Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. DanTheAzn

DanTheAzn Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Can anyone tell me if this will ever get iphone 4 support? I really want to buy this game but I only have the 4 not 4s.

2. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    iPhone 5 here! Plays great but eats battery fast. It might be ok for you because I play with auto brightness off. Some of the missions/maps are at night so, I make it bright as possible!

3. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I also play on the iPhone 5 and it runs fine with no crashes, however it drains battery really fast. I've even cleared the multitask tray and put myself in airplane mode to make a slight bump in battery life, but still not that great.

4. Kirs

Kirs Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Favourite armor...almost game breaking, on lower difficulties. My Assault Shotgunner strike force wth Ghost Armor and Rapid Fire 1shots most enemies from stealth, especially if you flank them from the side/rear.

5. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I want xcom declassified on iOS!!!!! Come on firaxis

6. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    That's a shooter right??Was it a dlc or stand alone??

7. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Any word from the devs re multiplayer? Do they actually read/know about this thread?

8. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Yeah fps only on pc and console zzz

9. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    That game hasn't even been released yet, and it's not made by Firaxis lol

10. juan13

juan13 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Any news for the bug-fixes update?

11. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Hi, I bought this on the PC recently and am really enjoying it. I think I'd play it more if it was on the iPad so I was hoping someone could answer a few questions. I'm sure they've been answered elsewhere on the thread but at 109 pages I'm just not that patient!

Is this a full port of the PC game minus the DLC?
    Does it work well on the iPad2?
    I see a lot of people have been having trouble with crashes and bugs, have any of these been fixed yet?

Thank you :)

12. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #1112 Bool Zero, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    1. For the most part yes... It is said to be missing two maps from the random pool due to space constraints and restrictions of app size due to Apple app standards, but for the most part this is a port. The app does make concessions in the way of some textures, the number of enemies per map (I felt like they parred down the enemy count a little compared to the PC/console playthrough which seemed to have a couple more enemies per encounter), and the lighting has been trimmed as to make them work more more stabile on mobile devices. With all that said, this is a otherwise faithful port and the few concessions made to get this to run on idevices seem negligible as the game is otherwise the Xcom you have played on PC... And how awesome is it to have such a great game on the go?

A side note: If you back up your apps to PC or use iTunes from your PC at all I would highly recommend that you download the game through iTunes on the computer and then connect your device and sync and install that way otherwise you are going to need at least 5GBs to download and install the game vice the 3.2GBs of installed app size. Installing from PC eliminates the need for the compressed app size space on the device needed as it is uncompressed on the PC and syncing only requires the installed app size on the device.

2. It does work on iPad 2 but it seems experience may vary. The key to getting stable performance is to close all apps out after installing and doing a cold restart/reboot on your device (holding the power and home button for like 5 seconds or more). Also make sure that you have a fair amount of space available after installing, as it seems that those with less available device space (500MB or less) have more issues of crashing, so having a good GB free after install at the very least will lead to less instability issues. The stability issue is in the works to be fixed and keep in mind that so e folks don't experience any crashes while some do, so most of this is just conjecture.

Note: the game is still very playable on iPad 2 despite the crash reports. Don't expect the game to crash on you every 5 minutes, but some have reported crashing intermittently through extended play sessions, and again, some didn't encounter any, so experience may vary.

3. No fix has been made yet but the developers have noted and addressed they are aware and will be fixing the issues... Like all things it is just a matter of waiting!

13. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013

Thank you! I think I'll go with it and hope for later fixes if I have any problems, though I'm going to have to clear a great deal off the iPad to even get it on let alone the extra space. As for less enemies per encounter, I like the sound of that as I'm a complete novice at this type of game ;)

14. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Reread my post... I made some edits to it that might be useful info!

15. carlisimo

carlisimo Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    On the iPad2 you can also expect long loading times. When you start the game you’ll have to watch most of the intro video every time… you can only skip it once the loading circle (visible at the bottom) has stopped. Because of the instability I would recommend against ironman mode. I’ve never had a save corrupted, but I’ve had plenty of crashes. Be patient!

I think it’s also missing a couple of videos, like the ones after autopsies. Not bad, considering the hardware we're talking about.

16. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Well I have to admit when I've been wrong. I was highly critical of this game at release due to the price point ( I was afraid of a trend). I have since gotten the game for XBOX, and I liked it so much I took the plunge and bought it for my iPhone. The game is amazing! It is my new third favorite ( behind NBA 2K13 and Pinball Arcade). Apologies for my earlier criticism, I was sooooo wrong!

17. Alister

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Well spread the word around and master the game..When the multiplayer gets out,the game is gona be ON!!;)

18. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    I bought it a couple of days after release but i just started a few days ago.I can say this is by far my favorite iOS game now.Although i'm such a noob in xcom.I never played one before and lost a lot of countries.And just ONE day before another council meeting (and i had a couple of more countries with red alert)i won a mission in an alien base that reduced the worldwide alert by 2.It was SO damn close...i love it :) i just played this mission cause i wanted to play with my favorite soldiers one more time,lol.

BUT:this game is crashing so often on my iPad 4,it's annoying as hell.Yes,all other apps closed,WLAN off,Ram cleared,no jailbreak and still 10 GB free memory.

PLEASE.PATCH.THIS.

19. Alister

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    #1119 Alister, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
    ^^^^Yeah,I think that's why there's an auto save function for you to just jump in and start off from when the game crashed...Pretty much redeemed it.

As for the combat segment of this game,its not that challenging for me since I've been playing turn based games for quite awhile now...From table top games to ff :tactics and so on and so forth...In my opinion the more simplistic or rather accessible nature of the mechanics are key features that made the game so popular...It's more relatable to the current gaming scene which is the brilliance of its design..What's really interesting is its characteristic that ties in with the subtitle:enemy unknown..The surprise factor you get from going around an unexplored map and the randomness of the positions of your enemies gives it the element of suspense...As al pacino would say "it's a game of inches"..

As for the bunker resource management segment..I find myself lucky to have guessed the right sequences of things to do..Maybe it has something to do with reading between the lines of what the game designer is trying to tell you..Though its quite far from being a perfect execution or rather I know I could do a whole lot better...As I look back at it,the key decisions are quite important to the grand scheme of it all..If I took the wrong steps it could have been a disaster...Makes the decision process such a rewarding experience...

All in all,what an amazing game...

20. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    If you deactivate soldier voices in the options menu, it will crash less frequently. It's not a nice solution, but it works until we get an update. At least it does for me on an iPad 3.