Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Crashes seem more often than before on ipad 2/Mini.The app store rating in the german store is down to just 2 1/2 stars (from 5) because a lot of people complain about instant crashes (no matter if iOS 6 or 7)right from the beginning...

2. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Yeah, it's about a 2 star rating in the US AppStore because of the crashes too. It's pretty unplayable on my iPad Mini even after a hard reset

3. kicker6820

kicker6820 New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Has anyone tried on a iphone 5s yet? I got the game on steam when I preorder bioshock but I don't play a lot on my PC anymore. I was thinking about picking this up but I am seeing all the crashes on iPad and I was wondering if the 5s was in the same boat.

4. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    No crashes on my Iphone5 so I assume there wont be any on your 5s

5. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Same here, unplayable on my iPad 2 after the update.

6. miumius

miumius Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Does this game look any better on the iPhone 5S than -- say -- and iPhone 4S?

7. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    MUCH better, it motivated me to finally upgrade my 4s.

8. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Just played through first mission on mini after update with the tutorial turned off and had no problems. Hopefully this will be the norm and not an anomaly.

9. marker1c

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    I have not touched the campaign after the update, I played mp mostly. Is mp crashing as well for ipad mini owners?

10. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    FWIW, I am on an iPad 2 with iOS 6 and I am having NO problems....yet.

I turned off the tutorial, auto save and soldier voices. I also have 2.5 gig of free space and I make sure not to have any other apps open in the background....as well as doing a quick reset before I play.

I will have to see how well it does as I progress further into the game and/or how well it does during multiplayer but its all good for now.

11. Karma32

Karma32 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Well the amount of free gigs you have doesn't do anything at all in making anything on your iPad run faster or better. You sticking with iOS6 is the reason its running ok most likely. Running this game on my iPad 2 with iOS7 is causing a lot of crash issues :( I'll have to try turning off tutorial maybe that will work

12. pouffie

pouffie Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Guys,

I have been reading all these crash reports and was really relunctant to buy this app. I took the plunge in the end and installed it on my ipad 2, which still runs on ios 5.1.1 (not jailbroken).

Surprisingly enough, I went through the tutorial and the first mission without a single crash.
    It is either because I am using an old version of ios, or because I closed all my apps and made a hard reset before playing the game.

In any case, it works for me. Hope this information might be of use to some of you guys.
    Cheers

13. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Yes, I'm also running iOS 6, and I've only had a few crashes, without even turning of any settings (iPad mini) the multiplayer can be a bit weird at times, but it works very well for the most part. I'm also playing some of the campaign and having even more fun than the last time I played. With all the content, this game was well worth the price tag. I'm up for mp if anyone is interested.

14. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I had major issues with touch 5th gen iOS 7 but a hard reboot seems to have solved the problem. Fingers crossed anyway..... I couldn't even finish the tutorial until I restarted, but I've played another 3 missions without any more crashes

15. miumius

miumius Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Yay okay I ordered mine online a qhile ago but since it's gold it'll probably be a while.

16. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    no, it is a memory related issue I would almost guarantee. the reason why it might occur more often on iOS 7 than iOS 6 is iOS 7 uses more RAM, at least that's what I've heard.. iPad 2 and mini both have 256mb of RAM, compared to 1GB or more on recent devices. you will be fine.

17. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Surprisingly few reports on how the async multiplayer is. Does it work well?

18. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Yep it works really well

19. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    They have 512 not 256.

20. marker1c

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    For some reason my public ranked games' victories are not being recorded at the leaderboards :(