Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Certainly; for a while it seemed that at least half the complaints on TA were about games that had done just that. Firaxis have explicitly stated that XCOM won't have IAP elements, however.

2. NeilN

NeilN Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Sure they can. The original Angry Birds was a fully paid game with the Mighty Eagles IAP coming quite later.

3. Phoenix24

Phoenix24 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 7, 2012
    Lancashire, England
    Lots of paid for games have introduced IAP after launch and many more have gone from paid to freemium.

Fieldrunners 2 is and example of a paid for game which introduced IAP down the line, and is on sale today ;)

Nevertheless I don't see how anyone can have an issue where IAP offers an expansion on the game such as with Warhammer Quest. If you don't want the extra content then don't buy it, but if it expands the original game then few developers offer unlimited future content for free.

I am still waiting to see if there is going to be IAP here as I have $20 on my US account however I live in the UK and don't have a credit card on my US account, and don't want to be unable to buy any future IAP. If there is definitely going to be IAP for expansions then I will buy with my UK account- has this been confirmed anywhere one way or the other?

4. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Oh well.. As long as they keep the iap on extra contents not promised.. And not iap to make the game 'easier'

5. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    That would be a kick to the nuts for those who shelled $20:eek::rolleyes:

6. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Not if it were an expansion pack with new maps, missions and base building expansions.

I would very happily fork out the same amount again for additional content.
    I've never had this much fun with an iOS game, ever.

7. Wediafom24

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    That, I would have no problem. It's encouraged for more contents as a DLC:)

I know it won't happen but, adding consumable IAPs would be really annoying. It's those kinda of IAPs that I dislike if you know what I mean.

8. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I'm certain they wouldn't ever stoop to make consumable IAP's, nor IAP's to make the game easier, on the contrary, if the list from the other post showed, it'll be much, much harder.

Oh, dear, and I haven't even attempted to take on Classic Mode yet... :D

9. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Woo hoo completed my overseer!! Captured the ethereal lol.. This sucker really speed up research!! Now I have plenty of stuff in my engineering room but no cash to buy!!!

Btw which of the three are the best
    Titan
    Archangel
    Ghost

The ghost is really darn expensive but is it worth it?

10. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Go for the ghost armour; it gives the soldier the ability to become wholly invisible for an entire turn four times per mission (you can activate this at any time without using up an action, except if you've already exhausted that character for the turn), and comes with the same grappling hook as the skeleton suit.

11. Wediafom24

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Wow, just lost my best soldier (colonel) because of my poor decisions. The tactical gameplay is REAL. I love it.

12. mr_joe

mr_joe Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    This game is good

13. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    LOL

How have you *not* seen this? It happens all the time, and when it's not perceived as a good change, the internetz explode with nerd rage.

Apple doesn't care about developers doing this at all, not only because quite often it's not a big issue (e.g. additional level packs, etc.), but even when it is a kick in the nads for the original buyers, Apple is getting their cut.

14. mac00l

mac00l Member

Jan 30, 2013
    And what does your explanation has to do with anything? Under what assumption are you implying I have no idea what a memory leak is?

Let's say a very particular object within the plasma is leaking memory. In the early missions plasma impacts are only a few. Therefore under 6 missions you get to 20 instances and it crashes. But then when all your squad got the plasma weapons, you get those 20 instances within a single turn. Therefore crashing more often than at the beginning.

I know how iOS works. And that is exactly the reason why I'm assuming (as well as others) that a memory leak seems to be the problem.

15. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    4th July sales... Xcom to be free for a day!!!

** The ethereal forced me to say this**

16. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    My recommendation?

Give Titan to Heavy Class to act as you meat shields and go toe to toe when needed.
    Give Archangel to Snipers (Especially Majors) for the elevation bonus that can pull anywhere.
    Give Ghost to Support (especially when aiding a downed unit with heal or Stabilization) and sometimes to Sniper as well when nested.

17. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Bool are u on normal?

Do you mind sharing the photo of your facilities ? You know the one with the lift and all the facilities you built

18. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    howcan you change ur soldiers nationality????

19. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #1039 Bool Zero, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    Already beat normal, working on classic run through now so just in the early stages of base in this playthrough but I can help you nonetheless!

This pic is taken from: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/89098/what-is-the-perfect-base-layout
    It is pretty similar to what I usually setup in my playthroughs. Note that some moving of facilities is required. With this setup you will get the most bonuses you can from your facilities! This is what you want your base to look like once you can build all of these facilities, and should take the time to do missions and save money to work toward it. This will help knock out development and research quickly and offer the most bonuses you can possibly get.

Once all possible research is done, knock down those labs and make more workshops in their place!

Attached Files:

20. Sildani

Sildani Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2013
    High school social studies teacher
    NOVA
    You can't change nationality or gender.