Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Only a few missions in and really enjoying it, but man can it be frustrating. How often should I expect to loose a soldier? If I lose one ive been re-loading which I feel ashamed to say. I would assume in later missions its just going to be a fact of life that missions are going to not go perfect, right?

2. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Replay it on Classic with iron man mode and enjoy the suspense of sending your best soldiers with chances of permadeath. No other game, not call of duty or even The Last of Us, made me feel as emotionally invested as Xcom baby.

3. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    The frame rate drops if any doesn't affect the gameplay a tiny bit... This isn't a fps game.

4. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    They increased the price back to the original lol!!! Who bought it at the discounted price?

5. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    That's how sales work, yes. :p

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Post of the day, right here.

7. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Missions get harder yes, but with the right research and advancement in equipment, they're a bit more manageable.
    +1 for ironman mode, been playing it in this mode ever since i finished classic noniron man. Already lost 4x and am on my 5th try, still reeeaaally great!

8. stlredbird

May 21, 2009
    Does anyone know if the name change "cheat" from 360 work on here? And if so does it disable achievements?

9. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Yes and yes

10. stlredbird

May 21, 2009
    Thx! Don't want to miss achievements but maybe for another play through.

11. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Crash report: game still crashes sometimes on iPad3 independently from the language the iPad is set to. I stopped using icloud slot because my iPad is WiFi only but it didn't help. The only thing that helps reducing crashes is to disable soldier voices, and it will still crash eventually. Not too often, but they're still there...

12. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Half the resolution of an iPad 4.Could be the reason why it's running smoother.

13. carlisimo

carlisimo Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    I beat the game on Classic (prior to the update) and it unlocked the easy and normal Second Wave options.

Most of my crashes are when I launch missions or get back to base. I get very few crashes during missions (language set to English, voices on).

14. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Is a skirmish vs AI mode part of the upcoming MP update?

15. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    My crashes are generally when I get back to base, launch missions and sometimes (not many) after I make the first or second move in a mission (language set to Spanish, voices off). When I had voices on, crashes were generally at the same moment, but it sometimes crashed in the middle of missions and they were more frequent.

What happened to me once or twice after the update was that after loading a game, my soldiers appeared as if they were flying 2-3 levels over the floor. As soon as I made the first move, the soldier moved went to ground level.

I also had a crash repeat where I made some moves to block a Psi alien to try and capture it alive (inside a UFO crash mission). It was as if he wanted to move but since he was blocked by 4 of my soldiers against a corner he couldn't and that made the game crash. I was able to reproduce the crash over and over if I repeated the moves with my soldiers (saved just before), but as soon as I made a different move so that the alien was free to move around, it didn't crash and was able to capture him with the arc thrower :p.

16. stlredbird

May 21, 2009
    What the heck! So I've never played XCOM before and am not a big strategy game guy so I selected Easy for my first play through. I've probably only gone on 5-6 missions including tutorial and already there are 4 countries one spot away from being totally panicked! Is that normal? I just now started building my sat uplink (second one I guess since you start with one) and that was at the first chance I got. Am I screwed?

17. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Nope, not yet. I finished my first playthrough with 4 countries leaving me on the 2nd month and a total of 7 countries left when i finished. You need to have 8 countries leave before you lose

18. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Well, as sad as I am, I had to delete Xcom (I still haven't on another device though :D) because the update required to much space... I'll get it back soon though!

19. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    That's part of the thrill imo ;-)

Never played xcom before (but a lot of other strategy games)and i lost 5 countries (on normal)after 3 months and 4-5 other countries had a"red alert"status just one day before the next council meeting...luckily the next (story)mission reduced the worldwide panic by 2.From then on things started to run better and i'm on the final mission now^^

Happened to me before the update as well.

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    As somebody else mentioned here I think, if you do it via a sync with your iTunes on your computer, it requires a lot less "staging space".