Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Power Gamer

Power Gamer Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    I'm still waiting for shadows and better lighting. Now that I've read about bugs not being fixed in time, there's no need to hurry. Maybe it will go free for a day very soon.

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

#1142 andsoitgoes, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    Update is out!

• Second Wave: new options designed to appeal to players looking for a new and different challenge
    • Improved touch controls
    • Skip videos
    • Improved memory usage on low end devices
    • Added save data protection for ironman mode
    • Additional panic level information available during Abduction Encounters
    • Minor bug fixes

3. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    ...and now to do the backup, update, install juggle on PC iTunes because there is no way I have enough space to download the update straight to my device, hehe!

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    When someone gets into it, I'd like to hear more about this "second wave" business.

5. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Oh wow. Awesome...

6. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    #1146 Bool Zero, Aug 2, 2013
    Pretty simple as you can just look it up if you are unaware of what it is, but I copy/pasted this from the wikia page as it explains it better than I could:

Second Wave enables players to unlock gameplay modifiers that add more challenge and replayability to XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Players will have to start a new game to access these options.
    The Second Wave content is considered DLC[1] but is added upon installing the 3rd patch[2].

The following Second Wave features become available by default:

Damage Roulette: Weapons have a wider range of damage.
    New Economy: Randomized council member funding.
    Not Created Equally: Rookies will have random starting stats.
    Hidden Potential: As a soldier is promoted, stats increase randomly.
    If the player has finished the game on Normal Mode, these four additional Second Wave features will be Unlocked:
    Red Fog: Combat wounds will degrade the soldier’s mission stats.
    Absolutely Critical: A flanking shot guarantees a critical hit.
    The Greater Good: Psionics can only be learned from interrogating a psionic alien.
    Marathon: The game takes considerably longer to complete. (Choosing this option will increase the length of research and constructing time.)

If the player has finished the game on Classic Mode, these four additional Second Wave features will be unlocked:
    Results Driven: A country offers less funding as its panic level increases.
    High Stakes: Random rewards for stopping alien abductions.
    Diminishing Returns: Increased cost of satellite construction.
    More Than Human: The psionic gift is extremely rare.

If the player has finished the game on Impossible Mode, these four additional Second Wave features will be unlocked:
    War Weariness: Council funding goes down over time.
    E-115: Elerium degrades over time.
    Total Loss: Lose all soldier gear upon death.
    Alternate Sources: The power source cost to build facilities increases dramatically.

The short version: your Xcom just became much more replayable!

7. revolverblue85

revolverblue85 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Been waiting to buy. Was hesitant on buying due to the crashing since I game on my mini. Saw the update, downloaded. Crashes everytime on the first mission as soon as the video starts once we get into the building. Yay.

8. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Works fine for me. Best iOS gaming experience available. I've actually played it, so I know what I'm talking about ;)

9. revolverblue85

revolverblue85 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Hard reset fixed and having a blast

10. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    I was just going to suggest that to you after reading your post!

11. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    By Appstore standards the game hasn't been out that long, and considering its size one cant rightly complain about the length of time it has taken to update it with bug fixes. The game was more than playable pre-patch... Its not like it crashed every five minutes before (and in my experience it never crashed) so I don't know what you are basing this assumption on as even the people who posted reports of crashes here are quick to note that they are not frequent. I've bought apps that have been far more unstable than this game and have went far longer without a update to bug fixes, and besides, your argument is kinda moot as the update you are complaining about having to wait for just landed! Irony!

12. wolfgirl

wolfgirl Member

Feb 27, 2013
    singapore
    #1152 wolfgirl, Aug 2, 2013
    hehehehe updates!!!!! lol at the people complaining I just started yesterday with an iPad Mini, for like more than 6 hrs straight o.o but only crashed once and it wasn't frustrating it was understandable, not in the middle of a battle kind of crash. and today there're updates yay!

so, the game's as solid as ice okay?! pfft #

*btw I did a hard reset after the install and played with no apps opened and cleared 10 GBs beforehand so it was okay for me*

13. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    I must admit, those are all compelling arguments! :p

14. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    UDATE IS LIVE!!!Second wave dlc included!!Huzzah!!:D

15. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    omg omg!!!! downloading the update

16. denisvjcr

denisvjcr Active Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Wish this update let me change soldier's armor like pc version. :(

17. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I've had this since it came out and it has never crashed ONCE on my mini, makd sure your apps are closed out

18. yaboyrasp

yaboyrasp Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Obviously there's crashing problems based on the reviews on iTunes and the comments in this forum. Guess they must be making it up.

19. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    #1159 Crabman, Aug 2, 2013
    Jeez,why are people thinking like this?What makes this game less worth then 20 bucks for you just because it's on sale now?

As i wrote one side before,i bought it a couple of days after the release but started to play just one week ago.What should i say now?I say it's worth every damn penny of the initial price.Even if they dropped the price to 5 i would not regret it.And I'm glad that i'm one of those to show the publisher it's worth to port premium games for a premium price to iOS.And without iAP crap.End of story.

Great,second wave arrived.And they fixed the crashes on older devices.But what about my device??The tip with switching of the voices definitely helped a lot but i would be really pissed if i switch them on again and still have this crash orgy...(yes,all apps closed,Wlan off,Ram cleared,no JB,,restart...etc.)

Btw,i would pay for iAP in this game:more customization options (helmet,i want a helmet)and more map variations.

20. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I'll grab the update ASAP, but I guess if they say they improved memory usage on low end devices, they improved memory usage in general, so devices with less RAM should get the game more stable now.