Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    The "bugs" you're most likely to have people mentioning here, is related to multiplayer - the single player campaign is mostly bugfree.

The only issue is the lack of memory on the iPad, which is apple's fault.
    The developers have streamlined the code as much as they could, but occasional crashes is unavoidable, I think.

Rebooting the iPad before playing is the best bet of avoiding this, and that goes for most memory hungry games for the iPad and iPhone.

You're seriously missing out if you're not buying this, but I'm guessing you must be a kid if you have an iPad, but don't have money to pay at the relatively cheap price this amazing game is available at.

2$ would be an insult to the developers for this game! and it really won't be their loss, but yours.

To clarify, there's nothing wrong with being a kid with no money, we've all been kids once, but if you are a kid relient on pocket money and paper routes, I would urge you to save up until you have the money to pay for this game.
    It's really that good.

2. sweetsedation

sweetsedation Member

Sep 7, 2012
    firstly, please dont buy this game. i would really like to deny you the experience of xcom on your iDevice.

i'd be curious to see how you price the upcoming game which you're involved in seeing as how you're putting a $2 price tag on xcom (which you accuse of being bug-ridden to the point that it's worth 10% of what its cost.)

on a side note, your past 2 games based on your profile,

1. ur ipad giveaway contests didnt even happen.
    2. twitter contest for gift cards didnt happen either.

3. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

(Sorry if I missed the answer) Some reviews state this game crashes on an iPad mini. Has that issue been fixed?

4. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Have seen this in the games store for the Xbox 360 for £15

How do the 360 and ios versions compare?

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    From what I've been told, the iOS has fewer maps (reportedly not something you would even notice under your first playthrough), less detailed facial animations and no mouth movement during dialogue, and simpler (but still stunning) graphics. No changes what so ever to mechanics or content beyond the removed maps.

6. sweetsedation

sweetsedation Member

Sep 7, 2012
    @ed

the weirdest thing happened. after playing my turn, killing off your sectoid and overwatching the rest(in anticipation for your stimmed assaults :(), apparently, none of that happened. ur sectoid didnt die and none of my stuff was on overwatch when u played.

7. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    And my turn prior to that, i loaded the game and when i got in, it automatically said connecting to server then finished as if i already played my turn. But all seems to be working smoothly now...i hope...

8. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    So they didn't enable any extra gfx effects for Ipad Air / Ipad Mini retina as of yet?

9. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

No, that's not Apple's fault. Good apps are unlikely to crash, and if the update makes the game crash, the developer had months and months to fix.
    As for the graphics, they could be much better, even on iPad 4, but underpowered devices like iPad 3 held it back.

10. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    That is a bold statement , I put a lot of hours into both singleplayer and multiplayer on iPad 4 and at current state there is no way they could update graphic for iPad 4 and make it playable at single time.
    Try to drop smoke grenade in police station with your soldiers and aliens stacked nearby or anywhere inside alien ships, FPS drops to 15.

Anyway, I'm done with ranting about broken leaderboard , I've started to even bore myself.I really like this game, it has been installed on my iPad from release date to now , I'll do myself a favour ,stop looking for bugs and get into multiplayer again and just enjoy it for what it is, a nearly flawless gameplay port experience.

11. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    The games you mentioned here as comparable is all natively written for iOS, so there's really no comparison at all.

This game is a port, ported by highly skilled professionals, so I'm sure they've did everything they could to optimise the game for iOS, suggesting otherwise is IMO a bit stupid.

12. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I played almost all day yesterday on my retina mini and never crashed, but that has much more memory than the old mini. It did drain my battery down all the way twice which was surprising. But more a testament to how long I played. :) It gave me time to break while I charged for a bit. (Wasn't up to 100% the second time.)

13. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

It's not bold, it sucks because the developer didn't put enough effort to optimize the experience. They've used the lowest common denominator which is the iPad 3, and it's playable enough to let it be.
    They took their sweet time to update with multiplayer. I don't see this being update to optimize the performance, which is a shame.

14. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Wait, you mean you want the developer to only target the latest iPad and nothing else?

You do realise that ironically you would be unable to play with your obsolete iPad 4 too, don't you?

15. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

The dev. must take care of that, not Apple.

16. jmasin

jmasin Active Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Architect
    Is there any way to increase sensibility? I find displacement annoying on my iPhone 5s since I need to scroll too much when zoomed out because it displaces very little each time.

17. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #1557 Bytebrain, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

Believing that developers in charge of porting a specific game, is incompetent just because you've played some other, completely unrelated games, made in a completely different engine, with multiple variations of demands on memory and CPU such as Artificial Intelligence, animations, lip syncing, weather effects and weapons/explosions effects etc. etc. is stupid.

No two games are made with the same requirements to meet the gameplay demands, so believing someone is incompetent without knowing firsthand what the challenges is, is bordering on insulting, frankly.

If it looks like a duck, quack like a duck and walk like a duck, it probably is a duck.
    No need accusing someone you have no knowledge of of incompetence, especially when they've been able to make a game like this run on a device that is pretty weak, comparatively to a PC and the XCOM 360.

18. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Again, it's absolutely no use comparing this game to MC4. The games have nothing at all in common, it's like comparing a keyboard with a guitar.
    They're both musical instruments, that's all.

What part of this game is broken??
    I've had no issues, aside from the occasional crash due to memory limitation on iOS devices.
    I've played this game on an iPad 2, iPad 3 and my new iPad air.

I've read over and over again in this thread and the official forums that the vast majority play this game on the original iPad Mini with no issues too, as long as they remember occasionally to release apps from memory and reboot once in a while.

Just because you can't live with a missing weather effect or similar, it doesn't make the game broken.

19. pkmvancouver

pkmvancouver Guest

#1559 pkmvancouver, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013
    It's a port of a game, which means the 12-15gigs of app & data had to be reduced to 3gigs. So yes some things had to be cut down but the core gameplay is there along with the second wave stuff. The fact alone that they got this game to fit in Apples max 2gig app size and work on iOS is amazing. If it was designed from the ground up it would most likely look and perform better. That being said I own a 1st gen ipad mini and I always close all apps and reboot my device before playing. I've played a solid 2-3 hours without any crashes. Also of note I have background app refresh disabled that may help but not sure.

A very good article to read http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/73141/Xcom%3A+Enemy+Unknown+iOS+Interview/
    and here http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/XCOM%3A+Enemy+Unknown/feature.asp?c=51715

20. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Well, i believe something is either
    A: wrong with your iPad or
    B: wrong with your perspective...

It runs fine on my iPad 2.
    Not as smooth as on my iPad 3 or iPad air, but that's to be expected with such an old device.
    I plan accordingly and reboot my iPad and exit all apps that may linger in the background.

But you've been told this multiple times in this and other threads, so I don't think you care.
    It sounds to me like you just like to complain..