Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Oh, I understand its purpose, but that wasn't the question, was it? It was "do you need the EMP cannon to take down the Overseer?", and you don't.

I'll take my Plasma Cannon and Fusion Lance over the EMP Cannon anyhow. You don't break that much and less time in the repair bay beats out the small difference in price a damaged vs intact item fetches on the grey market.

2. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I finally shot down the overseer.. With firestorm and emp.. Is that the grand finale? I hope not.. On the description it says final preparation..

I finally figured out how to include an additional slot.. It buying from the officer school lol... Playing with 5 members is so much easier!!!!

3. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Hands down the dumbest alien got to be muton berserker...

4. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Have you built the Psionic Lab, done Psionic testing and training, and built the Gollop Chamber? You need to do all that stuff to unlock the final mission and ending.

5. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    You can unlock up to 6 soldier slots in the barracks.

It should be an early priority, but good on you reaching this far with only 4 soldiers per mission. :)

6. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Ok, I love this game but, I am having trouble getting my soldiers climb up stuff. I am on iPhone 5 and it's frustrating so far. Is there an easier way to climb stuffs? I know it says to slide two fingers up but I end up moving the camera. Tips and tricks would be appreciated.

7. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    By the time you have a Firestorm and/or EMP cannon, no ship ever takes longer to repair than the time between UFO encounters, so that's not really an issue; if you're using another weapon you're simply throwing away money and resources for no reason. This is entirely your choice, naturally, but I wouldn't deliberately recommend sub-optimal choices to other players.

8. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Even on iPad I don't use fingers to move.. There buttons on the bottom left for you to rotate or increase decrease the height

9. Wediafom24

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Ok thanks, I will try that in a bit.

10. phandaal

phandaal Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    There is some preparation before you can go on the final mission but, yeah, it's the end.

11. Wediafom24

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Still having a problem. Can all my soldiers climb or only snipers? Or am I missing something?

12. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I would consider taking your own advice ;)

EMP is by far sub optimal to the Fusion Lance.

13. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    #993 Appletini, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
    Demonstrably untrue:

A Firestorm equipped with an EMP cannon will take down a UFO before it is destroyed itself, will be repaired before the next UFO encounter, and will provide more intact technology at the end of the following away mission.

A Firestorm equipped with a fusion lance will also take down a UFO before it is destroyed itself, will also be repaired before the next UFO encounter, but will provide less intact technology at the end of the following away mission.

A fusion lance might give you a psychological kick of the "America, **** Yeah!" variety, but it is an objectively inferior weapon overall that only gets worse the higher the difficulty you're playing on, something that has been widely recognised since the PC/console versions came out.

14. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Nope.

What he said ^

15. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    There's special armor you'll have to research, buy and equip that'll allow your soldiers to climb, assuming there's a wall to climb. They can't climb up trees, for instance.

Likewise, there's armor that'll allow soldiers to fly short distances, both vertically and horizontally. Upgrading those in the foundry will allow them better distance and mileage.

Besides that, all through the game there's ladders they can climb without special equipment.

16. Wediafom24

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Ok thanks, that was the answer I was looking for:)

17. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I have to side with Appletini on this one... Though in appearance it may look like the Fusion Lance is the better deal because of the immediate damage output as opposed to the occassions you will find yourself soaking up more damage while using the EMP because your ship has to be closer, in the long run the EMP is still the better weapon to use.

18. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    No problem. :)

I forgot to mention, remember to use the arrows on the down-left side of the screen to control altitude when climbing, otherwise the game will misinterpret your intended movement.

It can be a bit fiddly, but it works.

19. Wediafom24

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Ok thanks again, I appreciate it:)
    I have one more question for you,
    In order to climb, is there has to be a ladder? I know it's a dumb question, but just want to confirm. I am playing on iPhone 5 so, it's a bit tricky with its small screen.

20. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Without special armor, I believe you need a ladder.

It's always a good idea to get your sniper on high ground, like a roof or something, as it gives special bonuses to aim if you occupy high ground.

Also, some of the sniper perks you can get gives even more bonus in this case.

Can't recall the name of perks and armor, as I'm at work now, and is writing in the TA app when I have a bit of time. :)