and the tutorial seeming to take around 30min (judging off of Sanuku's video)... so maybe 30min of actual non-tutorial gameplay was used to determine the game is a perfect 5/5 with no issues? Ok, granted it is a port... but still, it makes it hard to take the review seriously.

16. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Look for the video that compares the ipad 3 with the ps3 version in the game that I put in this thread. That should answer your question!

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

It was on my iPad by about 5:15, and Brad and I both blew through significant portions of the game. With these kind of titles, the review is more on the quality of the port than anything else. *shrug*

The game is rocking a 90% on Metacritic, the port is great. I don't need to do a 100 hour playthrough to strongly recommend it.

18. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    So it should be alright on touch 5?

19. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Ouch!

20. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Yes of course it worth it. At no point I was saying otherwise. The Core Gameplay wasn`t touched at all and is still as great as in the PC Build but if someone would ask me:

Is XCOM®: Enemy Unknown (iOS) = XCOM®: Enemy Unknown(PC,PS3,XBOX360)?!

My Answer would be:

No, since you are getting a trimmed down XCOM®: Enemy Unknown that does run on your Mobile Device that doesn`t have...

• HQ Textures!
    • HQ Sound Files!
    • Is Missing Missions & Videos!
    • Missing the Multiplayer Part!
    • Missing the Extra Content that People that did Preorder the Game did got for Free!
    • Having Frame - Rate Issues on every iDevice currently on the Market.

To sum it up:

The difference between the Crap on Rev3 and here on the Forum is that you are getting here the awful truth and it piss me of that Adam is just standing there and nodding his head while someone other is freaking lying while standing right next to him.