Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    #1061 Edmilan, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    Finally beat the game on classic mode, non iron man! Here's what happened. Last boss was hard but the battle was very dramatic for me.
    My fave character was a female sniper and by coincidence was also the chosen one. In the fight, 3 soldiers got mind controlled. 2 by those ethereals on the upper leaft and right side which i didn't see, the other was by the Uber ethereal. 1 was critically wounded (shot by mind contolled comrades), other finished his turn after missing the shot. So my last hope was my psionic chosen-one sniper with only 4 health left ( also got shot by mind contolled guys) who also had double tap: shot the Uber ethereal, 1st shot was luckily a crit for 15dmg, then 2nd shot was a headshot which brought the guy down
    . So my fave soldier turned out to be the hero...err heroine.

Now time for Ironman mode!

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    But then those sides wouldn't have a shield icon, so RinoaHeartily is right.

3. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Congrats dude! How long did it took you to complete it? I am on first bomb defusing mission, I haven't captured an alien yet.

4. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    30hours i think but i took my time and did a lot of missions and upgrades before researching the priority stuff just to be ready

5. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    That's also what I did. You have to think about the right timing to proceed in the story. Just bet the game on normal. Really great game. Now I try ironman mode.

6. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    What is ironman mode? I remember I left it unmarked when beginning the game on easy mode.

7. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Ironman mode is no saving then reloading once you make a mistake. Every decision and move you make is final

8. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks! I think I'll try that on my second playthrough :)

9. LILILIP

LILILIP Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Hello people

I am between this title or TWEWY

Both would be played on ITOUCH 5G , but since I ve heard ( before launch ) too many comments on how ran this I would like to know it now , after launch and such

¿ How it plays this game on that device ?

For sure I will end buying both , but now I only can purchase one or other . So its very important to me your opinion onto this

10. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    i have and beat both TWEWY and Xcom, and choosing between those 2 is really a dilemma lol since both of em are excellent! But if you want strategy and replay value (plus multiplayer is coming soon), get XCOM. If you want a deep and really really good story, get TWEWY. But i suggest getting them both :)

11. LILILIP

LILILIP Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Thanks ! ¡

But besides how great are both in terms of gameplay ( I suppose that are cool :p ) what I am asking is the perfomance on my IPOD

Lot of people said that XCOM was a pretty bad port , and that it had / have framerate problems on some devices that are not IPAD 4 or IPHONE 5

Is that true

12. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I am missing the psi lab to compete the game but there's an awesome action rpg that I need to play.. Lesebal... Damn it

13. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Soooo
    Kind of surprised this isn't on the charts. Is it not Selling?

14. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I don't agree. I'm having many hours of enjoyment for my 20$. I thought that at first, but the game is great. It has its flaws, sure, mainly due to memory issues and crashes, but you can deactivate soldier voices in the options to gain more stability, and I guess the MP update will also fix crashes.

I really hope the game doesn't drop price in several months, not because I like paying 20$ instead of 1$, but because I think that 20$ price-rate will allow for deeper/better games for iOS.

15. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Wait so this game lags on a iPhone 4S? Shame because if it is, I am saving up for this game. It's kinda cool to think that I could finally play PC games on the go.

16. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    both r great but if u have to make such a big decision pick xcom i have both too both r must buys like really must buyz

17. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I have an iPad 3 and an iPhone 4s, and the game installed on both. In both devices it works pretty well. Animations are a bit more rough on the 4s, but stability is better. For me it crashes far more on the iPad 3. I've had to disable soldier voices on the iPad 3 to gain stability. It crashes far less now without soldier voices, even though it still crashes every now and then (as in the iPhone 4s). On the iPhone 4s I have everything activated, soldier voice included, and it is very playable and doesn't crash too much. I guess it's memory leaks, because the 4s loads more things on the go compared to the iPad (for example the soldiers before going to a mission).

Since it's a strategy game, I don't notice the slowdowns/lag too much either, but I guess it depends on the person.

Gameplay wise, I've had many, many hours of entertainment, so I don't regret spending the 20$. It's possibly wise to say that if you have an iPad 2/iPod 5, wait for a stability update before buying the game.

18. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    now playing on classic ironman mode and i just lost ie. xcom project got shutdown after 2months in-game time. It's really hard but fun (masochist?)! Restarting the game on the same ironman difficulty, will be changing my tactics

19. NeilN

NeilN Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    What's the best way of getting rid of mind-controlled aliens? Can't shoot em, can't stun em, can't make em shoot each other... Grenades only do so much.

20. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    I usually only mind control guys that are in cover behind other aliens in positions to flank them. This usually gets them to attack their friend over my soldiers. If he survives the round, I can usually take at least one of them out before the other aliens finish him off.

However, if you are unable to get him killed, what I've found to be best is to put him in a position with no cover and use him as a forward sentry. But always make sure that at the end of each round, if there are no enemies around, he's out in the open, with two or three guys near him on overwatch, so that if you lose your hold on them you can gun them down before they cause any damage.