Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Same here, it shows a whopping 0 wins on GC

2. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    my losses on the other hand gets posted almost instantly hahaha. Good game pare ;)

3. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    About crashes: I was playing at work yesterday on ipad 3 ios 7.0.3 and it crashed every 10 minutes.

But when I plugged in the charger and played with it charging I played for a few hours with no crashes at all.

An anecdote is not data but has anyone else noticed this?

4. TanTan

TanTan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Question: Does this game completely destroy battery life and produce an insane amount of heat?

5. TanTan

TanTan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    ^^Running a 32g 5s

Also - how does one complete the second level? I can't figure out how to get on the roof.

6. themostunclean

themostunclean Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Yes, it gets pretty hot. I don't use a case so had to hold my phone with the tips of my fingers. Battery life is what you'd expect from a powerful game using Unreal. Don't start playing if you're away from a charger and down to 20%.

7. TanTan

TanTan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    That's unfortunate.

I'd trade fancy graphics for battery life and health any day.

8. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Read the cues, it says to take two fingers and swipe up, that changes levels and u are then able to move to the roof.

9. jmasin

jmasin Active Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Architect
    The campaign crashes less on iPad mini, which means the game is playable now, but the crashing issue remains. Although a hard reset is always recommended. What really grinds my gears is the connection related issues in multiplayer. Sometimes I have to try several times only to submit my turn. I love asynchronous multiplayer, better than the PC version, but I'm afraid I can't enjoy it properly, it's really frustrating.

10. TanTan

TanTan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Yes, I am able to 2 finger swipe up. My problem is I can only move to one space short of the yellow waypoint.

11. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I know I said this a few pages back bit quite torn on picking up the mobile version. I have the PC version that I grabbed cheaply (though my Mac struggles a bit with it, old 2009 MBP) and a friend recently gifted me a copy of the Xbox version.

However the appeal of having the mobile version and using touch controls is very strong. I tend to end up playing on my iPad more, ESP as it means I can play things sitting beside the missus while she watches something (and I can avoid the fan racket from my MBP). The downside is paying out another €9.

I also like the idea of buying it to support the sort of game I'd like to see on my iPad in the future.

So I kind of find myself in a quandary and not able to go in either direction: buy it or pass.

12. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Definitely buy it! If you care about premium and AAA title on the iOS then buy it:)

13. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    I like the addition of async multiplayer, but I really don't like the addition of constant crashing on the iPhone 4S. This game used to be very stable, but now I can only occasionally get it to run at all.

14. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    works very well for me even on 3g/LTE. Its dreamy that im playing xcom mp on the bus and imo its better than its console counterparts.

15. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Edmilan, that was one hell of a match, looking forward to future battles with you.

16. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Lol thanks, same here! Mind control grrr lol

17. wolfie9090

wolfie9090 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2013
    How is it on ipod 5?

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Are there new leaderboards for single player as well AND do you get any sort of score modifications based on Second Wave settings (like does the game give me some sort of scoring bonus when I intentionally take on some of the nastier Second Wave options?)?

19. scape211

scape211 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    I had a ton of crashes on the iPhone 4S too. Not sure if this has been said, but try this to see if it helps:

1 - log out of Game Center. You can do this in your settings and cancel logging in when the game starts up. This alone resolved most of my crash problems. The down side is that you don't get multiplayer until they fix it.

2 - close all other apps, hard shut down your device.

3 - turn off the tutorial setting.

Once you've done those, try starting and see if it helps. I downloaded my device directly from the store and have low memory. Those didn't effect my crashing, but the above stuff did. I found them on the 2K forums. Hopefully they help!

20. TanTan

TanTan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Does anyone know if they will implement a low graphics mode?