Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    oh,thanks again btw.Your tip with the soldier voices was golden ;)

2. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Other two DLCs are both cosmetic oriented - Elite soldier pack ( this one I wished they included with this game release as a small sign of appreciation for us having to pay full price for downsized port, not that I mind much anyway, release price was 5 dollars ).Other one is Slingshot with release price of 7 dollars.

3. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    Downsized port... :|
    Why did you take ir anyway?
    For bubbling about a dawnsized port?

4. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Hearing the dev say how stoked he was with Xcoms reception on ios makes me cool with the price drop. I played my part. If we see more big releases with premium price tags ill be giving some slow approving nods to my fellow early adopters
    :)

5. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Fantastic to hear it worked for you too :) I've read in the changes that they've set the option to "skip the videos". You could skip the videos previously, but if you clicked too quickly on the screen, there were more chances of the game to crash. I guess it was because you tried to begin the game before everything was loaded onto memory. Now I believe they set a button to skip the videos after everything is loaded onto memory :p

Btw, anyone knows if I can update over 3g (partial update of less than 50MB size overall) or if I need to grab the full 1.85GB through WiFi/PC? Thanks

6. djiwai

djiwai Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    I just updated and it's a real blast. I was having crashes with my iphone 5 due to those memory leaks that plagued the "older devices" they speak about on the update description. before update, there was 90% chances of crash when returning from a mission and even crashes when loading the last mission; now so far, not a single crash even with soldier voices and lots of things to load I guess like equipment/number of soldiers and enemies/whatever else. with a few candies left at the bottom of the bag, like more responsive touch controls, another level of zoom, menus adjustements, second wave options, this IS the update I was waiting for ! now waiting for soldiers armors customization, this HAS to come with the multiplayer update, otherwise it will be a little tasteless :(

7. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Dis you update directly through the device, or did you do a full update through iTunes?

8. djiwai

djiwai Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    I updated through iTunes.

on another subject, I just noticed that there's now a video instead of an in-game cutscene in the tutorial map, when your soldiers approches the in-the-dark german soldier, so now there is shadows and he is really hidden ! that was a little awkward, before that. plus, given its a video from the pc version there lipsync of course. in fact there's a couple of scenes in that tutorial map that could have used the same treatment shadows+lipsync.

9. murph

murph Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    NYC
    it doesn't, but the nature of the iTunes store is "everything goes on sale eventually". so it's a matter of how long you can wait to buy the game vs how much you can save. i just thought they would stick to the $20 price a little longer. $20 was a bold move but a sale 1 1/2 months later undermines it a little.

plus i already paid $60 for the xbox version and $30 for the PC version. i gotta save some money for the new un-announced XCOM: Enemy Within :)

10. murph

murph Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    NYC
    i think it's a full update which really sucks. you need 2-3GB free on your device to update which is tough when the game is already installed and taking up 3.2GB. and don't delete the game unless you want to lose any non-iCloud (Ironman) game saves :(

fortunately i was only 3-4 missions into the game and wanted to restart with Second Wave options anyways :)

11. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Are you rich? :)

12. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    It's about supporting the devs, and not being rich

13. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Yes, it's a full update and not a Delta update. Saw it in the comments of the TA news :( The only option I have left is to go to a cafeteria (no WiFi where I am) save to iCloud (haven't played ironman mode luckily), delete the game so that I have 5GB free space and reinstall it... Will think about it, because I'll have to be 2h at the cafeteria :p

14. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    You need to clear around 4.5 GB of space or use iTunes on your PC to get the patch.
    I had to delete a bunch of stuff to get the update.

15. Infinitylegend

Infinitylegend Active Member

Jul 18, 2013
  16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Gosh dangit, with Second Wave stuff now in place I'll likely HAVE to cave in and get the iOS version. :cool:

17. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    You need to get it so I can slap you around when multiplayer finally arrives!
    (Speaking of, we need to play some Ace Patrol and Civ Rev matches!)

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    At this point it is just this score thing (I need my best runs recorded locally if not on GC) and, a bigger deal, figuring out what games I'll clear to make some 5 Gb free that is still holding me back.

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Seriously wishing this could have been a delta update. I can't count how many times I've had to restart the damn update over the last 12 hours. :/

20. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Finally updated at the cafeteria. PC's at home, I'm on wifi-less holidays atm :p I already had 2GB free, so it was easy: delete and reinstall. Since the game occupies 3.2GB (3.3GB after update) and it uses iCloud, I didn't have a problem... Aside from having to eat 2-3 ice creams while it updated :D now to finish my second game (nearly done) and to enjoy a 2nd wave ;)