Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Ahhh now you tell me! Jk, thanks for the info. I'll get it back as soon as possible then!

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm new to this incarnation of the game as well (played the original PC series way back in the day), but I see from this game's very design, you can't be Superman. Every terror mission you take, while you might make one country happy, you'll be pissing off two.

In the original 90's PC game you could eventually have multiple bases with multiple away teams so, theoretically, you could hit all places even simultaneously if need be (you'd only play out one mission at a time but, as far as the global game time was concerned, they could both be being resolved at the same time). I see here, in the modern remake, by forcing one crew they both streamline things as well as make the choices tougher. It becomes as much a game of, "Who will give me the most useful reward for mission completion" as, "Who can I no longer afford to piss off". ;)

3. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #1243 Cilo, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    Problem is you're probably focusing on mission rewards rather than where they are located. If your base is in North America, you'll get a lower panic level there from the start. Now let's say the next mission is located in Brazil, China, or France, if you choose Brazil then panic levels in Asia and Europe will go up and panic level in South America will go down. It's not a complex system, and it's explained thoroughly in the tutorial.

The only time it makes sense to ignore mission locations is in the beginning month and engineers are offered as a reward. The more engineers you have the quicker you can launch satellites, which will reduce panic anyway. However this is all reliant again on where you started. It's easier for me to branch out and blanket North America first with satellites then move down into South America, than it is to have one in North America and a couple over in Asia. Focus on satellites near your base first, and hitting missions on locations not covered by your satellites and you'll notice a difference.

Also strategically plan your satellite launches. If I know my next launch is going to be Mexico because of the continent bonus, I'm not going to worry about the panic level there, I might as well reduce a panic level in a country I know I won't be launching to any time soon such as Japan, because my level 4 Mexico panic level will drop to pretty much nothing once my satellite is up at the end of the month.

4. bobbys

bobbys Member

Feb 27, 2010
    "Moving" savefile to/from iCloud?

So I have a game I started on my iPad Mini that I would like to continue on my iPhone 5 (and back again).

I fire up the game on the phone, and I cannot find the same savefile.

I go back to the Mini, and I notice that the save file in question does not have "iCloud" in its name. Hmm.

The problem seems to be that I cannot move the savefile from the "local" slot to the "iCloud" slot. I launched the savegame file in question on the Mini and then tried to save the file, hopefully in the "correct" slot.

One file DOES sync back and forth as expected: "8/4/2013 - 9:44 - iCloud: Game 1 - Geoscape - 4:19 am March 15 2015. (Note the "iCloud" in the name).

This one (the one I'd like to sync) shows up on the Mini: "8/5/2013 - 19:33 - Game 1 - Geoscape - 8:24 am March 21 2015." (Note no "iCloud" in the name).

Both are in the same "Profile".

Can anyone explain to me what I'm doing wrong? How do I ensure it saves to iCloud?

Thanks!

5. carlisimo

carlisimo Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    LordGek, in this game I find that it doesn't really matter. By the time you could afford multiple bases, you have enough satellite coverage to eliminate that aspect of the game. It's much more straightforward after that.

(And I assume you mean abduction missions. Terror missions are only in one place, and panic doesn't rise in other countries - though if you fail a terror mission, you'll probably lose the country it was in.)

6. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yes, sorry, mixing up mission types.

Somebody savy over on another forum just noticed new achievements placeholders being added to Steam for the PC version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown. More evidence that the recently sighted "XCOM: Enemy Within" is likely some DLC/Expansion to the original and might make it over to iOS soon afterwards.

A cynical part of me is concerned it might just be a quick half-assed attempt as sort of a prequel to the main game to setup for their upcoming FPS, XCOM: The Bureau...but I hope not.

7. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    "Soon" is a relative term, 2 others DLCs still aren't avaliable for iOS .
    For Enemy Within, there have been several speculations at multiple forums, as you say it will most likely be DLC for Enemy Unknown, hopefully with new enemies, research options, weapons and many new maps ( how I wish for underwater and space maps ).Only problem will be install size with current huge app for iOS standards becoming even bigger.
    Again, we can go even further with speculations and say that 2K worked simultaneously on DLC port for iOS and that it will be launched simultaneously with other versions ( we can at least hope right ? ).
    Anway, 2K is bound to spill beans and give more info any day now about Enemy Within , so we just have to wait and hope iOS is tied to their plans.

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It might be delusional, but I have to figure getting the main game onto the iOS platform is the biggest step with just adding a map, weapon, or skill to the base game being just a relatively minor tweak.

9. mac00l

mac00l Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Does anyone feel like the update has improved battery life of their device???

I've been playing for 2 hours on my iPad mini, and only lost about 18% battery.

10. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    People who are complaining that the update is too big and they have to delete or something - why not just save to iCloud, delete and then re-download. You still need a load of space but at least you're clearing out the 3.2GB the game already has installed. You only need like another 1.5 GB free then to install it. It's what I do for all big games that need updating that support iCloud, like Vice City, and it worked for me with this update

11. revolverblue85

revolverblue85 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Thankfully after my initial crash problem with a hard reset fix and the update haven't had any crashes or lag on my mini

12. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Any word on multiplayer?

13. jamesmcadams82

jamesmcadams82 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Plenty to say it will be added, none to say when (that I'm aware of).

14. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Can't wait. This game is 10x better than any game on my vita and 3ds

15. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Will this work? My impression was that you would need 6.4gb to install directly to phone/pad?

16. jknut

jknut New Member

Dec 30, 2012
    I download large apps to iTunes first on my PC and then sync with the iPad/iPhone. It doesn't require as much space on the device that way.

17. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Ditto, and honestly,I don't know why more people don't do this. Its nice to have everything you purchased available to download to your device whenever you want, but I personally still like to have my own backup and hard drive of purchases and content, just in case on that rare occurrence that something decides to disappear from the store entirely, which has happened on more than one occasion for me. Plus, its just nice to not need as much space to sync and add apps, especially when you have big games like this!

18. yaboyrasp

yaboyrasp Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Can't speak for everyone else but the computer I'm currently using wont allow me to hook up my ipad to iTunes so I have no choice but to dl straight to my device

19. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Because my laptop decided to eat itself, and until I stump up another £500 for a new one (and work out how the hell to try and salvage my old iTunes account from the hard drive) I am pretty much stuck downloading via wifi directly to iPad/iPhone.

20. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    No you only need about 3.5 - 4 GB and a hard reset. Once it installs and is uncompressed it becomes the 3.3 GB monster. Just make sure it's definitely saved in the slot that says iCloud underneath. To double check you can look in Settings - iCloud - Storage and Backup - Manage Storage and it should be there as well