Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Since day 1 it stuttered on iPad 4 which was the most powerful iOS hardware at the time. Stop defending the developers if they don't deserve the merit of doing a good job (unless they pay you to do that).
    Yes, porting this to iOS was ambitious, but if you're gonna do it, do it right. If you release a game that the latest hardware can't play smoothly, something has gone wrong on the developer side, not on consumer or Apple.

Oh, and of course, no updates to solve them.

2. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Dear sweetheart, I said they could enable BETTER assets for better hardware. Like Oceanhorn running @60fps on iPad air. And like I said a few minutes ago, the iPad 4 was the most powerful device at that time and it stuttered already, and it never got better.
    From a high profile game with premium price you expect at least a nice support.

3. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Have you worked in business "sweetheart"? First the price of XCom had been cut and you expect the developer to provide additional support for a price reduced product?

You want support, you buy a suport plan for your software, usually called Software Assurance (SA). Those run into the thousands and are renewable annually. Even then, there is a limit to the number of bugs the developer will fix.

No SA plan guarantees the buyer additional features. Extra features are only added when you buy the next version of software.

Buying software does not make you an expert in software development or business development. It just means you are a consumer.

iPadWondersIfEveryoneKnowsHowTheSoftwareBusinessWorks...

4. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown (iOS) port! AAA!

I'm running the game on iPad 2 iOS 5.x.x....I won't deny that the game crashes from time to time, but I can tell you that it hardly EVER crashed on me on the battlefield. The only time it crashes on me is when you complete a mission (specifically during the CGI sequence of the ship flying back to XCOM HQ), and that happens maybe 2/10 of the time.

So overall, I really don't have anything to gripe about. Blame Apple (Cook) for allowing installation of the notorious iOS 7.x on older devices. IMO, it should only be allowed for the latest A7 chipset....but the iPad4's A6X seems to be fairing well with it also. The RAM is very important, and I just don't know why Apple is being so stingy with increasing it.

That being said, let it be known that this game is still VERY playable. This is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) ports to iOS to ever hit the AppStore. I played XCOM on PS3 and I was hella amazed to hear it coming to iPad--insta-buy!. The developers did a GREAT job in porting the game to iOS, period. I'm still amazed at how they were able to even pull this off with such a graphical intensive strategy game and still manage to have it run well on even the minimum devices---iPad 2 and iPad Mini (below iOS 7).

The RAM required is very important, especially for the older devices...that is why it crashes so much on iOS 7. I blame iOS 7 for taking up too much memory, and I'm glad that I'm still running the optimal firmware for my device---iOS 5.1.1. The framerate is not a big issue for me, as it is expected from such a huge game. Oceanhorn devs claim that the iPad Air can run Oceanhorn at 60fps....that's understandable for THAT game, but XCOM is folds larger and more graphically intensive than Oceanhorn will ever be. Also, the various destructible environments and locations must also be taken into consideration, things gotta load + there are so many things that can take place on the battlefield. Did you really 'oh so suddenly' expect the iPad Air to play XCOM: Enemy Unknown at a smooth 60fps? Even my PS3 couldn't run the game at such an insane framerate. You need a PC to do that.

If anything, give the developers time to adjust the game for iOS 7. Last thing I want is a watered down XCOM update JUST to address iOS 7 compatibility issues with older devices. I'd be as pissed as I was with the Megaman X iOS 'port'...watered down MS Paint graphics KNOWING that the original SNES graphics were much better quality.

If I had to choose between these two:

1. XCOM running at 15-20fps at FULL graphics
    2. XCOM running at 30-60fps with 1/3 FULL graphics

I'd choose #1. It's not a first-person shooter or adventure game, it's a strategy game that doesn't require precision timing to complete. Just my opinion.

5. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I've completed the game from start to finish on iPad 3, and yes there was the occasional stutter, maybe once or twice during a mission for a couple of seconds.

You want to bitch about that?

I've seen that happen in games on my PC gaming rig many, many times over the years. That's no big deal.

I find the complaints you and Sidgoku123 have absolutely ridiculous to be honest.

6. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #1566 Bytebrain, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    You're playing on what should have been an outdated device, only apple decided to continue to sell it, I guess for educational sales considerations.
    It's not up to date gaming wise, especially on iOS 7.

Still, if I only had an iPad 2 to play games on, I would still be grateful and happy that it's possible at all to play this game on my device!

I don't count the frames per second when I play, I just play.
    This isn't a first person shooter where that might have been important, it's a strategy game, and it isn't important at all in my opinion.

But, if you want to be able to play games that are top of the pop on your iPad, I would buy a new iPad, or just play games on a PC.

Use your iPad for surfing the web, and read your emails, because the iPad 2 is no longer the preferred device if you want to play memory and graphically demanding games.

Bear in mind, though, if you buy the new iPad air, in 3 years time, that too will be slow and sluggish running certain new games, and you'll have something to bitch about again, so maybe you'd better stay with gaming on your PC...

7. taskerMX

taskerMX Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Because apple force the Developers to support devices like the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4...

8. Dams

Dams Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Alright. I want to know if what I am experiencing is a bug or the normal mission.

I am at the last one and everything is black. No texture, no lights, nothing.

I just almost killed everything there in the dark but can't find missing enemies (yep no way to find where you are going outside using movement pathway).

Normal or bug ?

9. Dams

Dams Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    This !

Attached Files:

10. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    It's a bug that should have been fixed long time ago as 2K already got many complains about it.

11. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    This part was specifically for member ednan, my bad....I had thought that you agreed with him in that aspect; it's good to see that you don't. :)

12. Dams

Dams Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    So any trick to see something ?

13. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

What I am is not of your concern petit four. My point is just the game was not done well enough and never fixed. Check that guy's post with the black screen. I also had that in my old save.

14. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Anyone for more muliplayer? Anu advice on classic ironman? On my 6th go i think but i still get devastated

15. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Any tips for fighting against an agent with ghost armor? A had a couple of matches online and ghost armor really wipes out my entire team

16. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Yeah, the game is great but the crashes have kept me from really getting into it. I'm on an iPhone 5C on iOS 7, and the crashes really break immersion, although they usually don't occur during a battle (I can't recall ever, actually). Though they sometimes seem to set my saves back in time, when it crashes after I finish a mission.

17. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

Put your team in blind spots / corners and all on overwatch to cover each other.Doesn't work well if he has scout or knows position of your team obviosly, but I got opponent that way and he was using assault guy with ghost armor , rather annoying gun and run tactic.

18. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I'm at the last mission now, too. Very frustrating not being able to see anything to be able to finish it.

19. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Maybe Santa will sneak an update under the tree for us fixing that horrible bug on the last mission

20. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Hoping for a $0.99 sale on this one.