Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    It's made by 2K games too, right?

2. djiwai

djiwai Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    everybody calm down. that "ad" is not an ad. it's a popup, describing the advantages of connecting to their social service "my2K" and it says that you can unlock some Xcom heroes or something.

3. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Good thing I still didn't install latest update, I'm allergic to any kind of pop-up and banner advertising in games.

4. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Anyone can tell me how does it run on iPad Air or Mini Retina? Is it smooth?

5. Pheebers

Pheebers Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Completely smooth on my iPad Air. Love it.

6. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Aha guys settle down civ is also made by 2k. Great game as well...

7. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Yes but the ads are obtrusive though. Hope they just put them below

8. PureRumble

PureRumble Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Hey guys.

Since the latest updates, I was wondering if you still could see where the enemy is hiding by placing the cursor on those tiles and see if it changes color.

This has been a common exploit in the game, and it is so game breaking that it made me to stop playing multiplayer. If there is an area that is outside of your units line of sight and you are wondering if the enemy is hiding there, then you can find out by scanning the tiles of that area with the cursor (you place the cursor on a tile by tapping on it). Now if the cursor changes color, then it means an enemy unit is hiding right there.

Regards, Arash

9. PureRumble

PureRumble Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Shameless bump goes here if I may.

Does anyone know of the above mentioned exploit in the current version of the game?

10. Professor jermiah

Professor jermiah Active Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Anyone know if there will be a port of the second xcom game to the ios platform? Answers will be appreciated:)

11. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    The gane crashes waaay to often on my iphone 5s whilst lookong terrible at the same time,They have completely turned off lightning and the textures are terrible.For a device with 1gb ddr3 ram there's no reason why they can't use console quality textures,xbox 360 has 512mb ddr3 ram and runs the game without any crashes with high quality textures.A good port just needs optimizations for the newer devices.

12. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    The 5S may have 1GB ram, but given it's a 64Bit device more Ram is used up for the OS. There is way less free than there was under iOS 6.(comparing on a iPhone 5, not 5S)

Also there is somewhat of a difference in app sizes. Do you want a game that's say 6-12GB on your iPad so it can look as good as the PC/Mac version, or whatever size it is on the Xbox. (I have both but not near my comp ATM to get the actual size)

13. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    I'm on a 5S and never did the game crash on me, even before on a 5

14. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Picked this up in the current sale and really do not regret it all, absolute quality game!

Playing on an iPad Air and no crashes so far, but it gets really hot!

Anyway, quick question. The bars in the Situation Room are going up. That's the panic level right? What should I do about those? Launch another satellite in those areas?

15. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Launching a satellite on those countries decreases panic. You can also do missions that take place in those countries to decrease those panic levels

16. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    My base is in Europe and I spotted a UFO in USA but said my Interceptors can't get out there?

Also I've just done my first Terror Mission and got totally owned. Came back with one live solider and another unconscious. The problem I have with this game and even with the old DOS version, is that I get extremely OCD about my soldiers dying. I don't mind losing some rookies, but when I lose a few Captains and Sergeants I want to replay. Before I know it I keep replaying and don't get anywhere. Is anyone the same? Do you have tips?

17. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Is the "Assult the base" the boss fight mission?

18. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    #1638 goodboyback, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    Even in that case lets's say th OS takes up 30% of the Ram,You would still have around 700mb Ram free on the device.It's more than that of either ps3 or Xbox 360 only much faster.You can look up my graphics thread it's clear from the benchmarks that even an iphone 5 beats is comfortably let alone 5s.64bit doesn't mean that more Ram will be used,I don't know where you got that from but that's not what 64bit means.Not only does it have more ram bit it's much faster than that of either ps3 or xbox 360,No excuses can be made here the texture quality is lower than that of the lowest setting on pc and the game crashes way too much almost every 10 minutes.

It's a good port control wise but one of the worst in terms of graphics and framerate had this been on my Vita it would have been thrashed badly by the critics similar to borderlands 2,It's a bad port straight and simple.

Okay it might not have console quality textures but it should have better lightning,shader effects and physics then it currently has they don't take any space up in a game they are rendered real time by the engine,It's a misconception that many have nowdays for some reason but better lightning,shader effects \= bigger file size.Textures,game objects and Sound files arw what take up space in a game shader effects are all done real time.

The 5s is capable of more than 5000 draw calls as evident,Which is on par with ps3/xbox 360 again.There's no reason for it to not have dynamics shadows,light sources or better physics than it currently has.

@Edmillan,Mine crashes every 15 minutes or so,Is you device jailbroken?It also runs at 10-12fps anytime something happens onscreen and stutters all the time.How does your 5s do?

It's like a Sims game lagging on a gtx titan,I can understand Crysis lagging on ultra but not Sims,it's unacceptable.

19. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Not yet

20. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Thank you!