Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Ahh, I should have clarified: I upgraded to iPad Air from an iPad 3, and the loading times was long on that.
    On the Air it's much, much faster. #

2. murph

murph Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    NYC
    pretty sure the movie is un-skippable on purpose to hide the game's loading time. the amount of time it takes for the skip button to appear varies by device.

3. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I know it's just releasing for PC and 360/PS3 but wondering if there's any talk of bringing Enemy Within over to iOS?

4. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    We actually pay good money to be game testers!! By the time a big release game is actually bug and crash free the whole experience has been diluted to an anti climax.

Yes we can wait for patches but most never seem to cure problems just improve them over time, too much time in some cases

5. dwerny

dwerny Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I'm enjoying this game, but man does the frame rate slow down whenever you are inside of a building. Even on an iPad 4, after a reboot, no other apps running.

To the devs: is this fixable, or are we literally up against what the ios hardware allows you to do?

6. chk1975

chk1975 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I already finished the game once on my ipad 2.
    Now replaying on a higher difficulty on my ipad air.
    Reached the final levrl, attack the temple ship only it is way to dark yo see anything this did not happen on my ipad 2, anybody else experience this? Is it a ipad air problem or a new bug from an update?

7. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Currently on a 5s on my nth replay but haven't reached that far yet (ironman mode lol). So far no problems on an A7

8. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    hows the framerate on the new stuff (air,5s,mini 2)?

9. ImLegend

ImLegend Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    #1469 ImLegend, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    HELP!!!! I'm a newbie on XCOM, many question in my current situation, need your advice
    [​IMG]
    Q1: find the first Alien Base Assult assignment, but don't have enough engineers to make the access key, if I leave the quest, will it expired or any bad thing will happen??

[​IMG]
    Q2: the countries are not happy!! Not enough money to build another satellite, if I need to give up countries, which one should I give up first? So can I still beat the game if countries left?

[​IMG]
    Q3: too many researches too little resources, which one should I go next?

THANK IN ADVANCE

10. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Q1: story missions don't expire, but you will find that enemies get better as time goes by. Be careful not to leave the mission unattended too much, and investigate as you advance to keep up with aliens.

Q2: countries = lives. Try to save the ones that give you more profit. After you successfully finish a big/story mission, panic will go down in all the countries.

Q3: it all depends on your strategy. I don't have an answer for this one.

Now my question: has performance on iPad 3 & iPhone 4s improved since the last update (1.40). I remember that 1.30 crashed terribly on the iphone 4s and quite a few times on the iPad 3 too

11. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Smoother and it loads a lot faster

12. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #1472 Ayjona, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    Game Impressions

As much praise as the iOS version of XCOM has hoarded (and yeah, I agree with just about nearly everything that has been written about it. It is almost into "I can't believe I'm playing this on a phone" hyperbolism territory), I'm surprised the camera and its controls hasn't gathered an almost equally big share of criticism. The non-adjustable slow scrolling speed is bothersome enough, but the fact that the camera zoom level resets whenever a soldier has finished her move (combined with zoom controls just as slow as the scrolling) is very surprising, and makes finding a comfortable angle and overview of the battlefield often not worth the effort. Had this been the result of natural hardware limitations, I might have been more understanding, but since everything else is admirably smooth on an iPhone 5S, I'm inclined to attribute the camera implementation to an oversight on the part of the developers.

13. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I hope they release the Slingshot & Elite Soldier packs, but most of all I'd like to see Enemy Within on iOS even if it were a separate app.

14. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Does XCom work without crashing on an iPad 2 now?

15. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    It always worked fine on iPad 2 (on firmware lower than 7.x). I'm not ruling out occasional crashes though. Even on 5.x (optimal firmware for A5 chip devices), the game will crash at least once in a while.

16. virag0

virag0 Active Member

Nov 1, 2012
    sysadmin
    Sydney, Australia
    battleship

Hi,
    I got me a battleship! I shot it down about three weeks ago, real time
    and have not been able to get through on normal mode. A battleship supplies
    some very useful tech, plus heaps of raw material. Any ideas on how to
    get through would help!

rachel

17. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    What is the total amount of free space I need to install XCom?

18. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    I Believe its around 5.5Gig

19. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Here's a couple of links to good strategy guides for XCOM:

8 tips for saving the world.

XCOM Guide

Read these guides, and you'll have a much easier time with this amazing game.

20. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    I hope to see Enemy Within as well. Would be awesome to play it on the go.