Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Healthy like a horse - which is what she bought for her 40th last year without consulting me: my conscience is clear :D

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm probably going to have to delete KOTOR and I guess that means I'd have to start over once I put it back on, but I wasn't *that* far into it so I guess I can make the sacrifice. Plus by the time I get back to it I won't remember what I was supposed to be doing anyway... I have that problem in RPGs all the time.

3. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    The guy in this video seems to know the game very well. He's been playing the iOS version for over a week and he says that everything is in there apart from a couple of maps.

4. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    So guys,

What's the general consensus on this game. I know TA gave it 5 stars but for all the regulars on this site. What do you think?

I have no problem dropping 20 bucks on this game, but is it really worth it? I can see enjoying this on an iPad but I usually only play on my iPod 4G. The iPad is for my wife's work.

Thanks for the info

5. XvEsunavX

XvEsunavX Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    I was excited to see itouch4, then read dev comment. Then I read free for playstation plus. Happy again. Also saints row the third. Xcom is amazing. Glhf to everyone!

6. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I saw the pictures, watched the trailer, gameplay... And I can't help feeling this is over rated.

7. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Thanks for shedding some light over this..Thats the reason I brought it up,for us to know the facts..

8. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Kinda sad they have to say that :rolleyes:

9. jamarohn

jamarohn Active Member

May 18, 2012
    The in game footage on that video clip shows the iPhone 5 experience; it looks pretty good, just a tiny bit choppy framerate when the camera swoops around the map. The guy on the vid says that it's much smoother on his iPhone 5 than his mini. I think the mini is comparable to the iPad 2.

He didn't say it wasn't playable. It is a turn base game after all. But I think I'll be playing this on my phone more than my iPad 2.

10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    How does it run on the Mini?

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    True, but he also has a friendly relationship with the devs, works at Rev3 which is a gaming news channel, and was given a build over a week early... So it's entirely possible that his opinion is slightly bias.

Just something to take into account.

12. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Same could be said for TA since they have a review out and have surely had the game about the same amount of time. So are they bias as well?

13. JJE

JJE Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Artist
    Boston, Massachusetts
    I suspect the five star rating from TA is partly from the exuberance of having a AAA game of current vintage finally on iOS. Additionally it's at a price point aimed at core gamers. Again that's something we've sorely needed.
    I don't begrudge Xcom for missing maps nor for the odd cloud saving. Honestly I think that mostly comes from the generation of the hardware we're using.
    I also suspect this is going to be our most accurate port of PC to iOS ever, and there's my problem. The Xcom tactical system, while being widely praised initially, faded rapidly. Problems with actual game assets abound and multiplayer became somewhat of a running joke in the core community. I have no reason to expect this port will fare any better.
    In addition Xcom for iOS arrives amid a bounty of turn-based games, Warhamer and AcePatrol being two I'm still playing. Doing tactical correctly on iOS is becoming something of an art form. It's obvious I'll want to play Xcom at some point. $20 I suspect is reasonable, sales are even better. I'm just not anticipating five star gameplay when I do.
    OFAP

14. Smartbomb

Smartbomb Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Artist
    England
    Does the game structure differ from the 90s Enemy Unknown PC/PSone game?

I liked the open-ended structure and replay/longevity of the old games, does this new version have similar depth?

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I think I will hold out on buying tonight and wait until the morning and see what people with iPad 2's say about how it plays. I'm hoping the game is still good on one, but if not I guess I'll live and play this elsewhere.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Downloading, baby! My connection's so damn slow, it still says "Waiting..." under the icon despite the fact that there's a tiiiny blue bar in the App Store. :p

17. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #157 pjft, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    I'm slightly disappointed that I didn't see the Second Wave options at the start. Aren't they unlocked from the beginning in the PS3 version? Will they be added later on in an update?

18. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    This looks really cool , I remember the original Xcom. But I'm afraid of how this will run on a iPod touch 5? Then what to delete? Going to wait for impressions.

19. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Wondering the same.. Only device I have the space on b/c it's not an iPad so no KOTOR or BG:EE :p

20. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

They didn`t mentioned at a single Point that the Game has much lowered Textures, low Quality Sound Files that often sound as shitty as like some Soundfiles from the 80's, Framerate & Camera Issues.

Did Adam even played the Build once to recheck what that other Guy in front of the Camera did said?

Those Fanboy Reviews are as useful as when you piss against the Wind.